The Krays

I never heard this music before. Did you try to email the"E" channel yet? also ,did you check the credits at the end of the films?
How about checking the Time-life website? Sometimes I do that. :)

Following Jericho's tip I e-mailed the Friends website,which has a sub-site for the music and this is the answer,which sounds encouraging.

"Still trying to find an answer for this one. I have found someone who may be able to tell me. I'll update my music doc if I get an answer."

I used to be looking for this song and this thread has sparked my interest all over again.

The song was featured in Disney's Gargoyles The Movie trailer/preview/teaser. I am still not sure what it is and from experience, searching for classical music with nothing or barely nothing to start with is a JOB. It took me eight years to find a song I loved that was used every holiday season.

After listening to the track again several times in the Krays trailer, the song very well may be something that John Williams has come up with. His style is like the old classicals (such as his peice Duel of the Fates).

I've also browsed Amazon for hints and have downloaded a few seconds of various songs (takes awhile with dialup) it ALSO sounds a lot like Mozart or maybe Greig.

Happy hunting. I'll continue to look.

Okay, more summation for those just joining the thread: The song was featured on...

The Krays Trailer
Episode of Friends: Rachel Leaves, Tree Gets Thrown in Chipper
Cartoon Network Theatre: Scooby Doo Meets Boo Brothers Commercial
Six Flags Roller Coaster Ad

=o)

I think this song was also used in one of the first trailers for "The Phantom Menace" when it first came out.

I know this isn't "O Fortuna" by Orff, but has anyone listened to the rest of the tracks from Carmina Burana? I used to have a copy, but my girls lost it at school. I tried to listen to the snippets on iTunes and few sounded promising.

Cheers!

I've got that CD, I'll listen to it and see if I notice anything.

Edit to add: Listened to the whole CD I have (St. Louis Symphony Orchestra & Chorus), and I don't hear anything worth more investigation.

Still on the case!

I Tivo'd the E special, but I haven't had a chance to watch it yet. I'll try to get to it tonight and see if anything is mentioned in the credits. I won't hold my breath though! I did send an email to E regarding the music, but so far they have not responded. I also sent a letter to the creators of "The Krays" trailer, but an answer may take awhile. They are located in the UK and they do not appear to have an email address. The question had to be sent via snail mail. We'll just have to wait and see! Hopefully, someone else here will be able to identify it sooner!

Well, my idiot BF deleted the E! program from the DVR before I could watch it. If they rerun it, I'll try to catch it again.

Here is the latest reponse I received from an expert at a local classical music radio station:

Thank you for your response. Yes, when I went home, I listened to all
of Carmena Burana, since my answer didn't sit well with myself. You are indeed
correct, and although the two have the same "sound," it is not the piece in
question. I wish I had a better answer for you! Good luck with finding it, and let
me know if you ever do.

Sincerely,
Anthony Aviguetero
Classical KUSC

-----Original Message-----
Sent: Thursday, August 26, 2004 6:02 PM
To: kusc
Subject: Re: FW: Steve Blatt Re: Please help me identify this operatic
choral piece!

Dear Anthony,

Thanks for responding! Unfortunately, the piece I am trying to identify
is almost always mistaken for Orff, but it is definitely not "O Fortuna".
If you could listen to them side-by-side, you would most certainly notice
the difference. I've listened to the entire works of Orff and this is not
one of his. Well, thanks for trying anyway!

> Thank you for writing KUSC and trusting us with our opinion.
> I am unsure of the exact choral piece, but it sounds an awful lot like
> Carl Orff's "Carmena Burana," a very popular one-hit wonder that is used a
> lot by Hollywood.
>
> If you have any other questions, feel free to write.
>
> Sincerely,
> Anthony Aviguetero
> Classical KUSC
>

E! did happen to run the Exorcist special again on Sunday and the music in question was indeed played at about 1:35 into the 2-hour long program. I scrolled to the credits but there was absolutely nothing mentioned about any music used in the show. Dead end!

Still waiting to hear back from a few other sources though. Maybe we'll get lucky!

If any of the members of this forum have any names/L1NK$ ;) :ph34r: to great dark choir music, please post or e-mail me. Thanks!

Similar or not to the examples listed on the bottom

Favorite artists for this type of music include,0

All the Music from Immediate Music.com (The Producers of Great Trailers) [But Who Don't Sell to the General Public]
Hymn To Red October, Basil Poledouris
Gothic Power, Christopher Field
Requiem Overture, Clint Mansell
Escape, Craig Armstrong
Various, Hans Zimmer
Various, E.S. Posthumus
Various, Jesper Kyd (Hitman, Hitman 2, Hitman Contracts, Freedom Fighters, Brute Force) Computer Game Soundtracks
Various Dark, John Williams
Equilibrium, Klaus Badelt
O Fortuna, Carl Orff
Various, Russian Red Army Choir
Lacrimosa, Laudate Dominum, Mass in C, Requiem (Full), Requiem,Wolfgang Amadeus Mozart

Wow, it's been 5 months since this thread has started and still no one knows what the musical piece is called.

Was this song also used in a NASCAR on FOX commercial in 2002? I've been wondering what the song is too. I emailed Fox a long time ago with no reply.

A tiny snippet of the song was used in a recent "Rennovate my Family" commercial; the one for the goth family. That is also FOX network so maybe it's time to email them again...

this is an old song from one of those "royalty free" music collections that video and film producers have. there are litterally thousands of these collections. the reason its played so much is because its free to use (after purchasing the collection of course). and sounds cool. alot of the stuff you hear on tv is from these collections.

~z

I think most of us knew (or at least suspected) this. But, the question is which collection?

J

I thought maybe there was a chance it was from one of those '70s and '80s, Jerry Goldsmith Omen soundtracks (The Omen, The Omen II and Final Conflict) but of the soundclips I checked nothing matched...sorry.

:)

Michelle, unless we have a name of the piece and the composer then I'd say the question is not answered. After all, even royalty free music didn't compose itself.

I ran this one past a friend of mine who is in fact a composer of music for film and tv, as well as his own music.

He thought is sounded like something from Nick Phoenix. I found a site with samples and it does sound familar.

http://www.soundsonline.com/

Maybe this is the lead everyone is looking for.

"These are the Glengarry leads, and to you they are gold."

Now I'm curious about this one, myself.
Thought it was also featured in the White House infiltration from X2, but now am not so sure.

Wondering about a "creepy opera" number, myself actually.
Can't remember the commercial at the moment (will edit this when I hear it again), but it's used in sort of a Halloween-theme commercial.
Also very not "O Fortuna."
Can't place it, and realize am very, very vague, but it's late, and can remember nothing more at the moment.

Regards,
NeedsMusic

Its definately from some horror movie score, in what year that trailer was made ?

The movie came out in 1990, so the trailer was either made in 1989 or 1990. OK why doesn't Blockbuster or anyone else carry this movie?!? I want to see it, and there's probably a music credits at the end if it is in the movie.

Back