Anyone in advertising?

colormekris

Reaction score
Not quite new, but I never got to post here that much before.

Considering that this is an ad music website, I was wondering exactly how many people here are actually persuing (or are already in) careers in advertising? And if so, what you do (copywriter, coffee-boy, print, video, etc) and maybe even what firm you work for (totally up to you). Just thought it'd be a nice ice-breaker for anyone out there in Advertising.

Who knows, maybe you all just really like to find good, obscure bands through commercials. :p

Don't work in advertising but I did wanna say hi and how ya holdin up from Dennis? :)

:eek: same here.. I've never been in a hurricane (just the headache afters) and I hope that bitch emily shows up here... but nope not in advertising, but it would be cool to make pics all day :)

Originally posted by colormekris@Jul 14 2005, 02:57 PM

Who knows, maybe you all just really like to find good, obscure bands through commercials. :p
Pretty much the story for most of us I think. Some ad people around here somewhere though. :p

How ya doin'? Welcome.

Originally posted by dascoot@Jul 14 2005, 02:06 PM
Don't work in advertising but I did wanna say hi and how ya holdin up from Dennis? :)
Interesting that you would ask...

He actually hit right on my birthday (Sunday), and I just got power back Wednesday night. In all honesty, Dennis wasn't as bad as Ivan, although we were expecting a lot worse. Thanks for asking!

Originally posted by colormekris@Jul 14 2005, 10:44 PM
Interesting that you would ask...

He actually hit right on my birthday (Sunday), and I just got power back Wednesday night. In all honesty, Dennis wasn't as bad as Ivan, although we were expecting a lot worse. Thanks for asking!
Yeah I saw that at your site.. happy belated birthday anyway! Was it totally ruined? :(

Man the longest we lost power for was about 12 hours.. the day AFTER Jean passed. Figure that out. :rolleyes:

Originally posted by dascoot@Jul 14 2005, 07:27 PM
Was it totally ruined? :(

Man the longest we lost power for was about 12 hours.. the day AFTER Jean passed. Figure that out. :rolleyes:
Yeah, Ivan tore us up. There are businesses still on the beach recovering, most still abandoned. A lot of my friends are still staying in hotels (permanently) until their houses are restored. I evacuated to Tally for it and even after staying for three weeks, power still wasn't restored at my place.

Damn, I'm sorry real to hear that.. does homeowner's/renter's insurance cover hotel charges? Or did you have someone to stay with?

If you can believe it I'm STILL not insured.. but then the premiums shot so far up after last year that there's no way I coulda afforded a policy. Gotta get on that though.

does homeowner's/renter's insurance cover hotel charges? Or did you have someone to stay with?

As far as I know, it doesn't, but I'm not insured so I don't know either. In most cases, though, FEMA will compensate you for charges accrued. Yeah, I stayed with a friend in Tallahassee.

If you can believe it I'm STILL not insured.. but then the premiums shot so far up after last year that there's no way I coulda afforded a policy. Gotta get on that though.

Yeah, I'm the same way. I don't know how it is in Tampa (my roommate is from there), but Pensacola's cost-of-living is really high compared to minimum wage. Most people here can't afford it... which is sad because the ones who usually can't afford it are the ones who really need it.

*sighh* Yeah, ain't that some shit.

I'm actually in Pasco county where the cost of living is ridiculously low.. I live in a 1200 square foot apartment with 2 bed/2 bath, patio & dishwasher (my last one didn't have either so this is heaven for me) for $600 a month.

/brag

But I wouldn't think that of Pensacola.. the furthest out on the panhandle I've been was Tally but that was pretty much the boonies. Is it a big city?

Most people wouldn't expect a lot of things from Pensacola. It's rich in history (it is the first establishment in the US pre-dating St. Augustine, the only reason why it isn't considered first is because the colony failed after a freak hurricane).

Escambia County (Pensacola) is the poorest county in Florida. It also has the least paid teachers for public schools. It also ranks in the top 8 for HIV/AIDS rates in adults in Florida. I also read in a report somewhere that Pensacola also has the highest infant and elderly mortality rate in the southeast due to pollution. All in all, it's a very peachy place.

The city itself isn't that big population-wise. But it is very spread out. The city has a population half that of Tallahasee, but is probably larger in geographic area.

....as for the apartment. I'd kill for that. Right now I'm paying $850 for what you have (sans patio). A friend of mine moved to Oklahoma and said she found a 3bed/2.5 bath apartment (upstairs/downstairs) in a gated community for only $425. I need to move to OK. :p

Holy crap, you ain't kiddin..

I have heard horror stories about Pensacola.. I dated a guy stationed at Eglin and he pissed and moaned about it. :rolleyes:

Ah well, I like it here.. hate the summers but I've been here all my life and it's what I know. :)

...as for the apartment. I'd kill for that. Right now I'm paying $850 for what you have (sans patio). A friend of mine moved to Oklahoma and said she found a 3bed/2.5 bath apartment (upstairs/downstairs) in a gated community for only $425. I need to move to OK. tongue.gif

What year was this? And where in OK? I'm in Oklahoma and the last apartment I rented was $585 for a 1 bedroom/1 bath tiny-ass place not in a real bad area but definately not a gated community. The house I was just renting was 3 (very small) bedrooms/1 bath about 1200 sq ft I'd say, for $685 right in the heart of Mexico#2. But I do realize that our cost of living is lower in Oklahoma and it could be worse, I could be in California paying much more for something much smaller. :p

I dated a guy stationed at Eglin and he pissed and moaned about it.

Oh... Eglin's a whole nother story. It's actually better over at that area. About 45 minutes' drive, but everything is so commercialized for tourism that it costs an extra buck or two to get a regular big mac at McDs. I think even gas stations have "Locals" cards. :p

What year was this? And where in OK? I'm in Oklahoma and the last apartment I rented was $585 for a 1 bedroom/1 bath tiny-ass place not in a real bad area but definately not a gated community. The house I was just renting was 3 (very small) bedrooms/1 bath about 1200 sq ft I'd say, for $685 right in the heart of Mexico#2. But I do realize that our cost of living is lower in Oklahoma and it could be worse, I could be in California paying much more for something much smaller.

My friend lives in OK City, but now I think I might be confusing it for a different area. I read an article about Nebraska on how low the cost of living is. It's in one of those Republican states, I'm sure. :p

Originally posted by colormekris@Jul 15 2005, 07:06 PM
Oh... Eglin's a whole nother story. It's actually better over at that area. About 45 minutes' drive, but everything is so commercialized for tourism that it costs an extra buck or two to get a regular big mac at McDs. I think even gas stations have "Locals" cards. :p
Yeah that's Orlando too.. beautiful city, and I wasn't born there but I consider it my hometown, but the cost of living was ridiculous for that very reason. Unfortunately there were no locals cards.. but hey! Discounted admission to Disney! :woo:

I'm rather late but I thought I'd say hi too. I'm Anthony. I'm sorta in advertising. Or I will be. I'm a design student right now. But I'm interested in print, web/motion, and logo mostly. I also listen to obscure music heh heh as probably a few others may tell you.

What type of advertising? DO you want to know agencies, or what. I know a few

Back