Pink Floyd and The Wizard of Oz

Originally posted by capnmunch@Mar 25 2007, 10:03 AM
Are potheads still doing this shit? :lol: If you do it, Kauai, I suggest you smoke/take something first; it's pretty lame otherwise.
Actually, I don't do any of that stuff, including smoking & drinking. I'm slightly asmatic and don't like the taste of alcohol. Funny, but I've always been shocked that so many of my friends smoke pot. In grad school, so many people I thought wouldn't have anything to do with mind altering substances were doing it. And these even included math & engineering majors, not just left-wing pinko-commie history or poli sci majors. :(

Huh. Imagine that. :lol: :lol: :lol:

Entertainment = Mindset X Cannabis squared ;)

Are you one of those dudes that thinks pot is a gateway drug? Or that it kills people?

Ya knowww. If you cue up The Barney Song to sync with "Reefer Madness"................

Originally posted by givemfitz+Mar 25 2007, 12:50 PM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (givemfitz @ Mar 25 2007, 12:50 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'>Huh. Imagine that. :lol: :lol: :lol:

Entertainment = Mindset X Cannabis squared ;)[/b]

To some extent. But for me, it is really b'coz I know "Dark Side" is an album that was composed during turbulent times. So I can't disconnect the serious themes behind the songs. I assure you sir, that PF did not write "Dark Side" after watching "The Wiz". However, it is a distinct possibility they were both hammered & stoned when they wrote some of it.

But full disclosure it need here on your part: Did you watch it stoned?

<!--QuoteBegin-dascoot
@Mar 25 2007, 12:59 PM
Are you one of those dudes that thinks pot is a gateway drug? Or that it kills people?[/quote]
Actually it is. Just to let you know, the cigarette and beer/spirits companies are a major, major, major, MAJOR force behind keeping pot illegal. They don't want the competition. Any pothead can grow pot--so why pay for cigarettes and beer, when you can get high for free. Legalization will innevitably bring on further legalization of other, harder & more addictive drugs.

Of course, beer & cigarettes are themselves the biggest gateway drugs to pot, ecstacy, meth, etc.

BTW, it's not a bad idea to learn how to distinguish between when someone is joking and being serious.

Forgot to add...

Pot is a gateway drug to other drugs, just as beer and cigarettes are.

Legalization of pot in & of itself will be a gateway/slippery slope to further legalization of harder & more addictive drugs. The US will become like another giant Amsterdam if pot becomes legal.

FYI, I'm still neutral, or rather uncertain, when it comes to legalization of pot and other drugs. There is the huge crime component/problem that would immediately solved if pot and other drugs were made legal, taxed and carefully controlled.

Americans' use of illicit drugs has devasted not just the inner cities (crack), or rural America (meth), but also all of latin and S. America. The gang & narco terroism problems are a key reason why Mexico, Bolivia, Columbia (coke, meth, pot, ecstacy...), and so on are just so fucked up--and will be for the foreseeable future.

Originally posted by Na_Pali_Coast_Kauai+Mar 25 2007, 02:18 PM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (Na_Pali_Coast_Kauai @ Mar 25 2007, 02:18 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-givemfitz@Mar 25 2007, 12:50 PM
Huh. Imagine that. :lol: :lol: :lol:

Entertainment = Mindset X Cannabis squared ;)
To some extent. But for me, it is really b'coz I know "Dark Side" is an album that was composed during turbulent times. So I can't disconnect the serious themes behind the songs. I assure you sir, that PF did not write "Dark Side" after watching "The Wiz". However, it is a distinct possibility they were both hammered & stoned when they wrote some of it.

But full disclosure it need here on your part: Did you watch it stoned?

[/b][/quote]
I've watched it stoned, drunk, frying and stone cold sober. ;) But it was the 70s :p

Again it's much to easy to criticize a thing that you've never tried. School was about education through experimentation for most people. Others just learned to memorize and spew facts while never really gaining any knowledge or wisdom due to a total lack of well rounded experience. To each his or her own. ;)

P.S. Never said PF used WIZ as inspiration. Merely questioned whether you were infering that the website implied so.

Originally posted by givemfitz+Mar 25 2007, 01:33 PM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (givemfitz @ Mar 25 2007, 01:33 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'>
I've watched it stoned, drunk, frying and stone cold sober. ;) But it was the 70s :p
[/b]

I suspected this. :lol: :lol:

Originally posted by givemfitz@Mar 25 2007, 01:33 PM

Again it's much to easy to criticize a thing that you've never tried. School was about education through experimentation for most people. Others just learned to memorize and spew facts while never really gaining any knowledge or wisdom due to a total lack of well rounded experience. To each his or her own. ;)
But you need to ask a question first: How serious was I being when I was criticizing you? Apparently a certain somebody thought I was being totally serious.

<!--QuoteBegin-givemfitz
@Mar 25 2007, 01:33 PM

P.S. Never said PF used WIZ as inspiration. Merely questioned whether you were infering that the website implied so.
[/quote]
I suspected this line of logic too. B)

Originally posted by Na_Pali_Coast_Kauai@Mar 25 2007, 05:18 PM
Actually it is.
No it's not.

Just to let you know, the cigarette and beer/spirits companies are a major, major, major, MAJOR force behind keeping pot illegal.
This is true. In fact they are probably the ones behind the whole "gateway drug" bullshit in the first place.

