The Great Debate

Status
Not open for further replies.
OK, well you'll have to excuse me, I'm wearing pants so I'm going to go be an abomination unto the Lord in my living room with someone that can have a linear conversation and actually answers questions when I ask them. In the meantime I hope that when my father sells me into slavery it's to someone that has a little more respect for women.

PRAISE BE TO JEHOVAH!!

By the way I spent last Sunday cleaning my house.. I will expect my stoning at your convenience.

i didn't want to get into this, but i just have to say this: the reason a lot of people are turned off by religion (including myself) is because of people like SirBax. I don't mean that in a bad way....although I realize it sounds "bad". I went to a private christian school and i believe i was more damaged there than if i had gone to the 'worst' school on the block.

Originally posted by dascoot@Oct 26 2004, 10:51 PM
By the way I spent last Sunday cleaning my house.. I will expect my stoning at your convenience.
Nearly pissed my pants right there.

Originally posted by SirBax+Oct 26 2004, 06:15 PM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (SirBax @ Oct 26 2004, 06:15 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-The Lost Boy@Oct 26 2004, 02:47 PM
So you believe you're justified in shooting and killing a person in your home? Let's say he or she is in your living room stealing your possesions and putting them in a sack, and they have a black beanie on and there's no doubt they're a burglar.
Just out of curiosity; by what standard do know that it is wrong? Put another way, who makes up the rules? [/b][/quote]
What if the man is mentally handi-capped and not knowing better he walks inside and you blow his head off, or the neighbors who just moved saying hi to their new neighbors, etc. You don't know the mind of someone else. What if someone dies on the road and someone breaks into your house to find a phone and call 911. You don't know. Even if they were doing something wrong doesn't make it right.

Originally posted by SirBax+Oct 26 2004, 08:27 PM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (SirBax @ Oct 26 2004, 08:27 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-AmelieMellow@Oct 26 2004, 05:11 PM
hmm...well i'm just curious...what constitutes as "just killing"?
Capital punishment, legitimate warfare, self-defense, and similar acts are not forbidden by God, and would constitute just killing. [/b][/quote]
Capital punishment. Hmm.... I'm not sure I remember that one was in the Bible. And legitimate warfare and self-defense are justified only as a last resort, not just if your scared. (deja vu) If someone looks suspicous in a shopping mall you don't take em out with a sniper rifle from a balcony.

Originally posted by andy@Oct 26 2004, 06:27 PM
Look, I love debate, don't get me wrong, but you're not debating. You're being very irrational. You have every right to believe what you believe, but it seems to me that you are trying to persuade the other people here.

I disagree with everything you've said so far, and I can. Killing shall never be justified, and a lot of what you say is good, will always be bad to me.
You're wrong, Andy. Debating is trying to convince the opposing side that your argument is stronger and more valid. Basically trying convince you that it's "right". Just because his views are crazy to you or me, doesn't necessarily mean they're irrational. Well...maybe not the part about God being ok with capital punishment.

What if's can be explored till you're blue in the face. The point is God and the law of the stae I live in don't play what if's.

Originally posted by SirBax@Oct 26 2004, 08:50 PM
That wasn't the point, the point was the disconnect in the logical thinking.

I have a Biblican Worldview that I believe, you have a diffrent worldview.
Keywords: that I believe. To assume you have a biblical worldview means you have inside you the greatest amount of wisdom the world has ever seen. So much so you can consider yourself equal with God. Because in order to make a biblical/perfect decision in every instance you need a hell of a lot of wisdom. So much so that makes Solomon look like a fool.

Originally posted by The Lost Boy+Oct 26 2004, 11:06 PM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (The Lost Boy @ Oct 26 2004, 11:06 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-andy@Oct 26 2004, 06:27 PM
Look, I love debate, don't get me wrong, but you're not debating. You're being very irrational. You have every right to believe what you believe, but it seems to me that you are trying to persuade the other people here.

I disagree with everything you've said so far, and I can. Killing shall never be justified, and a lot of what you say is good, will always be bad to me.
You're wrong, Andy. Debating is trying to convince the opposing side that your argument is stronger and more valid. Basically trying convince you that it's "right". Just because his views are crazy to you or me, doesn't necessarily mean they're irrational. Well...maybe not the part about God being ok with capital punishment. [/b][/quote]
A deliberative discussion with presentation of arguments for and against. Academic debate involves a competitive format with a preset topic, in-depth research, organizing ideas into persuasive presentations, cross examination, and defense against attack.

We don't do what is occuring here in my classes... This just doesn't seem like the kind of debating I partake in.

Originally posted by SirBax@Oct 26 2004, 10:06 PM
What if's can be explored till you're blue in the face. The point is God and the law of the stae I live in don't play what if's.
Oh. I see. so every man, woman, and child that happens to stumble in your domain is victim to murder. Not. Very Christian.

NO, I am NOT Gods equal, far from it. I am just a sinner saved by His grace. All I can do is to show you His Word.

Originally posted by a_iver+Oct 26 2004, 07:10 PM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (a_iver @ Oct 26 2004, 07:10 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-SirBax@Oct 26 2004, 10:06 PM
Oh. I see. so every man, woman, and child that happens to stumble in your domain is victim to murder. Not. Very Christian. [/b][/quote]
Stumbling in and breaking in are entirely diffrent, don't twist my words.

If you're so religious, why would you be so quick to a pull the trigger on another human being? ie burglar or carjacker (because you're trying to stop a forcible felony).

Originally posted by SirBax@Oct 26 2004, 10:11 PM
NO, I am NOT Gods equal, far from it. I am just a sinner saved by His grace. All I can do is to show you His Word.
Then you can not claim to have a perfect biblical worldview

Well I am a christian too and an imperfect one at that. And I'm sooo glad you can show me His Word, and some words of your own, and some words of other men. But fortunately for me I also have a stack of bibles in my house and have the oppurtunity to refer to the truth, just like you do.

Originally posted by SirBax+Oct 26 2004, 10:13 PM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (SirBax @ Oct 26 2004, 10:13 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'>
Originally posted by a_iver@Oct 26 2004, 07:10 PM
<!--QuoteBegin-SirBax
@Oct 26 2004, 10:06 PM

Oh. I see. so every man, woman, and child that happens to stumble in your domain is victim to murder. Not. Very Christian.
Stumbling in and breaking in are entirely diffrent, don't twist my words. [/b][/quote]
Well fine. IF they break in instead of IF they stumble in. IF they break in because they need a phone to dial 911 because there was horrible car accident out on the road. You watch them break in. You murder them.

On Election Day, some liberal teens and I are going to protest Bush and The War. We'll walk the streets of our conservative town...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back