"Electronica" is not a genre of music.

easilywow

Reaction score
When Electronic music came back in the '90s, "Electronica" became a popular term to market this sort of music. I found this out from Ishkur's Guide to Electronic Music. I always thought "Electronica" sounded like an odd term, more "pop-ish" and "techno'ish," especially to define music like Air, Broadcast, and Akufen. Even Aphex Twin...which to me has its own identifiable sound and followers...doesn't seem to fit under the term "Electronica."
I have always prefered the term "Electronic music." Much more accurate and...sophisticated? So I'm glad to know that..that's what it really is!

Wow, this is crazy, I've always called it "electronic music". Great minds think alike. :)

Originally posted by Bloodlessr@Aug 27 2005, 08:29 PM
Wow, this is crazy, I've always called it "electronic music". Great minds think alike. :)
:huh:

anyway it's actually quite logical...electronica isnt a term for music it's a term for chips and stuff, like capacitators and those tiny little batteries that go 'pop' when you stand on them. electronic music came to be known as that cuz...well people figured 'hey lets be cool and call it a name thet exists of only one word, yea'.......

Originally posted by Bloodlessr@Aug 27 2005, 10:29 AM
Most definitely.
Your photography and digital work is phenomenal.

Originally posted by Scythe+Aug 27 2005, 10:37 AM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (Scythe @ Aug 27 2005, 10:37 AM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-Bloodlessr@Aug 27 2005, 08:29 PM
Wow, this is crazy, I've always called it "electronic music".  Great minds think alike.  :)
:huh:

anyway it's actually quite logical...electronica isnt a term for music it's a term for chips and stuff, like capacitators and those tiny little batteries that go 'pop' when you stand on them. electronic music came to be known as that cuz...well people figured 'hey lets be cool and call it a name thet exists of only one word, yea'....... [/b][/quote]
Yeah, it takes too much energy to make the tongue dance in order to pronounce the additional syllable that forms the extra word.
Yeah, I mean..it is only one extra syllable. It's like abbreviating the word...uh..."to" as "2." I guess. There are better examples, but I cannot think of them now. Haha. You catch my drift, I'm sure.

Originally posted by Bloodlessr+Aug 27 2005, 09:34 PM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (Bloodlessr @ Aug 27 2005, 09:34 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-easilywow@Aug 27 2005, 07:29 PM
Most definitely.
Your photography and digital work is phenomenal.
Thanks. Check these out. [/b][/quote]
ah, wow
love the Chicago pics (I'm from Chicago)
You must travel a lot. I envy you.
One more year...ahhh

Originally posted by easilywow@Aug 27 2005, 11:28 PM
ah, wow
One more year...ahhh
All the photos except for Chicago were taken during one trip in 2003. The Chicago photos are from 2004 but we were only there for 3 days for a Halo tourney.

I'm leaving for Costa Rica in two weeks too. I guess I have traveled a bit in the last few years but before our trip in 2003 I hadn't been on one in 8 years. I have them coming I guess. :D

Originally posted by Bloodlessr+Aug 28 2005, 10:40 AM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (Bloodlessr @ Aug 28 2005, 10:40 AM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-easilywow@Aug 27 2005, 11:28 PM
ah, wow
One more year...ahhh
All the photos except for Chicago were taken during one trip in 2003. The Chicago photos are from 2004 but we were only there for 3 days for a Halo tourney.

I'm leaving for Costa Rica in two weeks too. I guess I have traveled a bit in the last few years but before our trip in 2003 I hadn't been on one in 8 years. I have them coming I guess. :D [/b][/quote]
Very cool.
I'm saving up money to travel all around a little over a year from now..
Tokyo, Thailand, India, Boston..(?, haha), New York...well I don't know
those compile on my list thus far

Originally posted by easilywow+Aug 27 2005, 12:31 PM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (easilywow @ Aug 27 2005, 12:31 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> When Electronic music came back in the '90s, "Electronica" became a popular term to market this sort of music. I found this out from Ishkur's Guide to Electronic Music. I always thought "Electronica" sounded like an odd term, more "pop-ish" and "techno'ish," especially to define music like Air, Broadcast, and Akufen. Even Aphex Twin...which to me has its own identifiable sound and followers...doesn't seem to fit under the term "Electronica."
I have always prefered the term "Electronic music." Much more accurate and...sophisticated? So I'm glad to know that..that's what it really is! [/b]

lol I new from the thread title you'd been reading Ishkur's guide...

But even though I gave you guys this link I must remind you that his (or any) classification of music is not universaly accepted.

If you read his disclaimer page (top right corner of the guide), he states:

<!--QuoteBegin-Ishkur

This guide is a non-technical, irreverent critique of electronic dance music. Its purpose is to entertain before it informs. I suppose it could be used as a credited resource or educational primer, but thats not recomended since I made most of it up. Several biases are celebrated lavishly, because downcasting people for their taste in music is closed-minded. Except if their taste in music sucks.[/quote]

Even though this guy (late twenties, 27 if I remeber correctly) has enormous musical knowledge, he did make up a lot of words.

My point is, the more people say "electronica" the more it WILL become a genre... just like what people are calling Rock & Roll now is definately not the same as what Elvis was doing... words and languages evolve...

But anyhow, the guide is awesome and MUST be read by anyone who enjoys music history.

;)

Bloodlessr.

Great work!
It makes me want to pick up my camera again,though Im afraid I've forgotten much of what I learned in college Im sure it will come back just as easily once the process begins. I only did black and white and never used the color medium,with graphics the way they are now its hard not to want to experiment.

P

Color and B&W are very similar when you are tkaing photos, you still want everything alittle overexposed its just the development and printing process that is different.

Oh and thanks btw. :D

Back