The Krays

If you'd be inclined to buy a copy of "The Krays," there were 23 used VHS copies for sale on amazon from $5.29 just earlier today. Maybe the song/score is listed in the credits...

Has anyone ever actually seen The Krays? If this score is used in the moive and not just the trailer then we would have a far simpler task in looking up the soundtrack rather than tracking down some obscure opera.

Oh, and in case anyone was still wondering; I listened to Carmina Burana from start to finish the other day and this is NOT part of any movement in the cantata.

Been through this one, too. Neither The Krays, any version of the score to The Krays, or anything remotely involved that was released for The Krays has the music on it. It is solely on the trailer to the film, and the best guess is that it is part of a royalty-free music collection used by companies. What that collection is, who sells it, or why it is so difficult to find is beyond us.

J

I wish I never read this thread cause now I want to know. Funny, cause I've always heard this song, but never stopped to find out who it was. And since it's an unsolved mystery... :ph34r:

I suspect that this might be the work of Carl Orff after all. Mostly in Latin and some in Middle High German, this is right up Orff's alley. I'm going to check out Catulli Carmina and Trionfo di Afrodite, two of his lesser known operas. Along with Carmina Burana they make up a trilogy. I'm told that all three use similar orchestral arrangements and that certain movements are often confused with ones from the other two. This might explain why so many people confused the music used in the Krays' trailer with O Fortuna. Wish me luck.

I was just listening to the Prelude of Die Walkure (Richard Wagner) and it struck me as being extremely close in style to the opening bars of the Krays trailer.

Listen to a sample here. (Track #1)

Maybe what we're looking for is lurking somewhere in the 15 hours of the Ring Cycle...!

I saw the entire "Ring" cycle in Seattle in 2001 and it's not in Wagner's "Ring."

Also, it was just on TV TONIGHT, in an ad for a TV show, not sure which one. Might have been "Wife Swap" or similar.

hexicon, do you remember which night the commercial aired? If do you do we just have to find someone that Tivo'd Leno that night. If it was for "Wife Swap" it will probably be aired again and again and again...ect. One more thing, are you sure you saw the entier Ring cycle, its something like 15 hours long. If anyone wants to make sure Wagner is not our man, Amazon lets you sample all 177 movements.

Wagner - Der Ring des Nibelungen (Ring Cycle)

Also an update, I just finished listening to Catulli Carmina and it was not in there. I'm still trying to get a hold of a copy of Trionfo di Afrodite. I'll let you guys know if I find anything.

well, Michael Kamen and Chris Rea made the score for the krays, so maybe if you research them you may find it

I have The Krays score and its not on it, but i still say its from some movie score.

Erm, not to sound snotty, but yes, I am aware that the Ring cycle is a fifteen hour work in four operas. I'm a ten-year subscriber to S.O. and I paid a lot of money for what was mostly the pleasure of sitting through the whole thing. I would be shocked if S.O. performed the opera with cuts of any significance. I've been wondering about this piece of music since I saw "A Season in Purgatory" back in 96 or 97 and I would definitely have noticed if it were in the Ring.

Now that I think about it I don't think the TV show for which I heard the commercial was Wife Swap, I think it was for one of those home makeover shows and it involved a Goth family.

That would fit in with Expired Cereal's and Illusion's comments Sept 18 and 20.Isuppose we could contact the show...
Looks like the Friends website couldn't track it down.I'll e-mail a reminder.

I didn't mean to offend hexicon. I just wanted to make sure it we were all on the same page. To tell you the truth I am a bit jealous. We don't get that kind of culture down here in Miami. I'd be surprised if they organized a performance of Die Walküre let alone the complete Ring Cycle. We don't even have a classical music radio sation anymore (the format was changed to Dance/Techno). If you say its not in the Ring, I will take your word for it.

Oh and by the way, theres nothing wrong with being a little bit snotty to make a point. :D

Originally posted by kyrie_eleison03@Oct 30 2004, 05:56 PM
From the little bit you can hear on the trailor...could it be Carmina Burana (sp?)
that's been suggested several times earlier in the thread and it has been proved NOT to be from carmina burana at all. :)

How about Tom Savini's website. You can email him, he might know the tune- he's been around for awhile!

Hey guys, I fianlly got a copy of Trionfo di Afrodite and I'm sad to report its not part of this opera either. :(

I'm gonna try what you suggested nickrocks. Do you have a URL or email address for Savini? Otherwise I'll just do a search on Google.

Hey guys, is this the Savini you are talking about? His email is half way down the page...

Back