The Krays

Kamen did the music for The Krays, but didn't do the music for the trailers. All of the rare soundtracks of The Krays has nothing sounding remotely like the music for the trailer.

There's one dead end.

J

Hi, I've been puzzling over this chorus since it was used in the ads for the 1996 TV mini-series "A Season in Purgatory."

I'm an opera fan and have seen about 90% of the works in current repertory, but I haven't heard this performed, which makes me think it's more likely from oratorio, a requiem, or something similar, rather than opera. I'm pretty sure it's not Wagner; I think it's more Italianate. It is similar in tone to the Dies Irae of Verdi's Requiem (which is also frequently used in ads and trailers). I've put my friend the music expert on the trail and maybe he'll get the google reward.

I checked out the soundtrack to "The Mission", and the only song that sounds anything remotely like it is track 14: "Te Deum Guarani".

I thought it was perhaps a Verdi piece as well, but so far I have been unable to find a match.

If anyone saw the 'Curse of the Exorcist' E True Hollywood story, they played this song about an hour and 10 minutes into the 2 hour show. It was right when they were coming back from commercial and into another segment.

Was this music in the exorcist?

Yeah, I remember hearing that in the Curse of the Exorcist. By the way, the stuff they mentioned in that show was pretty freaky.

No, no, no, no, no!!!

We CANNOT let this thread die out... This is what happened to all the other threads about this song. NO-O-O-O-O-O-O-O-O-O-O!!!

Let's Recap:

"Friday in Hell"

"The Krays" Trailer

"Curse of the Exorcist"

How is it that NO ONE knows this song?! It drives me insane...

Everyone I've checked with has responded with O'Fortuna cliaming it's just some obscure different version. But no one has offered proof to back it up. :rolleyes: <_< I don't think it is either. :unsure:

If anyone says it is "O Fortuna" again, I'm going to scream! I've listened to both choruses side by side and they are so obviously different! The words are completely different, the music is different...EVERYTHING is different!

Gawd!

I posted this question on the bulletin board for the Metropolitan Opera Guild.

One poster said:

It sounds like Sibelius' Kullervo (probably 3rd section) but somewhat altered and bass-driven.

And another said:
Hmm. Sounds like Sibelius to me, too, but I just listened to the third movement of Kullervo, and that's not it. I'll have to keep checking. Somewhere I've got the complete music from the historical pageant that introduced Finlandia to the world - it might be from that.

Sounds like some good leads!

Originally posted by givemfitz@Aug 19 2004, 05:40 PM
I'm pretty sure I said it wasn't. <_<
My comment wasn't directed at you personally...just those so-called "experts" who keep insisting it's from Orff's Carmina Burana. Sorry you took it wrong! :)

Originally posted by hexicon@Aug 19 2004, 05:59 PM
I posted this question on the bulletin board for the Metropolitan Opera Guild.

One poster said:

It sounds like Sibelius' Kullervo (probably 3rd section) but somewhat altered and bass-driven.

And another said:
Hmm. Sounds like Sibelius to me, too, but I just listened to the third movement of Kullervo, and that's not it. I'll have to keep checking. Somewhere I've got the complete music from the historical pageant that introduced Finlandia to the world - it might be from that.

Sounds like some good leads!
I've listened to Sibelius too, but I don't hear the similarity. Besides, those compositions mentioned are all symphonies, not operatic choruses. Were they given the movie trailer version or the webtoon version?

Originally posted by brockster_warren@Aug 19 2004, 03:13 PM
No, no, no, no, no!!!

We CANNOT let this thread die out... This is what happened to all the other threads about this song. NO-O-O-O-O-O-O-O-O-O-O!!!

Let's Recap:

"Friday in Hell"

"The Krays" Trailer

"Curse of the Exorcist"

How is it that NO ONE knows this song?! It drives me insane...
Don't worry about that. I think everyone's already too determined to find out what it is, and i for one want to have it in my collection as well, and maybe even get some new tunes along the way.

I included in my post to the Met Opera site the link to the movie trailer for "The Krays" that was posted earlier in this chain.

"Kullervo," though referred to as "a symphonic poem," features baritone and soprano soloists, plus a male chorus. I am not familiar with it, though, so I couldn't say whether the guess is off-base.

OK i was just listening to mozart, and most of his known works, like those on the Amadaeus soundtrack and i think someone earlier suggested that it might be
"Dries Irae" and that is definately not it. In fact it doesn't really sound much like mozart to me.

Just thought i'd cancel one more out.

Oh and by the way, we are going to find out what this piece is.

Wouldn't it be funny if, at the end of all of this, we found out it was actually from a music production company and we wouldn't ever be able to get at it?

Or, not funny...what's the word?

Horrific, that's it.

J

Originally posted by jjprodmast@Aug 28 2004, 04:52 PM
Wouldn't it be funny if, at the end of all of this, we found out it was actually from a music production company and we wouldn't ever be able to get at it?
It probably was, and that's why no one can find info on it. <_<

MoonZing Posted: Aug 19 2004, 05:40 PM [ Report MoonZing Posted: Aug 19 2004, 05:40 PM

If anyone says it is "O Fortuna" again, I'm going to scream! I've listened to both choruses side by side and they are so obviously different! The words are completely different, the music is different...EVERYTHING is different!

Gawd!
] [ Quote ]

LOL i hate that song too plus it's scary and reminds me of that part in sherlock holmes where they put acid on that girl :unsure: :unsure: :unsure: :( :( :( DAMMIT why do people do that ! <_<

I guess I should mention that this was also in an episode of Friends. It was "The One Where Rachel Quits" (ep. 3.10). It plays in the scene where Phoebe sees a Christmas tree getting thrown into the 'chipper. Hope this helps.

Back