This woman makes me SICK!

Originally posted by Sir_Garland@May 19 2006, 11:24 AM
So "you Christians" think they have the world figured out huh? First off, it's an OPINION or belief. You call that arrognace?? [

-Not every christian goes around telling everyone this. But their belief is that if you are not saved then yes, you go to hell. And how is that arrogant again? That's their belief. That's their RIGHT. If you don't agree then fine. It does not make them stupid or arrogant. YOU going around calling people ignorant because of their beliefs seems pretty damn arrogant to me.

Even if you don't say it personally to me, you still believe it and that makes religion a malignant, destrustive device that will naturally partition our society and cause problems for years to come.
How so? Yes religion is sooo destructive. It teaches bad and evil to our society.

Well, it doesn't matter cause in the end YOU are the only one here with true happiness right? Cause you have money. And someone living paycheck to paycheck cannot possibly be happy even though they love their family and spending time with them means all the happiness in the world, they must just be mistaken on what happiness is cause they haven't gone to vegas and blown tons of money. What was that sarcastic smiley Dan? <_<
If it's an opinion, then can you admit that you might be wrong? I don't know many Christians who can admit that all their beliefs are potentially false and based on parables, hyberboles, and myths. That's the different between you and me. I can fully admit that anything I might think is true, is in fact false. Christians cannot do that based on my experience with them.

How is telling someone they're going to Hell arrogant? Hmm let's see now. It presumes you have the knowledge to judge whether or not they experience eternal euphoria or internal agony and pain. Do think you're qualified to make that call? Because some book has told you it's so, you're going to go around proclaiming you know the future of every human soul based off the simple action of belief vs. non-belief. No..that's not the least bit arrogant.

I've mentioned before that religion is helpful on a microcosmic scale but destructive on a macro social and economic scale. Do you know about anything that's going on in the world? Why do you think Iraqis are killing each other? Why are Israel and Palestine blowing each other up? Why is the province of Kashmir (Northern India) under constant duress? Why have parts of Ireland been under strife for decades? ALL of these conflicts are rooted solely in religious war because one groups thinks they're better than the others. Be it various classes of Muslims battling amongst themselves, Jews vs. Muslims, Hindus vs. Muslims, Protestants vs. Catholics, etc. You cannot deny that on a global scale religion destroys far more than it creates.

My Vegas analogy was a metaphor to tell you to break out of your mold. I've already explained what I meant by my money comments. Living pay check to pay check seriously hinders someone from seeing all the wonders of this world, but it doesn't make it impossible.

Memo to ActuarialPieceOfShit:

No one wants you here. Kindly see your self out and shut the fuck up!

Originally posted by andy@May 19 2006, 11:55 AM

HI Andy. Did old lovable Charles finally give you a good whooping? I hope you have kept the weight off.

That's the different between you and me. I can fully admit that anything I might think is true, is in fact false.

I never said that I couldn't admit the possibility of me being wrong. I said it was a belief. I absolutely could be wrong. No big deal. And if I end up being wrong no harm done. In fact, I've strived to be a good person. Nothing wrong with that. What do YOU care if christians are wrong? You don't believe in it so why does it matter.

Look, you simply cannot go around bashing others beliefs. 1. You're not going to get a very good response. and 2. What's the point? I mean really? Does it make you feel better to tell the 85-90% of people that believe in a higher power that they are stupid? Good for you. :eek:k: I disagree but I don't think that you are stupid or arogant because you think differently. I DO however think that you are acting like an ass by saying some of the things that you are saying. See, most of us here are very open-minded and love discussions with opposing viewpoints and are capable of having a discussion like that without thinking less of a person for how they think.

How is telling someone they're going to Hell arrogant? Hmm let's see now. It presumes you have the knowledge to judge whether or not they experience eternal euphoria or internal agony and pain. Do think you're qualified to make that call? Because some book has told you it's so, you're going to go around proclaiming you know the future of every human soul based off the simple action of belief vs. non-belief. No..that's not the least bit arrogant.

Again, because it is a belief. It's a belief in a higher power and the decisions of right and wrong and that there is more than just the flesh.
I think that telling someone that they are stupid for beliving a certain way is completely arrogant. But hey, that's just my belief. *shrugs*

Take a cue from the Jews who realize no one will buy into their BS and keep it all private and separated.

Not exactly, it isn't "their BS", people don't "buy into" their religion. It's just that Jews believe that it is the persons job to become Jewish, and we shouldn't try to persuade them. I'm a liberal Jew, and we just believe that religion and governmnent should be separate. Everything is better if religion and government is separate, just remember, religion in governemt is a double edged sword, religion controls government, and government controls religion. Remember that :eek:k:

Do you understand Actuarial Madness?
It isn't BS, and people don't "Buy into" Judaism

Originally posted by Sir_Garland@May 19 2006, 12:04 PM
Again, because it is a belief. It's a belief in a higher power and the decisions of right and wrong and that there is more than just the flesh.
I think that telling someone that they are stupid for beliving a certain way is completely arrogant. But hey, that's just my belief. *shrugs*
I had typed out a nice long response but the database crashed and I don't have the patience to recreate it. Basically though, I applaud you for admitting you could have no clue about any of this. That makes me happy.

I'm not openly attacking individual beliefs here. I "believe" it's wrong but you "believe" it's right. It's an OPINION as you've put. I still respect whatever you chose.

You are still proclaiming arrogance in your adoption of Christianity however. You present the concept of a higher being who makes right and wrong decisions but then go the extra step and say you understand his decisions and know the blueprint he follows. In other words, you know exactly how this higher being will judge you. But if he's so superior to you, what makes you think you have a chance of understanding his actions and motives?

Originally posted by Space Cataz@May 19 2006, 12:09 PM
Take a cue from the Jews who realize no one will buy into their BS and keep it all private and separated.

