Tiaa-cref

There's a new commercial out that features the song "Somewhere" from West Side Story .. "There's a place for us, somewhere a place for us". The artist is sounds very familiar and at first I thought it might be Elvis Costello, but I couldn't find it anywhere on the Web. Does anybody know who the artist is?

yay!! :D found it! i just saw that commercial for the first time and i swore up and down it was chan marshall, of cat power fame. she has such a beautiful voice, i just knew it was her! though this is, by no means proof.

Does anybody know the song played during the TIAA-Cref ads? One takes place in a hospital, and one in what looks like a college classroom. The same song is used in both, and it's a slow song with a male vocalist.

Lena

Because new versions of old questions get people riled, previous posts on the subject haven't been very complete, and for symbiosis across the various questions:

There are at least 3, possibly more, versions of West Side Story's "Somewhere" used in the TIAA-CREF commercials:

David Sylvian, of the band Japan
Ian McCulloch, of the band Echo and the Bunnymen
Chan Marshall, a.k.a. Cat Power

I may be wrong, but I believe:
The original-but-rare, deeper-voiced & gravelly version is David Sylvian.
The Ian McCulloch version is the most prevalent.
The only known version with a woman singing is Chan Marshall.

I have further found that none of these performers has rerecorded the song for release. They appear to be made-for-tv-commercial versions only (though I would truly love to be corrected on this statement).

I dont think I've seen this on adtunes yet. Theres a new hp commercial which is composed of just one shot of a guy walking down a hospital hallway. The music is guitar with lyrics from the Pet Shop Boys "Somewhere".

Can someone identify who did the new song? (the pet shop boys are a techno group and this is an acoustic guitar song, so i dont know if it qualifies as a "remix" :p)

The original version of 'Somewhere' is actually from West Side Story.

Several versions of the song were recently used in commercials for TIAA-CREF.

Could one of these be the one you're looking for?

MICHELLE - You beat me to it!!

FOUND THIS ON ANOTHER SITE:

I wrote to TIAA CREF and got this response:

We're actually running serveral version at the moment, depending on
which one you saw here are the people who are singing

the one that features a Lecturer, custodian, Curator is Vic Chesnutt
the one with the piano tuner is Chan Marshall
the one with the doctor/nurse in scrubs is Ian McColloch

Hope that helps.

Glen

------------
I listened to a different track from Vic Chesnutt and Ian McColloch and it didn't sound like either one, although it could just be the song. I also think it sounds more like Elvis Costello or Bono. isaac

There's a commercial that keeps airing on TV in which you see a large college class sitting in a lecture hall and a voice begins singing. I swear the voice is Ian McCulloch and I believe the song is "Somewhere (There's a Place for Us)" originally from West Side Story. Anyone know where I can find Mac's version?

"Somewhere (there's a place for us)"

Music: Leonard Bernstein
Lyrics: Stephen Sondheim

There's a place for us,
Somewhere a place for us.
Peace and quiet and open air
Wait for us somewhere.

There's a time for us,
Someday a time for us.
Time together with time to spare,
Time to learn, time to care.

Someday, somewhere
We'll find a new way of living,
We'll find a way of forgiving,
Somewhere.

OK, i dont know the commercial it was on but it was a guy singing "Somewhere" (a place for us) from West Side Story with just a guitar or something. has anyone heard that commercial lately (i've only noticed it in the past coupla weeks). if you try entering "somewhere" in winMX or tower.com you get like 5,000 results so if you guys can help me, i'll love you forever ( or until my next questio) ;)

I would like to know the name of the male who sings the song "Somewhere" from West Side Story that starts out "There's a place for us, somewhere a place for us.." used in a TIAA-CREF Financial Services I saw 12-21-04 at the end of the 27th Annual Kennedy Center Honors. Thank you.

There's been a commercial ( not even sure what it's for ) playing for a while where a woman is singing the old west side story song "There's a place for us, somewhere a time and place for us" This is a different commercial then the one sung by the guy, which aired during the '04 olympics. Anyone know who sings this particular version?

Originally posted by isaactraveler@Oct 25 2004, 08:29 PM
the one that features a Lecturer, custodian, Curator is Vic Chesnutt
the one with the piano tuner is Chan Marshall
the one with the doctor/nurse in scrubs is Ian McColloch
Does anybody know where i can find the music files for any of these three versions?

does anyone kno the name of the song on the TIAA CREF financial services commercial....its got a man tuning a piano on a concert stage....the song is being played on piano and has a women singing

absolutely no one has answered this question, ill i could find was ppl talkin about the hospital one or the olympics...the way ppl have posted on the subject is vvery confusing, if i missed it please just tell me the name cuz i swear it wasnt wrote in all those post....

The song is Somewhere (it's the same song in all the ads), the person who sings it is Chan Marshall.

Back