AT&T

While I can't imagine *why* they'd be running different sound tracks with it in different parts of the world, I also can't imagine why not. So, in the end, who knows? ...apart from someone who catches the two incarnations... I know which one i've seen though, and it's definitely *not* Jr Walker.

Think it's worth getting in touch with the ad agency that put it together?

Couldn't hurt. It's usually a 50/50 proposition. Sometimes their forthcoming and sometimes not. Kinda hard for me to tell who the agency is so far though.

Originally posted by Zorg@May 20 2004, 07:33 AM
Chemical Brothers - "Where do I Begin"
Vanilla Sky soundtrack (Abre Los Ojos ripoff)
LMK
-Zorg
Good hear -- that's exactly it! That Vanilla Sky soundtrack has been getting a lot of milage (Mondo 77, anyone? c'mon c'mon!)

I think maybe that's what they mean by " (Abre Los Ojos ripoff)." :unsure:

If we don't figure out who it is (i'm still tracking down the Abre Los Ojos soundtrack - i've got a good feeling about that one) then maybe the artist will come out of the shadows after hearing about themselves...

I wanted to check that soundtrack first (it's my suspicion that Zorg, in all his vagueness, means that the original song that *is* used in the commercial has been remade by the Chemical Brothers and released on the Vanilla Sky soundtrack), but I did check out the AT&T website, to no avail. If it's not on the soundtrack, I'll start from the top of the 800 number list and try and get in touch with their ad bureau, and maybe find the agency that put it together.

The soundtrack isn't exactly carried by Sam Goody though.

What Zorg meant is that the movie Vanilla Sky is a remake of the movie Abre Los Ojos. I doubt the song from the AT&T commercial is on the Abre Los Ojos soundtrack. As far as I know the Chemical Brothers song is an original composition.

Yeah, i got that much, and have been tracking down the Abre los Ojos soundtrack bit by bit since. There's a lot of work on it that I already have (pulled from other cds - Massive Attack, Sneaker Pimps, Amphetamine Discharge, etc), but also some work that may be original compositions? And from the reviews I've read of Vanilla Sky compared to Abre los Ojos, it's a damn near line-for-line interpretation, just with lesser screenplay value. I figure if they're willing to swipe a movie like that, why not contract to swipe a theme from it as well? And given how similar the Chemical Bro's. song is to the one on the commercial, and that it's on the Vanilla Sky soundtrack, possibly the song on the commercial is originally cut off of Abre los Ojos.

...Allow me to step down from the soapbox...

You're right, though... the Chemical Brothers song may very well be an original composition that was only *used* in the movie, not *written* for it, and I could be barking up not only the wrong tree, but in the wrong forest.

I dunno, IMHO, the Chemical Brothers song is dead on... at least with the ad I've been seeing. I wonder if companies put out different versions of ads with the same visuals but different soundtracks for the sole purpose of screwing with our heads. ;)

Still, while the latter half of "Where do I Begin" sounds nothing like the song in the commercial, the first fifteen seconds or so are DEFINITELY where its at!
-Slimjackson

Unless they really are putting out two different ads, they're honestly not one and the same. They sound rediculously similar, I agree wholeheartedly. But they're most definitely not the same song. I'll try and tape the commercial, and rip it to MP3.

I was thinking of doing the same thing ;)

If not to help you all, then to listen to it more closely for myself...

Ok... its very difficult to concentrate when listening to the Aphex Twin remix of the Speed Racer theme... you try it!

Either way, I hope SOMEBODY puts this one to rest...
-Slimjackson

Back