Diamond is Forever "How Can I Tell You" Cat Power

Unreleased track made for the commercial:

"How Can I Tell You" by Cat Power

At least I think it's De Beers, I saw the "A Diamond is Forever" slogan, so I figure its them but anyway, it's a guy giving his wife some jewelry in bed, an acoustic song with a woman singing is playing. What is it?

**of course you could've just done a search and found the answer here as well**

not to be a jerk :)

Regarding the question of whether or not Cat Power performed the cover of "How Can I Tell You" for the DeBeers tv ad "A Diamond is Forever", I offer this quote from her music label "Matador Records":

And yes, that is Chan you hear singing the Cat Stevens song "How Can I Tell You" in the new DeBeers ad. No plans to release it as far as we know, so quit asking. The entire article can be viewed at their web site found below.

http://www.matadorrecords.com/cat_power/

If anyone is so inclined, you can also contact the DeBeers company.

Alright capn'; give me a break. I overlooked that earlier post. I guess that make us two independent sources citing a common reference from which one can only conclude that it is indeed Cat Power. Way to go; you solved it!

Originally posted by logan01@Dec 21 2006, 02:09 PM
Alright capn'; give me a break. I overlooked that earlier post. I guess that make us two independent sources citing a common reference from which one can only conclude that it is indeed Cat Power. Way to go; you solved it!
Sorry, logan; I was just messin' with ya. I wasn't the one who confirmed it was her, though I did originally think it sounded like her. But it's kinda funny how some still continue to doubt that it's Cat Power; so I guess another confirmation can't hurt.

When I saw her perform last month and I heard someone call out a request for her to sing the song, I was hoping to get further confirmation. Unfortunately she didn't comply. :D

It's funny, it's sad. If this goes on much longer, I think we should seek compensation!

i got the song!!
just go to limewire and type it in
its sounds better in the commerical
she mainly just sings the same verses over and over
but its still a gu'd song
:)

Originally posted by mexicano_024@Dec 21 2006, 04:05 PM
i got the song!!
I'm going to take a wild guess and say that someone took the audio from the commercial, looped it, and let it loose on limewire.

Originally posted by trialofmiles+Dec 21 2006, 04:10 PM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (trialofmiles @ Dec 21 2006, 04:10 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-mexicano_024@Dec 21 2006, 04:05 PM
i got the song!!
I'm going to take a wild guess and say that someone took the audio from the commercial, looped it, and let it loose on limewire. [/b][/quote]
You're probably right. :lol:

I knew it was cat power from the first note! It confused me because i don't have that song on any of her albums.Damnit Chan! i want to cry:(

The person who sings the A Diamond is Forever is Regina Spektor. The reason i know this is because i hated her voice and music, until I heard the song in the commercial. I had never heard the song before but i new from the second I heard her voice that it was her... since then i downloaded all her music and now i love.. however "How can I tell you" has not been yet release

robertcroman

Originally posted by robertcroman@Dec 23 2006, 12:56 PM
The person who sings the A Diamond is Forever is Regina Spektor. The reason i know this is...
:wave:

Please review this thread... It's Cat Power, not Regina Spektor. :)

Again, from her record label:

"And yes, that is Chan you hear singing the Cat Stevens song 'How Can I Tell You' in the new DeBeers ad. No plans to release it as far as we know, so quit asking."

to help everyone out with their whole "wheres the damn song!?" & "regina spektor sings it, dammit!" arguments & controversies... if you have limewire, type in Liz Durrent under artist & find "How can I tell you"

prepare to be confused. Now you guys can argue over whether its Regina, Chan(Cat Powers), & Liz Durrent.

personally, because I've listened to both & did alot of research, the song I downloaded from Liz Durrent isn't actually Liz Durrent. I believe someone has gotten all of the names confused. But what would you expect from a repeatedly covered song?

needless to say; none of these ladies could butcher the song if they tried because they're all pretty damn good... but one of them is the actual singer & I'll keep it posted when I get my msg bak from an administrator. :)
-TrY

the husband gets up and get the necklace out of the clock and then puts its on the wife and then she wakes up. I know the song is originally cat stevens but what the name of the version by regina spektor

It is not Regina Spektor. It is Cat Power and it is a cover of the Cat Stevens song "How Can I Tell You". There is some similarity vocally between the two.

Definitive answer; The song is titled "How Can I Tell You" by Cat Stevens and can be found on The Search (Box Set CD2) released in 2001 or Teaser And The Firecat released in 1971. The song appears to have indeed been re-made by Cat Power specifically for the commercial as it can not be located. As others have written, hopefully she will come out with a full length version.

Back