The Great Debate

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally posted by SirBax@Oct 25 2004, 08:36 PM
If you fealt that the threat justified that measue sure......
So are you condoning other countries that make nuclear weapons as a preventative measure? I mean Eye-ver was joking but you're saying it's ok, so I'm just asking.

IMHO Yes, each nation is soverign and should if they have the safe means to do so be armed to their desires. But, if they use those weapons in an unjust manner they will have to answer to the force of the other nations.

What the hell does it matter? Is it semi-automatic? Then what reason do you have for it? That's like asking me which is more poisonous, arsenic or lye.. dude, either way it's a messy death.

An d a knife to the throught isn't? Who cares how messy the death is if your alive, and your attacker isn't.

Originally posted by AmelieMellow+Oct 25 2004, 09:47 PM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (AmelieMellow @ Oct 25 2004, 09:47 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-andy@Oct 25 2004, 09:25 PM
As Steph would say... le sigh
:rolleyes: whoa cool i got quoted [/b][/quote]
you got *le quoted* har har ;)

Well, anyone with a conscience, for one. You're perfectly ok with blowing a man's head apart for breaking into your house when he could very well just be a sickly drug addict looking for money? You think you get to be the judge of who lives and who dies? Did God pass that onto you, cause I was under the impression that it was still in the hands of the courts. Besides you know that the likeliness of you being killed by a stranger is outrageously low so why would you just assume the worst? Even cops are taught to hold their fire until they see a weapon aimed at them.

Who cares how messy the death is if your alive, and your attacker isn't.
GOD that sounds creepy.

well actually, that quote struck me as well, even though i'm not really in this discussion because i feel that i have to be more well-read to engage with you guys. but yeah, i agree that was creepy. it makes the victim sound as cold as the would-be killer.

Why prepare for the worst?.......

Why do you put your seatbelt on?

Why do you lock your door when you leave your home?

Just because it hasn't happend yet or the chances are slim is no reason to not be prepared.

Really? Is that why the Republicans are getting so pissy about Kerry warning people to be prepared for potential voter intimidation? It MUST be why Bush went on vacation when warned about Bin Laden's plans in America.

An assault weapon is not prevention. A hand gun and firing range practice is prevention. An assault weapon is an excuse for you to use excessive force against another human being and frankly your delight in the idea of it is disturbing me.

I'm done talking about this. You obviously don't understand that a human life is more important than the stereo and tv you'd lose if someone were to break in.

I am not concerned over my stero or TV, but I am concerned for the protection of LIFE!!! And am prepared to defend LIFE!!! Even yours.

Thanks for the discussion. It was fun, unfortunatly the issues are more profound and the steps that would have to take place before the ultimate use of force is used are more complex then is able to be justly explained in a medium such as this.

Originally posted by AmelieMellow@Oct 25 2004, 05:58 PM
well actually, that quote struck me as well, even though i'm not really in this discussion because i feel that i have to be more well-read to engage with you guys. but yeah, i agree that was creepy. it makes the victim sound as cold as the would-be killer.
The victim in this senerio is not being "cold". It is just a matter of life of death. And as the other story that -Coot mentioned stated it could be just some guy with a drug addiction looking for money, but can you honestly say that if you woke up and heard someone opening the door to your childrens bedroom you would say to yourself, "oh, it's OK, he just needs the money out of their piggy bank for drugs." I don't think any rational person would think that. We have no way of reading the minds of those who break into homes of other people.

"But how can you set yourself as jury, judge and executioner?" some would say. "Even criminals deserve a fair trial."

If a person must fire on an intruder, you would be doing so only in order to protect lives of self and dependents. Not to punish, not to discourage criminal behavior but to save lives from a predator.

And above all, the use of force is the last resort. That means that a call to the local Law Enforcement should be placed and that if possible you should gather your family members in one room and guard the door against intrusion. If the attacker decides that the "piggy bank" is not all they want then as a last resor you must be prepared to take the ultimate measure when they come into that room you are gathered in, with the intent to do you and yours harm.

Life over property. You cannot shoot an intruder just because of the fact that he or she is in your house. Unless they pose an immediate threat to harm you or someone else, you can't shoot them. Assault weapons, like automatic rifles, are not necessary for home defense either. In fact, I think there should also be a ban on handguns in the U.S.

Yeah Bax, you still haven't explain why you need a semi-automatic to take out someone who's broken into your home. What if your kid wanders out to see what's going on and gets a couple bullets in her head? What about the damage you'd be doing to your own home, and anyone that happened to be passing by in the street, should the spray break through a window or something?

You're making an argument for why you should have a gun. I've already said that as long as it's purchased legally and you keep it safe and have proper training on it that I'm not opposed to you having a gun. But you shouldn't own a military-grade weapon. There's no need for it and you haven't shown it to be necessary at all.

And speaking of being prepared, what about all that talk about Ockham's Razor? It's the most likely reason someone is breaking into your house robbery? Be prepared if you want, and after all else has failed, security, guard dog, bars, locks, and he STILL gets in, and you can SEE a weapon or he acts in a way that looks threatening to you (and sorting through your silverware drawer is not it) then shoot him. In the leg, or the arm. You don't need to kill someone to protect your home. For all you know the guy is a single father stealing stereos to feed his kids.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back