Superman (1978) - John Williams
"Borrowed Time" - Brand X
"Halls of Honor" - Brand X
"Lost Soul" - Brand X
"Reunion" - Brand X
"Strung Out" - Brand X
"Walk Through Fire" - Brand X
Superman (1978) - John Williams

The thing I don't like about Soundtrack.Net is because they don't list the track name. The person writing "Superman (1978) - John Williams" knows which track it is... why not just write it!! :( And where in the world can we find Brand X songs? (And Immediate Music, while we're at it!)

They're adding further obstacles when we simply want to find cool music quickly!

Originally posted by mrjoanofarc@Jun 6 2006, 06:20 AM
The thing I don't like about Soundtrack.Net is because they don't list the track name. The person writing "Superman (1978) - John Williams" knows which track it is... why not just write it!! :( And where in the world can we find Brand X songs? (And Immediate Music, while we're at it!)

They're adding further obstacles when we simply want to find cool music quickly!
As has been explained numerous times, to include track titles is not as feasable because we don't KNOW the track titles most of the time. If someone wants to go through all 5,300+ entries in the database (which has been around since 1998) and add them that's great. But we can't offer them for SOME and not ALL. It's just not realistic. Also, many times a cue might be used from a score, but NOT be on the soundtrack album. (Music editors have access to a lot more than just the common public.)

So while I'm sorry this is an inconvenience to you all, just knowing the source it comes from tends to placate 99.9% of our readers. And we're not trying to "add further obstacles". I take that personally. SoundtrackNet is more than just a trailer music database, if you bothered to look at the site, and it's something that I do alone. Me. One person. All that stuff. And it's not like you're paying me for it, so honestly, cut me a bit of slack. I have to make a living at something else, so my time is spread very thin. And when someone tells me "oh, they used BRAVEHEART in that new trailer", I'll just put it in as BRAVEHEART - and not try to hunt down the exact cue used, because in the end, it's not worth my time.

And that's all I have to say on this matter.

Regards,
Dan

Creating, much less maintaining, such a trailer music database is an overwhelming job. What's listed there (at Soundtrack.net) is invaluable and this forum relies on it heavily, as does everyone else wanting information about trailer music.

Originally posted by dgoldwas+Jun 8 2006, 09:50 AM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (dgoldwas @ Jun 8 2006, 09:50 AM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-mrjoanofarc@Jun 6 2006, 06:20 AM

As has been explained numerous times, to include track titles is not as feasable because we don't KNOW the track titles most of the time. If someone wants to go through all 5,300+ entries in the database (which has been around since 1998) and add them that's great. But we can't offer them for SOME and not ALL. It's just not realistic. Also, many times a cue might be used from a score, but NOT be on the soundtrack album. (Music editors have access to a lot more than just the common public.)

So while I'm sorry this is an inconvenience to you all, just knowing the source it comes from tends to placate 99.9% of our readers. And we're not trying to "add further obstacles". I take that personally. SoundtrackNet is more than just a trailer music database, if you bothered to look at the site, and it's something that I do alone. Me. One person. All that stuff. And it's not like you're paying me for it, so honestly, cut me a bit of slack. I have to make a living at something else, so my time is spread very thin. And when someone tells me "oh, they used BRAVEHEART in that new trailer", I'll just put it in as BRAVEHEART - and not try to hunt down the exact cue used, because in the end, it's not worth my time.

And that's all I have to say on this matter.

Regards,
Dan [/b][/quote]
Dan,

Wow, I didn't mean to attack any certain individual-- especially not the sole maintainer and creator of the site! I've heard your site referenced so many times in the filmscore community over the years, I assumed Soundtrack.Net had become a massive Wikipedia-like resource-- compiled by many individuals! I had no idea you did all that work. And I have read your interviews several times, but it never dawned on me. I assumed you were Google.

And it is a great encyclopedia of cinematic music... But every time I go there, the movie titles alone do frustrate me. I go to your site to find out what I already knew (the soundtrack title), when I wanted the specifics. Then, I have to go to Amazon.com and listen to sound samples-- some of which might not contain the clip I was looking for, so I might be falsely misled.

