GMC Envoy XUV

hjtuna

Reaction score
Saw this commercial last night on the ESPN pre-Monday Night Football show. A dozen or so GMC Envoy SUVs having their
doors open and shut to a constant drum beat. Anyone have any idea where the background music is from? Have a feeling it
may be from that Broadway show "Stomp" but I'm not positive. Any help will be appreciated.

Well, dangit. <_<

Being a STOMP-head (er, that is, a fan of STOMP), I could probably help, if only I could see or hear this commercial.

Has anyone else seen it? Even, perhaps, know of where one could view or hear a copy of it on this big ol' internet of ours?

=) happyjud

yes, I am also trying to find it!!! I"m still in the hunt for at least the ad for people to see.

I think I may know what you are thinking of....It called Tijuana Sessions (or Tiguana Sessions)...A buddie of mine from Mexico gave a copy of this new Mexican Techno CD. A few months ago I heard the first song from the CD on an ESPN commercial. Hope this helps!!

Well I found the advertising agency that created the GMC Envoy XUV which is: Lowe Lintas & Partners http://www.loweworldwide.com/intro.html

But I assume it’s their New York branch that handles the GM contract, I have there name and number. I going to “try” and call next week if I can, but if somebody else wants to try and beat me to the punch that’s fine by me!

New York of Lowe:

One Dag Hammarskjold Plaza
New York, NY 10017
(212) 605-8000
newyork.office@loweworldwide.com

I just saw a commerical for the XUV on CBS during a patriots game and its showcasing the sliding roof feature, its got this very energetic symphony beat to it near the end of the commercial, but unfortunately it seems like this is a piece made just for the commercial...anyone else know what I'm talking about? :huh:

Thanks,
Steve

Originally posted by Twilight@Dec 14 2003, 12:33 PM
but unfortunately it seems like this is a piece made just for the commercial...anyone else know what I'm talking about? :huh:
yeah, that's what it sounded like to me.

I don't know.. the drum beat does sound like "Tusk" but nothing else does.
My vote is for original composition.

I just downloaded "Tusk" and it sounds almost exacly as I remember the commercial. :ph34r:

I PROMISE you it's not Tusk. The drum is similar in the beginning but the other instruments' parts and the words are not the same. Listen to Tusk - the album version - from 12 seconds to 28 (the first 12 seconds is barely audible intro), straight drum only, then the words start: "Why don't you ask him if he's going to stay?" right at 28 seconds. Then listen to the first 15 seconds of the ad: drum, bass, and vocal "Ooooh"s, then at 15 seconds a voice says "one two three" and a (synthesized?) violin comes in. The only words in the ad are "one two three", repeated a few times. Not the same song.

They could have edited the song to make it fit the commercial. So it wouldn't be exactly "Tusk" but they sound so similar. I think that the just modified the the song

In my earlier post I said I was going to call the agency who made the commercial, but unfortunately I’m just not able to during the day since there in NY and I’m in CA....but I did send the agency an email, hopefully they will respond!:)

Originally posted by usdgomez@Dec 16 2003, 01:03 AM
They could have edited the song to make it fit the commercial. So it wouldn't be exactly "Tusk" but they sound so similar. I think that the just modified the the song
Right.. but what I'm saying is that the two songs have nothing in common.

Tusk lyrics:
Why don't you ask him if he's going to stay?
Why don't you ask him if he's going away?
Why don't you tell me what's going on?
Why don't you tell me who's on the phone?
Why don't you ask him what's going on?
Why don't you ask him who's the latest on his throne?
Don't say that you love me!
Just tell me that you want me!
Tusk! Tusk! Tusk! Tusk!
Tusk! Tusk! Tusk! Tusk!
Tusk! Tusk! Tusk! Tusk!
Tusk! Tusk! Tusk! Tusk!
Tusk!

ad lyrics:
oooooh!
One, two, three!

Also, the melodies have nothing in common. Listen to them side by side. Tusk features a horn section and chanting, the ad has a synthesized violin and minimal words.
The drum beats are the only things that sound even remotely similar, but the rhythm of the two drums aren't the same. Listen to the ad, taking the bass out in your mind, and count the rythm, then listen to Tusk.
Yes, maybe the drums sound a little bit the same.. but if you take a song, change the drum's rhythm, add a bass, change the words completely, take out the horns and chanting, add a violin.. then it's not the same song any more. That goes far beyond editing a song to fit the 60 second time frame. If they wanted Tusk, they would have chopped out a section of the song that spans 60 seconds, not changed it entirely.

But anyway, I'm not trying to force anyone to see my way, I'm just stating as a lifelong Fleetwood Mac fan that I don't hear "Tusk" when I see that ad.. so y'all can listen for yourselves and draw your own conclusions. ;)

Ok there are TWO GMC Envoy commercials one IS tusk, one is not. The one with like 12 of the trucks in rows is Tusk the one I described is not.

The one with the 12 trucks in rows is the one I was talking about up there. ^

Back