Not exactly, it isn't "their BS", people don't "buy into" their religion. It's just that Jews believe that it is the persons job to become Jewish, and we shouldn't try to persuade them. I'm a liberal Jew, and we just believe that religion and governmnent should be separate. Everything is better if religion and government is separate, just remember, religion in governemt is a double edged sword, religion controls government, and government controls religion. Remember that :eek:k:

Do you understand Actuarial Madness?
It isn't BS, and people don't "Buy into" Judaism
Well some go even further and say it's a person's birth right to be Jewish and if your mom's not a Jew, you'll never be one. I was talking more about the Orthodox Jews and not liberal. I find a lot of the Sabbath rules to be utter nonsense. I know they have important meaning but I think they're unncessary in this day and age (I'm Jewish too btw, although not in Orthodox eyes).

You aren't entirely correct because people do convert to Judaism. One of my best friends in college converted to Judaism from Christianity. It's just not very common or heard of because the Jews aren't trying to actively recruit new followers.

I 100% agree with you that religion and government shoudl be completely separated.

Originally posted by andy@May 19 2006, 11:55 AM

I agree, gtfo ass.

Originally posted by ActuarialMadness+May 19 2006, 03:36 PM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (ActuarialMadness @ May 19 2006, 03:36 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-Sir_Garland@May 19 2006, 12:04 PM
I had typed out a nice long response but the database crashed and I don't have the patience to recreate it. Basically though, I applaud you for admitting you could have no clue about any of this. That makes me happy.

I'm not openly attacking individual beliefs here. I "believe" it's wrong but you "believe" it's right. It's an OPINION as you've put. I still respect whatever you chose.

You are still proclaiming arrogance in your adoption of Christianity however. You present the concept of a higher being who makes right and wrong decisions but then go the extra step and say you understand his decisions and know the blueprint he follows. In other words, you know exactly how this higher being will judge you. But if he's so superior to you, what makes you think you have a chance of understanding his actions and motives? [/b][/quote]
Mine was doing it as well.

And that's all we ask. The whole reason you even got a reaction from me is because by saying that those who believe in an organized religion are not intelligent is disrespectful to many people on here. You are certainly entitled to your opinions and can express them just don't belittle others. ;)

You are still proclaiming arrogance in your adoption of Christianity however. You present the concept of a higher being who makes right and wrong decisions but then go the extra step and say you understand his decisions and know the blueprint he follows. In other words, you know exactly how this higher being will judge you. But if he's so superior to you, what makes you think you have a chance of understanding his actions and motives?

This is going nowhere. What you are claiming is arogance, is simply how someone believes. There is nothing arrogant about it. Belief of the unknown is called faith. You cannot prove it but you still believe it. I don't see that as arrogance at all.

Originally posted by Bloodlessr+May 19 2006, 12:47 PM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (Bloodlessr @ May 19 2006, 12:47 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-andy@May 19 2006, 11:55 AM

I agree, gtfo ass. [/b][/quote]
Blood Lesser's like the bully's little 5 foot sidekick who follows him around everywhere and echos all his taunts and insults in a high, nasaly voice.

Originally posted by Sir_Garland@May 19 2006, 12:55 PM
This is going nowhere. What you are claiming is arogance, is simply how someone believes. There is nothing arrogant about it. Belief of the unknown is called faith. You cannot prove it but you still believe it. I don't see that as arrogance at all.
If you can simply call it faith, separate it from reality and leave it at that, then again I applaud you. The problem is many of your brothers and sisters are unable to do this. It is these people I have a serious problem with. I apologize if I erroneously mischaracterized you, Sir Garland.

Originally posted by ActuarialMadness+May 19 2006, 04:02 PM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (ActuarialMadness @ May 19 2006, 04:02 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-Sir_Garland@May 19 2006, 12:55 PM
If you can simply call it faith, separate it from reality and leave it at that, then again I applaud you. The problem is many of your brothers and sisters are unable to do this. It is these people I have a serious problem with. I apologize if I erroneously mischaracterized you, Sir Garland. [/b][/quote]
You're right, there are those that simply cannot admit the possibility that they could possibly be wrong. Probably a reason for some of that is they think that it would show signs of weakness in their faith. There are lots of people though that still believe in a higher power and don't try to scare other people into it and can act like a decent person respecting others beliefs.

But yes there are some bad apples out there that give religion a bad rap. Such as the church that this thread was started over.

Well some go even further and say it's a person's birth right to be Jewish and if your mom's not a Jew, you'll never be one. I was talking more about the Orthodox Jews and not liberal. I find a lot of the Sabbath rules to be utter nonsense. I know they have important meaning but I think they're unncessary in this day and age (I'm Jewish too btw, although not in Orthodox eyes).

I'm a Jew by birth, the reason I stopped really being a Jew is because of the useless rules (Sabbath, Keeping Kosher, et cetera), and the horrifying time I had at hebrew school.

And I actually have my hebrew school to thank for my new ideas (They were just a bunch of Assholes, Dipshits, and Douchebags), I realized that it was useless to keep kosher or to not use power on religious holidays, so I just started thinking that all you have to do is be a kind and understanding person. I thought, if there is a god, he doesn't care about keeping Kosher or resting on the Sabbath. Those are just add ons to religion that are useless. He just wants me to be a good person. Some people need religion to steer them in the right direction.

Originally posted by Sir_Garland@May 19 2006, 05:14 PM
You're right, there are those that simply cannot admit the possibility that they could possibly be wrong. Probably a reason for some of that is they think that it would show signs of weakness in their faith. There are lots of people though that still believe in a higher power and don't try to scare other people into it and can act like a decent person respecting others beliefs.

:) I love you...

Back