I really need some help please

hitomifan

Advanced Member
Reaction score
Ok I really need your help with this. I had gotten this headset from radioshack,

head8jw.jpg

These are the things it said about it...

30mm Mylar speaker for hihg-quality sound reproduction

Built-in speakers pick up external noise then counteracts it with the corresponding anti-phase sound

Noise-canceling function is effective for noise in the mid-frequency range around 100 to 2,000Hz

Speaker: 30mm Mylar speaker

Impedance: 32 ohms (don't know what that stands for)

Frequency response: 20-20,000Hz

I got these headphones in Radioshack, and that's the brand of the headphone. They do fold up, but it's nothing that special.

Now that cost me 50 bucks. What I want to know is a couple things...

1. Was it worth the 50 bucks?

2. The 20-20,000Hz, what does that mean?

3. I'm not sure I like them that much, but I want to get something like that, what other alternatives are there? I have a photo iPod, and I use it a lot. Can anyone give me any suggestions on headphones. I looked on the apple store, but that really didn't help me. I heard that the "ear plug" headphones for the iPod aren't that good. I just don't want sometihng huge going around my head. Well thanks a lot for your time! Thanks!

I can help a little bit I think. I'm kinda new into high quality audio stuff too, but I'm learning relatively fast.

Imedence is how much resistance to signal flow in the headphones. Lower impedence is higher quality than high impedence. I do not know however, how much is average or high or low.

The average human being can hear something like 35 to 16,000Hz but people with excellent hearing can hear from 20 to 20,000Hz. This number is the range of sounds a person can hear from low to high pitched. So 20 to 20,000 is a good frequency spectrum.

The ipod buds from Apple do suck very much. There were many complaints of hisses and other lovely sounds of interference, but Apple won't change it because most people don't pay that much attention to sound anyways, so it would only cost them money.

Noise canceling is a very nice option, and with the range of frequencies, probably does make it worth the 50 bucks. Are they comfortable? That's extremely important in picking out a good pair of headphones.

Alternatives:

If you're looking for a relatively low priced pair of headphones with high quality and excellent portability I suggest Sennheiser's PX100's. They are highly collapsable and can fit in your pocket (although i suggest you not). They come with their own case but also are very durable on their own. They have great quality sound and beat the shit out of iPod buds or $15 sony's. Extremely comfortable - I think even more than Bose. They look nice and really slim. A friend of mine asked one time if I liked my headphones. I let him listen for five minutes. "I'm going to get those." is the first thing out of his mouth. They're pretty cheap at i think about $30 - $40 on amazon.

Otherwise if you want really professional quality, I recommend a pair of Bose. I think they start at $100, are pretty comfortable, and have sound canceling.

I have a pair of both and although I prefer the Bose, I use the sennheiser's more as a day to day pair of headphones that I don't have to worry about breaking, losing, getting stolen, etc.

Hope that helps :)

what the noise cancelling does is it filters out sounds from your environment. the advantage here is that you will be able to hear your music at lower volumes.

without it people just blast their music so its louder than the environment... bad for the ears...

i have the pimper titanium version of those headphones. i like that they're light, they sound great, they offer fairly decent noise canceling, and they fit my head without hurting me. i wear glasses so finding headphones that don't drive my glasses painfully into the side of head is not easy. the only thing i don't like is the lack of an individual volume control. i hate being reliant on the volume control of the device i'm using the headphones on.

Ok well here's the thing. I'm gonna check out those ones you said, the Sennheiser's PX100 cause they look pretty good. The other problem with the ones I have now is that they are tight on my glasses and ears. I tired lowering them, but that doesn't work. Also they are too bulky. I know that the bose are really good, but I want something that can go aorund my neck. The headphones that did come with the iPod were pretty good (with the ones i have now), and I just put them under my shirt. So even though (I think) the frequency response is good, I wondering if that same response can be found in a smaller headphone. Really I don't care about the noise canceling. It's ok, and it's not like I care, but I have a lot of people talking to me in school, and I would jsut take one side of my headphones off. With these, I can't put them around my neck, they kinda are annoying on my throat, and I can't take one side off because the other side will fall off too. So are there any other alternatives? I'm gonna check into the ones you said, but can anyone think of ones that go into your ears also? Thanks a lot everyone! :)

Back