Firefox

I downloaded version 3 the other day... On the older versions, every time I save/download a new file, it would pop up in My Documents. With this version, I set it up the same way, but they don't appear in My Documents. In fact, it doesn't look like it saves anywhere. I tried changing the Save to... locations (Desktop, a New Folder, etc.) and nothing seems to work. :( Any ideas?

Have you tried changing "Downloads" to "Always ask me where to save files" and see what that does?

:lol: Yeah, I just switched that on, hope that works.

Thanks. :)

I'm losing memory so it's clearly saving somewhere but the files aren't where they should be. :unsure:

Hmmm.... maybe Tools--> Options --> Main

For the downloads section in the "Main" menu what does it say the files will be saved to?

Otherwise I may be too dumb to help. Also I find that restarting my computer after installing a new program helps for some glitches.

Originally posted by leone@Oct 10 2008, 05:21 PM
I'm losing memory so it's clearly saving somewhere but the files aren't where they should be. :unsure:
Did you search for one of the files by filename from the Desktop (within Windows) to see where it ended up?

So I changed it to "Always ask me where to save files" and it seemed to have worked because while I was downloading, that file popped up in My Docs. BUT as soon as it finished DLing, the damn thing disappeared! I tried searching for it and got nothing. First place I checked was my Recycle Bin (yeah, I know, when I searched it would've popped up but I'm out of ideas). I'm considering redownloading Firefox 2 but I have a feeling that the install will disappear too.

My firewall and virus/adware checkers are off.

I was just able to DL with IE... Maybe version 3 and Vista aren't completely compatible? :(

Do you have "Save this" or "Open with Application" in the download pop-up window checked when you start a download?

Yeah, I have it set on Save.

What's weird is that in the next little pop up window (the one where you see the DL progress and the Clear list button), I have to right click to see the Open and Open Folder options and neither one is lit up/available (gray instead of black). Hope that made sense.. What I don't get is that if the file isn't showing up anywhere, why is my hard drive space still decreasing?

It seems to have worked for picture files and Word documents, but I haven't tried it for bigger files yet. :ph34r:

I know there's a bunch of FF users on here and I'm wondering if anyone's been having problems with it lately? It's been working really slow and using up a lot of my CPU but it doesn't freeze. I have to turn it off with Task Manager and restart it. It doesn't seem like it's related to what I'm doing online when this slowdown happens. For example, I had about 10 tabs open and it worked perfectly and it'll freeze when I have only 4 open.

I just updated to 3.5.3 and thought that would fix the problem but no luck (had to end the program twice in the past 2 hours). Any ideas? :unsure:

Could be a number of things:

1) Look to see of there any incomplete download files. Tools --> downloads. If so, remove the incomplete downloads by cancelling and deleting.
2) Could be a build up of cache/browsing history. Can try clearing these: Tools -->Clear recent history -->click on ‘details’ -->choose either cache or Browsing & downloading history (or both) -->click ‘clear now’.
3) It could be an add-on. Try running firefox in ‘safe mode’. There should be a firefox (safe mode) option in the firefox folder of the start menu. Safe mode helps determine if it is indeed an add-on causing problems.

There could be other reasons causing slow down and freezing, but methink these are the most common reasons. May your firefox issues be solved swiftly and with sweet, sweet vengeance.

Thanks! :) I know its not #1 or 2 because I clean it out at least once a week. I'm running it in Safe Mode right now and we'll see. I looked in the Add-ons and I have Microsoft .NET Framework Assistant under Extensions which has a little red ! and a "Not compatible with FF 3.5.3". Maybe that's the cause? Then again, if it's not working than disabling it shouldn't do anything to it. Meh, we'll see. :p

Are you using Windows XP? I notice from the FF forums that there seem to be issues between FF 3.5 and XP. There doesn't seem to be a solution yet. At least from what I've read. Hopefully there is one. Otherwise your firefox deserves a punch in it's guts.

Back