I understand putting track names for everything would be tedious (and labelling everything since 1998 would be a ludicrous suggestion), but I'm just asking, if a contributor does list an exact track name, from now on, would it be too much to ask to write it in while you have the HTML up and everything?

Nitpicking aside, the site IS great as you well know! I'm probably in the minority here. Haha. Getting frustrated by the soundtrack title alone. Ah well.

It's because sites like yours and forums like this work TOGETHER that lead us to such wonderful music.

Btw, I had no intention for the creator of the site to stumble on my little comment. Oops. ;)

-Sam

Originally posted by mrjoanofarc@Jun 18 2006, 03:21 AM
if a contributor does list an exact track name, from now on, would it be too much to ask to write it in while you have the HTML up and everything?
Sam,
I would have to do a bit of database rejiggering, but I suppose I could do that. The thing is, almost no one sends us track titles when they send us the information...
Dan

Originally posted by dgoldwas+Jun 18 2006, 07:06 PM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (dgoldwas @ Jun 18 2006, 07:06 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-mrjoanofarc@Jun 18 2006, 03:21 AM
if a contributor does list an exact track name, from now on, would it be too much to ask to write it in while you have the HTML up and everything?
Sam,
I would have to do a bit of database rejiggering, but I suppose I could do that. The thing is, almost no one sends us track titles when they send us the information...
Dan [/b][/quote]
Dan,
If it doesn't interfere with the format of the site that much, that would be GREAT! And because contributors don't list tracknames that often, that means less work for you. But if a visitor like me arrives at the site, and someone just happened to list the track title I was looking for-- my trip would have been totally worth it.

It's a great resource. But as a visitor and film music fan, this feature would make it even better. If adding this feature is a big pain, you could do a poll to see how many people would like to see it. Maybe you'll be surprised (and maybe I'd be surprised!)

Thanks for taking my suggestion seriously.

-Sam

Originally posted by mrjoanofarc@Jun 19 2006, 01:36 AM
If it doesn't interfere with the format of the site that much, that would be GREAT! And because contributors don't list tracknames that often, that means less work for you. But if a visitor like me arrives at the site, and someone just happened to list the track title I was looking for-- my trip would have been totally worth it.
Sam,

I've just spent a few hours doing a bit of PHP coding and database restructuring. So, I hope this helps, and in the future, if people include tracks, I'll put them in.

Here's an example of what it looks like:
http://www.soundtrack.net/trailers/?cid=S&id=1113

You'll also notice a new layout to the information, hopefully this will make things a bit clearer than the confusing icons:
http://www.soundtrack.net/trailers/?cid=L&id=733

Dan

After some looking around, I haven't been able to find any evidence of Albums/Songs matching what's listed for the trailer by Brand X. Has anyone had any luck?

Nevermind, I read a bit and only now realize Brand X is a music company, not the band.

Dan,

I have been visiting your site for years, and it's always been informative and insightful. Anytime I'm interested in the music from a new film, your site is the one I look to first. You and your staff do a heck of a job, so I commend and thank you for all your hard work.

So, here's a newbie question (if not, I won't feel as bad... lol)... does anyone know if this music is available to purchase by the public in CD form? I found the Brand X music in that trailer very inspiring and would like to play it myself without the speech/talk/other from the trailer itself...

Originally posted by dgoldwas@Jun 19 2006, 02:45 PM
I've just spent a few hours doing a bit of PHP coding and database restructuring. So, I hope this helps, and in the future, if people include tracks, I'll put them in.

Here's an example of what it looks like:
http://www.soundtrack.net/trailers/?cid=S&id=1113

You'll also notice a new layout to the information, hopefully this will make things a bit clearer than the confusing icons:
http://www.soundtrack.net/trailers/?cid=L&id=733

Dan
Dan--

INCREDIBLE tweak of design-- simpler, yet 200x more informative!

Thank you so much for taking the time to develop this new format. I think fans will really appreciate it.

Since the site might be even more informative now, I'll be interested in the future traffic stats, to see if more people are using your site as a music resource, because I think people will really love it.

Once again, I greatly appreciate the time you put in to this, and I'm eager in seeing how it affects the site's productivity. Maybe it will, maybe it won't... but, in any case, this feature makes it infinitely more valuable as a reference tool.

Thanks again!

Sincerely,
-Sam (and music fans)

Back