Last Good Movie You Saw

Winchester '73 - 7.6/10. Ridiculous portrayal of the Indians, but this was common for movies back then. Still a good movie. Jimmy Stewart is one of me favorites.

"Atonement"

A very clever variation of "Momento", where chaotic screenplay structure itself mirrors the mindset of the narrator/protagonist.

Well, I said a "variation" didn't I? <_<

Besides, the two respective psyches of the two protagonists are different, hence requiring different "formulas", if you will. Conversely, if the plot structures were identical, then the two distinctinctly messed up psyches of the two protagonists would also resemble each other--which is ridiculous.

Let me give you two words to mull over: "archetype" and "resonance".

Hopefully a light bulb just turned on... :rolleyes:

You must be one of those "one size fits all" blokes. ;)

Ok, ok. I'll spell it out... :eek:

The two films belong to the same archetype where the plot structure (proportionally) resonates with the respective mental states of their protagonists. B)

The Incredible Hulk - 6.5/10. Fun popcorn movie. I thought Ed Norton was a better Dr. Banner than Eric Bana. Liv Tyler doesn't quite have the acting chops that Jennifer Connelly has for the role of Betty Ross. But Tyler was still good.

The Happening......finally a Shyamalan movie that can't really be picked apart.

Aha! Have to buy the tix way in advance. I had to do that to see SATC. I watched Hang 'Em High on TV over the weekend. Eastwood + Leone = Classic Good Movie (even if it is a Western).... ;)

Originally posted by givemfitz@Jun 15 2008, 10:06 PM
The Happening......finally a Shyamalan movie that can't really be picked apart.
Because there was absolutely nothing to it, 6 minutes of content stretched into and hour and a half, his worst movie yet, by far and I fucking hated Signs, alot.

^ I loved Signs and especially The Village. <_<

Without question, The Sixth Sense was his best work, but not a favourite of mine.

Lady in the Water was stupid. He really got in over his head on that one.

At Yahoo Box Office, The Happening got C/C- from critics and fans. Looks like another stinker from a once mighty giant of film. I'll wait for the DVD.

I saw the Happening tonight. I liked it. 7.2/10.

Shyamalan needs to keep himself out of movies. I thought that was his biggest failing in his past two movies. His acting stinks like some sort of manure. Maybe pig manure? Pig manure smells pretty bad. His cameo was very, very tiny in the Happening. Good move on his part.

I disagree. He's a brilliant guy who successfully redefined the suspence-thriller genre.

His problem is that he not thoroughly thinking thru his ideas. His bag of tricks is quite sophisticated. He's certainly no Fellini, but he's exceedingly bright.

Fellini is... Well, he's just a towering genius. :rolleyes:

Originally posted by Na_Pali_Coast_Kauai@Jun 18 2008, 09:44 AM
I disagree. He's a brilliant guy who successfully redefined the suspence-thriller genre.
:huh:

That may be true but how does that counter critisism towards his acting performance?

btw I liked Lady in the Water :angry:

Originally posted by Na_Pali_Coast_Kauai@Jun 18 2008, 12:44 AM
I disagree.
So you think he's a good actor? Because his acting ability is what I was critiquing. This is the first time I ever seen someone defend his ability to act. :lol:

Well... I wouldn't call it bad... narcissistic, perhaps, but there are far worse actors out there.

As long as he plays rather small parts it doesn't bother me... in fact I find it quite entertaining to try and guess when he will pop up.

:lol: Bad is a perfect description for his acting ability. But it is true that there are worse out there. :p

I like his cameos as well. As long as he keeps them short.

Well so far I've only seen him in Lady in the Water and Signs. I was planning to see the Village but my brother leaked the big twist to me and I thought it was kinda gay...

Anyway, so far I haven't found him to take away from the movie. Does he play bigger parts in other movies? I could imagine that being very intrusive.

Back