Legalization will innevitably bring on further legalization of other, harder & more addictive drugs.
Anyone with the proper information knows that marijuana is practically harmless, less dangerous than both cigarettes and beer, and comparing it to crack or heroin is something akin to comparing a fart to a hurricane. The government's full of retards, but I'll bet every one of them realizes the difference between something harmless and something deadly and they will never legalize crack. Besides, the 21st Amendment didn't lead to the legalization of harder or more addictive ANYTHING. So why do people still think that?

Do you know why it became illegal in the first place? Because hemp was going to put paper companies out of business. Not because it's harmful or addictive or leads to other drug use. In fact it used to be illegal for farmers to NOT grow hemp.

Of course, beer & cigarettes are themselves the biggest gateway drugs to pot, ecstacy, meth, etc.
The only "gateways" are the people themselves. Gun advocates claim that "guns don't kill people, people kill people." Well pot doesn't get you hooked on heroin, buying heroin and shooting it into your veins gets you hooked on heroin. "Gateway" is such an ambiguous term anyway. I haven't heard a compelling enough explanation yet that explains just HOW it leads to other drugs.

BTW, it's not a bad idea to learn how to distinguish between when someone is joking and being serious.
You ARE being serious. You really think this, or else you wouldn't be arguing so hard for it.

edit cause I kept spelling it "heroine"

Originally posted by Na_Pali_Coast_Kauai@Mar 25 2007, 05:49 PM
But you need to ask a question first: How serious was I being when I was criticizing you? Apparently a certain somebody thought I was being totally serious.
If you're talking about me, then when the hell did I say anything remotely like that?

Yeah well I'm now being credited with a theory about PF and WoOZ that I not only didn't promote but actually questioned. :rolleyes:

dascoot,

lol, just give up. I was not being serious before. Now? Yes. See the difference?

Hint: When I say things like "Would you stop busting my balls!" It a tell-tale sign I'm not being serious. You started with serious insults, so I became serious. From now on, I'm just gonna ignore you. It's not that important to me. I was just having fun--but not anymore.

BTW, Pot is a gateway drug. Just b'coz some pot heads don't snort coke or pop ecstacy, doesn't mean that all don't. Similiarly, just because some kids who smoke cigarettes and drink beer don't go on to harder substances, doesn't mean that all don't.

Dude you.. what the hell? When did I insult you? What part were you not being serious about? I didn't even start disagreeing with you until you started the gateway thing. And just because you SAY it's a gateway drug doesn't mean it IS, you have to prove it. And you can't. Because it's not.

Ignore me if you want dude, I thought we were buddies. Apparently you don't know when *I'M* being serious and when I'm not.

Originally posted by givemfitz@Mar 25 2007, 02:08 PM
Yeah well I'm now being credited with a theory about PF and WoOZ that I not only didn't promote but actually questioned. :rolleyes:
Not quite. Lol. I giving you credit for making the wrong assumption on the guy you're psuedo-flaming with. :eek:

You're giant booger brain. :rolleyes:

Originally posted by dascoot@Mar 25 2007, 04:37 AM
Ahhh Na_Pali_Coast_Kauai, I've missed you so much. Is your name Jeff by any chance?

Look, I don't get exactly why you have your panties in a bunch, but the whole point of Dark Side Of The Wizard is that it's a surrealish coincidence (or not, I read an interview where they vaguely implied it was intentional) and it's fun and it's cool. Who cares who did it first? If it was some stoner, so the fuck what? He was a PIONEER, man. History always remembers the first people to do something.

And in case you still haven't figured it out, it's not supposed to last the entire movie. The heartbeats at the end come at a part where the Tin Man is talking about wanting a heart (I think), and then that's it, you have to turn the volume of the movie back up.
Fitz's tone is quite different from this.

Then you're misreading my tone. That's your fault, you don't need to jump my shit because you misunderstood something I said.

Look, its just not fun to talk to people who don't tightly control their language/tone when they joke. Sooner, rather than later, they cross lines that shouldn't be crossed, whether they realize it or not.

:lol: :lol: :lol: Well let me make another assumption. Take some of that hot air of yours and fill your balloon Mr Wizard. Float your ass on outta Oz and into the real world where the statistics are numbers put forth by the very industries you've already accused of mind foggery.
The reality is that those who've experimented with mind altering chemicals without allowing it to interfere with their goals tend to be the innovators and free thinkers that advance science and technology. If they were included in the statistics then everything would even out.
Questioning all that we are taught, believe and think that we know is the key to the future. ;)

Edit-wrong emoti :blush:

:lol: What is that, a lecture on how I should censor my speech to make sure everyone can always understand me? YOU didn't. Your tone was unclear, so you bawled me out .. MY tone was unclear, so you bawled me out. How is that fair, blaming me for every misunderstood nuance? "BTW, it's not a bad idea to learn how to distinguish between when someone is joking and being serious." :eek:k:

Wouldn't it just be easier for someone to ask me "What are you mad about?" so I can explain "I wasn't mad! I said that I missed you, then gave a pro-stoner speech in a stoner voice." And then you can go "Ohhh, well I missed you too!" and show me a picture of a lion with his head up a dead rhino's ass.

edit: And BY THE WAY, you never did tell me where exactly it was that I insulted you.

Back