A little more something about animals

aww thanks for all the tips!!!! :) yes he may do whaveter he wants to in my room.... I gotta teach him not to keep going into the trashcan, he never did but he tries to climb in, I've told him not to do that and took him of the edge of the trashcan, it helps, he hasn't done it for a while. He also becomes less scraed of me, when I get low to the ground and move more often, he wont run away, but when I wanna grab him he does gently bite, only ONCE he actually hurt me when he bit my between the index finger and thumb (the stretchy skin ya know) so I said OW and pulled my hand away... I've heard that helps. Any more tiips on how to get him tame and less wild?? :) but thanks for though for all the other help :)

Getting low on the ground and saying his name like you were doing is great cause he feels less intimidated. Yeah, the trash thing was always difficult. They like to climb into things. We always would just put the trash can up high whenever we let them out. Sounds like you're doing really good though. If you find a book on ferrets or anything you should read it cause those always help. Oh yeah, there's also a magazine we used to get. I think this might be it but I'm not positive. But it had a lot of information in it and was just interesting to read.

I'm trying to think of what else to tell you but it sounds like you're doing good. Just know that it will take some time for him to really warm up to you. They aren't as easy to tame as other pets. You just have to have lots of patience.

We gave our ferrets some cat toys as well, like little chew ones (without catnip) or the ball with the bell in it. Stuff like that. My husbands father works for an office supplies company so he would always get those big tubes for like shipping big posters and stuff and they loved running through those. They also like these kinds of things.

Originally posted by a_iver@Sep 22 2005, 07:31 PM
I'm not feeling good :sick: :(
Ah darn *grabs you a puke bag* just take it outside alright? Not in here

so yeah, thanks again for aaall the tips Rhonda, and yes I already have this ferret book but I don't know, a lot of things just seems so different than from stuff I read on the internet. Well I just got back from this HUGE petstore here, just bought my spider some more dirt and bought Freddy these little plastic balls attached by a sting with a little like bell in it so it makes a sound n' all .... it's a birds toy but its cute! He seems to get tamer and tamer :)

:) Good deal! I'm sure if you keep playing with him that he'll get all tame. And if you get him tame enough, you can actually take him places with you. Like my husband used to take our tamest one places just by sitting him inside his coat. It was pretty cute.

Yeah I wanna put it in my hoody! you know, that belly pocket thingy that some hoodies have? :) it's way big enough so yeah !

Are you suposed to leave the litterbox in ONE corner? like in the one and only corner you've ever put it the first time? I actually moved the litterbox to another corner and the next morning (and it happened twice) there's poo right in the old corner of the cage, not in the litterbox .... and this morning I saw it again, I've just cleaned it up. There was some more in the actual litterbox though .... maybe he's getting used to this new corner?

I can't actually tie up the litterbox, the wires of the cage are juuuust a little too high ... so the hooks could snap if he sits in it, in the old corner he'd move the litterbox around, like he thinks there's something behind it or something, that's why I moved the litterbox to another corner, and now he hasnt moved it at all .... except he still does business on the ground in the old corner ... BUT maybe gets used to the NEW litterbox corner ... :p makes sense?

Well I gotta go to school ... thanks for the help ;)

Yeah, they usually pick a favorite corner so he may have gotten confused. You shouldn't need to tie it up. We have a pretty big sized litter box though and she can't move it at all.

Well ... the litterbox thing is all fixed. Now I gotta train him a little bit on how to not bite my toes!!! :p I know he just likes to follow my socks around and will bite them, but it can actually hurt like a mother!!!!! :p Sorry I got not much to say, I'm very tired, just watched the movie Crash...

goodnight

Awww now Freddy is collecting stuff!! :D What he does is he finds all kinds of junk and drags it under my bed. He has a huge piece of paper, a part of my old shoe and right now he's busy draggin' a cardboard folder to my bed. He's a little stealer :ph34r:

I hand feed a cat in Costa Rica, it was outside of our bungaloo or whatever and it was meowing so I went out with a bowl of chicken noodle soup we didnt eat and set it down for the cat to slurp. He slurped it for awhile but he didnt like the salantro so I picked the chunks of chicken out and feed them to him. He was starving. I've never seen a cat eat food out of a persons hand before so it was kind of weird.

Originally posted by Gussler@Sep 25 2005, 02:46 PM
Awww now Freddy is collecting stuff!! :D What he does is he finds all kinds of junk and drags it under my bed. He has a huge piece of paper, a part of my old shoe and right now he's busy draggin' a cardboard folder to my bed. He's a little stealer :ph34r:
:lol:
That brings back memories. Yeah, I've lost tons of hairbrushes and cigarettes (back when we used to smoke). I was funny because when we moved we found all kinds of stuff that they had hidden.

yeah my goldfish used to steal my shoes all the time... :blink:

*sigh* I desperately need to train my ferret to NOT scratch and chew up my bed! :( He had crawled under the bed and chewed a hole in the box spring and went into it!!! DAMN that pissed me off (this was a few days ago) and so now I've removed the frame from my bed so now the box spring's flat on the ground, so that Freddy can't go under it, but now he THINKS he still can! so sometimes he'll try and reach under the bed by violently scratching and biting the bed! I keep removing him from the area and tell him NO! I also tried shaking him a lil, in this book they said you gotta shake him gently by the scruff like the mom does, telling him something that he does is not good, but I guess that takes time and patience, cause nomatter how many times I remove him and tell him not to do that, he'll just walk back to the bed right away! but other than that he is still nice and playful.

Freddy says hi.

bye!

Yeah. You told me LOTS of times and I WILL buy some today!!!..... if I don't forget! I'm going out after school so I should be able to get some. Thanks again though.

So what will you teach the ferret when you let it have some apple bitter from your finger?

You don't feed it the stuff it's just a spray that tastes really bad to them and trains them not to bite. So like, if he's biting your fingers, you spray a bit on your fingers and he will stop biting them. If he's chewing on say a shoe or yours, spray a bit where he's chewing and he will stop. Make sense?

Sorry I missed you on messenger btw. ;)

Well.... instead of apple bitter I bought this Indoor Repellent spray (for cats) the lady from the petstore knew quite a lot sbout ferrets and said that the apple bitter can still make him chew on stuff that you don't want it to chew, but won't like the taste and eventually spots chewing that spot you sprayed on, BUt it can still scratch ... and with me he mostly scratches and tries to dig under stuff, so the lady said that this repellent stuff is mostly to really keep it away from an area that you dont want it to be in. like in my case, behind the bed, behind my set set thingy. and I sprayed it around places in my room I dont want it to be, and it works soooo good!! :D he still sniffs my bed but then leaves it alone! no more scratching. And the area by my tv.... he won't touch it! :) yay

and now he's playing happily with the junk he had collected the other day :)

Back