What happens if I don't delete an mp3..........

drizzt_fan14

Pro Member
Reaction score
within 24 hours? I've just noticed in a lot of places, they say to delete the mp3 you saved after 24 hours. Will you get caught or something? I didn't think they were illegal if you're using it for your own personal use. :huh:

then why would she worry about being caught if she was talking about legal downloading?

If you make a copy from a CD that you paid for it's fine as long as it's for your personal use and you don't pass those copies around for free. If you got it from a file sharing site then it's probably not not ok.
There are sites that have legitimate free downloads to promote an artists work and those are ok. They're usually the artists official site and they know which songs they gave away. ;)
As far as deleting it goes..technically once something has been in your computer there is always a trace of it even after it's been deleted and copied over. :ph34r:

Originally posted by givemfitz@Aug 10 2005, 12:47 PM
There are sites that have legitimate free downloads to promote an artists work and those are ok. They're usually the artists official site and they know which songs they gave away. ;)
Yeah, that's the kind of site I was on. Thanks ;)

Rules like that are part of licensing agrement. You agree to the condition when you download the stuff. So you should honor it. Some companies sell images for graphic design with similar agrements. (make only one copy for backup, etc). But FYI, there is no way for them to actually check if you deleted the file. The only way they can check is if you give them access to your computer, for example, by downloading an installing a program from them.

Originally posted by cultclassic@Aug 11 2005, 02:00 PM
Rules like that are part of licensing agrement. You agree to the condition when you download the stuff. So you should honor it. Some companies sell images for graphic design with similar agrements. (make only one copy for backup, etc). But FYI, there is no way for them to actually check if you deleted the file. The only way they can check is if you give them access to your computer, for example, by downloading an installing a program from them.
now this...this i did not know :huh:

:lol: I didn't even read the question right. :lol: :lol: :lol:
Are there really sites out there that say, "Here, have a free MP3 but delete it within 24 hours."? WTF could they be thinking? Do they think people will do that? Are they for real? :lol: :lol: :rolleyes:

:lol: Yeah this is the first time I heard about that kind of site.

I remember I went to visit the French Kicks band site...and they had free mp3's of a couple of songs off their new album, so I downloaded them...and within 24 hours, they just dissapeared on their own. So, I downloaded it the next day and put it on my ipod, hehe...then it vanished.

Yeah I would think they'd have to use self enforced coding because the honor system sure isn't going to work. :lol: :lol: :lol:

actually that 24 hours thing is used by lots of sites that have downlods of...questionable legality, especially emulation sites. they use the 24 hour thing as a shield cuz they say like 'you can get this mp3 if you have the cd and want to make a backup' or something. however, that 24 hour thing isnt correct at all, unless the maker of the music says it. mostly it's a trick people use to protect themselves from anti-piracy organisations

That makes sense Scythe. I've just never run into one. *shrugs*

Originally posted by Scythe+Aug 11 2005, 03:51 PM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (Scythe @ Aug 11 2005, 03:51 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-ALDR123456789N@Aug 11 2005, 09:49 PM
leave it to scythe to answer all our questions <_<
:( :cry: [/b][/quote]
no way, ur my hero :)

Originally posted by givemfitz@Aug 11 2005, 09:53 PM
That makes sense Scythe. I've just never run into one. *shrugs*
try any emulation site. their disclaimer will have that 24-hour thing in it, even though in their case it's bullocks (and i dont mean sandra)

Back