Coke Holiday Spot

Originally posted by dagwood@Dec 17 2004, 08:56 AM
I received this from Coca Cola this morning:

Thank you for contacting The Coca-Cola Company. We always appreciate
interest in our advertising.

The version of White Christmas used in our new holiday ad is an
original version. It was produced using studio performers. Unfortunately, it
is not available on CD or as a download.

If you ever have any more comments or questions, please feel free to
contact us again.

Gisele
Industry and Consumer Affairs
The Coca-Cola Company

:)
I think Coca-Cola is mistaken. I'm almost certain this is sung by "Temptress", not just "studio performers". The mp3 can be found at http://artists.iuma.com/IUMA/Bands/Temptress/

Obviously the mp3 is going to be longer than the TV spot version, but if you compare the fast parts towards the end, especially with the guys in the background sing "snow, snow, snow", etc, I think you'll agree that the song in the mp3 and the TV commercial are the same.

Oh, and I found this by using Rhapsody, to which I have a subscription. I just did a search on every song with the title White Christmas, and listened to every one where the artist name wasn't something classical sounding. ;p

-kpw

I managed to make an mp3 of it from the commercial, if anyone is interested.

Lea724 at gmail dot com

:)

That's the same response I got from Coke. What a bunch of lame customer service people.

Still Hunting for the right answer......

Stiff Little Fingers, a punk band from N. Ireland does a live version of White Christmas that is almost identical to the one heard on this ad. When I first saw the commercial I nearly fell off my couch. The album is Hankx! and I am sure you can get downloads of this on the net. I found this site b/c I wanted to see if they had gotten SLF to go into the studio to redo their live version for the ad. I think Coke did use studio musicans but they stole the SLF version.

S.L.F.'s "White Christmas" is also on the Rhino compilation "Punk Rock Christmas."

That spot got me thinking and I searched the iTunes store for some not-so-traditional Christmas music and found a lot to like (and buy). If you like the punked-out sound try "Relient K Christmas."

Merry Christmas, All

Back