massive math assignment

Originally posted by ActuarialMadness@May 18 2006, 07:09 AM
Well Blood, Drizzt and Mag.

I'm truly sorry you feel that way about mathematics. You really are missing out on some beautiful stuff. I think part of the problem is how poorly mathematics are taught in HS. I know it's necessary to build that foundation I was talking about, but there is so much opportunity to make math fun too. I could design a curriculum that incorporated games, puzzles, and really cool neat tricks to show you how math touches all corners of this world. For example, did you know that nearly every really complex card trick runs solely on mathematical principles? Do you want to know how the internet keeps your credit card/bank info secure from 3rd parties? How about how we detect errors in data that's transmitted through noisy channels? Or how insurance companies figure out how much to charge you in insurance for that fiery new convertible your parents just bought you? Math touches every conceivable part of your reality.
I still hate math. :lol:

Well you guys will lose in the end. Math gets you money, fame, glory, chicks, cars. Pretty much anything you could want in this world. :)

I thought being a hard-working, decent human being got you that stuff.

BTW, you can love math and not be a nerd. I'm far from a nerd actually, even though I can be nerdy when I want to. You'd never know it if you saw me.

Originally posted by ActuarialMadness@May 18 2006, 06:06 PM
BTW, you can love math and not be a nerd. I'm far from a nerd actually, even though I can be nerdy when I want to. You'd never know it if you saw me.
Nerds are good things to be.

Originally posted by dascoot@May 18 2006, 02:05 PM
I thought being a hard-working, decent human being got you that stuff.
Nope. Not in this day and age. You can work your butt off in a lot of subjects but most of them that will bring the cha-ching are math related. Being decent is good for society, but won't bring you all that happiness.

Wait a tic, you're not implying that money = happiness are you?

Originally posted by dascoot@May 18 2006, 02:08 PM
Wait a tic, you're not implying that money = happiness are you?
It's a piece of the puzzle that is required for happiness. You are right that money alone does not equal happiness but without money, you will not be happy. It's needed to pursue a lot in life and provide basic needs and comforts. Living pay check to pay check and barely getting by without any fun in life usually doesn't lead to happiness. And unfortunately fun costs money.

If you don't mind wearing Big Lots underwear, you can make a very comfortable living by playing with polymer clay and changing adult diapers on the weekend. I'm just sayin.

Back