massive math assignment

Originally posted by ActuarialMadness+May 17 2006, 10:10 AM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (ActuarialMadness @ May 17 2006, 10:10 AM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'>
Originally posted by drizzt_fan14@May 17 2006, 08:59 AM
<!--QuoteBegin-ActuarialMadness
@May 17 2006, 05:40 AM
That's an Algebra II/Pre-calculus class. What do you need help on? It looks like grunt work to me.

:mellow: ouch
It's not an insult, Drizt. If you study math at a university level, you'll see that all HS mathematics (unless you went to a gifted school) was very rudimentary in its applications. The point of HS math is to give you the tools necessary to dig into the true complexities of mathematics. Think of HS math as the canvas, paint, and brush and the classes that follow as a beautiful painting created with those tools. [/b][/quote]
Fuck math.

Originally posted by Bloodlessr+May 17 2006, 10:15 AM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (Bloodlessr @ May 17 2006, 10:15 AM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'>
Originally posted by ActuarialMadness@May 17 2006, 10:10 AM
That's an Algebra II/Pre-calculus class. What do you need help on? It looks like grunt work to me.

It's not an insult, Drizt. If you study math at a university level, you'll see that all HS mathematics (unless you went to a gifted school) was very rudimentary in its applications. The point of HS math is to give you the tools necessary to dig into the true complexities of mathematics. Think of HS math as the canvas, paint, and brush and the classes that follow as a beautiful painting created with those tools.
Fuck math. [/b][/quote]
amen! :lol:

Originally posted by ActuarialMadness+May 17 2006, 10:10 AM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (ActuarialMadness @ May 17 2006, 10:10 AM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'>

It's not an insult, Drizt. If you study math at a university level, you'll see that all HS mathematics (unless you went to a gifted school) was very rudimentary in its applications. The point of HS math is to give you the tools necessary to dig into the true complexities of mathematics. Think of HS math as the canvas, paint, and brush and the classes that follow as a beautiful painting created with those tools. [/b][/quote]
:blink: ..... :lol:

Originally posted by ActuarialMadness+May 17 2006, 02:11 PM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (ActuarialMadness @ May 17 2006, 02:11 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-dascoot@May 17 2006, 05:59 AM
The math god has arrived.
Hi Dascoot, assume you're talking about me. Anything you want to know or need help on? [/b][/quote]
No no, just announcing your arrival. :)

Originally posted by dascoot+May 17 2006, 10:52 PM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (dascoot @ May 17 2006, 10:52 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'>
Originally posted by ActuarialMadness@May 17 2006, 02:11 PM
<!--QuoteBegin-dascoot
@May 17 2006, 05:59 AM
The math god has arrived.

Hi Dascoot, assume you're talking about me. Anything you want to know or need help on?
No no, just announcing your arrival. :) [/b][/quote]
melissa is your herald, chronicler and stalker

Originally posted by dascoot+May 17 2006, 11:28 PM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (dascoot @ May 17 2006, 11:28 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-Scythe@May 17 2006, 05:25 PM
melissa is your...stalker
^ Truth. [/b][/quote]
^ Opinion

Originally posted by cultclassic+May 16 2006, 11:34 PM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (cultclassic @ May 16 2006, 11:34 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'>
Originally posted by leone@May 16 2006, 10:29 AM
<!--QuoteBegin-cultclassic
@May 16 2006, 01:26 AM
need beer;

:lol: I've got a pre-calc final next week. Depending on how I did on yesterdays test, I might buy you a six-pack. :eek:k:
I'd like the one from your basement... you know, the beer with candy floating on it.. mmmm... Skittlebrau *droooool* :) [/b][/quote]
:lol: You mean the M&Mbrau. :lol:

I got the same grade as the last exam but if you want you can proof-read it for stoopid mistakes. :)

Well Blood, Drizzt and Mag.

I'm truly sorry you feel that way about mathematics. You really are missing out on some beautiful stuff. I think part of the problem is how poorly mathematics are taught in HS. I know it's necessary to build that foundation I was talking about, but there is so much opportunity to make math fun too. I could design a curriculum that incorporated games, puzzles, and really cool neat tricks to show you how math touches all corners of this world. For example, did you know that nearly every really complex card trick runs solely on mathematical principles? Do you want to know how the internet keeps your credit card/bank info secure from 3rd parties? How about how we detect errors in data that's transmitted through noisy channels? Or how insurance companies figure out how much to charge you in insurance for that fiery new convertible your parents just bought you? Math touches every conceivable part of your reality.

Perhaps, but woot for diversity or we'd have a world of actuaries and no music or pizza or clean floors to enjoy. I'm sure they don't mean they think math is useless, just that they don't particularly care for taking classes in it.

Originally posted by dascoot@May 18 2006, 09:54 AM
we'd have a world of actuaries and no music or pizza or clean floors to enjoy.
:lol: :lol: :lol:

Well you can be diverse yet still love and appreciate mathematics. I play music, piano and saxophone, love pizza (cook a variety of cuisines) and a whole bunch of other activites, and still appreciate and love math. And, there are plenty of average joes, just like me, working traditional jobs across the world that still appreciate the beauty of mathematics and its relevance and importance. Obviously, given the size of the human population, hordes of people are going to detest mathematics or will never have the intelligence to really understand it. I'm just trying to sway the people who sit in delicate balance and could go either way, since I don't think America's school systems are helping bring anyone over to my side.

Use Tylenol, Advil just makes it heavier. And jumping up and down in place will help with the cramps.

Back