Quidam = What Language?

Exile_Inc

Reaction score
I realize that this is more of a board for FINDING music as opposed to discussing music that has already been found, but here goes...

Quidam Music Listing

Scroll down to the part where you can actually listen to some of the tracks listed on the CD, and let me direct your attention to the song "Marelle"

I have such a keen interest in this album and their entire production, but for the life of me, I don't know what language it is they're singing in.

Anyone have a clue?

The words sound slavic, sometimes Czech, but in reality are actually improvised. When Cirque De Soleil advertised for a male singer, they specified this requirement "Vocal style sought: voice able to pay homage, with depth and richness, to lyrics in an invented language" (emphasis added by the poster). I guess there's your answer!

good music though! :)

Most of the other songs they sing are in Canadian French, but since the whole Cirque production is drama, then everything is naturally made up.

As cultclassic said, the chances of it being an invented language are high. Much like Adiemus. If you watched Cique's Fire Within, you'd see that even their latest production, Varekai, is a made up word. :p

I know that quiddam is a latin word meaning: a certain, or some- for ex: "a certain man walked past me" but as for the rest of the song i have no idea sorry. Latin isn't even spoken anymore so i doubt thats what it is. its just a coincidence that both languages use the same word probably

Well, I know for certain that Quidam is a French word, and the definition they wanted out of is was described as:

"A nameless passer-by, a solitary figure lingering on a street corner, a person rushing past. It could be anyone, anybody. Someone coming, going, living in our anonymous society. A member of the crowd, one of the silent majority. The one who cries out, sings and dreams within us all."

So I figured that they might have based their songs on some language, I guess it never really occurred to me that they might simply just make up a language.

Thanks.

:D

Back