Anyone know what this means?

Sir_Garland

Pro Member
Reaction score
I got this in a myspace bulletin but I have no idea what it's talking about. Any ideas?

Hopefully the NTIA will be able to find some inexpensive set top box receivers (currently re-furbs cost around $150.00).
Anyway; FYI...

>>> "FCC-ConsumerNews" 2/14/2006 10:29 AM >>>

Did you know that February 17, 2009, is the date set by Congress for all TV stations to stop analog broadcasts? After that date, consumers with analog sets will need to obtain a separate converter box to watch over-the-air TV. Beginning in 2008, consumers with analog TVs receiving over-the-air broadcasts will be able to obtain two coupons worth $40 each towards the purchase of converter boxes from the National Telecommunications and Information Administration (NTIA). NTIA will publish rules on how to obtain and use the coupons sometime in 2006.

For more information on the digital transition, check out our Web site at www.dtv.gov

:unsure: Ravi?

after that date digital tv will be the benchmark, i guess

so youre set till 2009... after that youll need a decoder for 'regular' tv, just like you need a decoder now for digital tv

I've heard of that too in video class.. didn't know you'd need a converter though...

Yes, you need a converter if you want to use current analog tv. Most cities in US have broadcast tv in both digital and analog already. But the converter boxes are expensive. Cheapest about $120. The boxes are cheaper in UK and Autralia, but the effin guys here chose a different standard for US. But the boxes will come down in price. Also, by 2009 all new TVs are supposed have built in digital tuners.
Even now, lot of higher end models have analog and digital inputs.

Here in WPB, there are about 15 digital channels. Being digital, they are crystal clear. Better than cable. And it's free. So the change is welcome. But that's not the reason why the congress is doing this. The broadcast and movie people want to digitally watermark stuff they don't want you to record. So they lobbied the congress to phase out analog broadcast. Requiring digital by 2009 is understandable, but why make analogue illegal? The ACLU and Liberation Digital Television Front are fighting this 'broadcast flag' technology. So far they have won, but we will have to wait and see.

BTW, this in no way affects cable or DSS. It's for only rabbit ears.

I have satellite, I'm the clear. If they took away tv and no one told me I wouldn't even notice.

Back