When We Left Earth: The NASA Missions

Hollydayzd

Reaction score
I am making myself crazy with this one because it is a song I SHOULD know.

All I remember about the commercial is that at one point there is a brief shot of an astronaut. The spot appears on Discovery Channel or History Channel and has a 1960's - 1970's era backing track. It's a group song and tends toward a rock sound.

It is the type of song you might during a vietnam war movie, possibly an anti-war protest type of song.

I KNOW THIS SONG!!! It's killing me, please help.

Could it be "Goin' Up The Country" by Canned Heat? Click here. It was used in a commercial a few years ago.

Ack, I finally figured it out! I heard the commercial again and then did the head-smack when the lead singer's voice was so recognizable only an idiot wouldn't have known who it was. :rolleyes:

It's "Gimme Shelter" by The Rolling Stones (released in 1969).

Thanks anyway, guys.... :)

P.S. The first time I saw this commercial I must have seen a really short version. Saw the longer cut today and finally figured out the song. :p

The commercial is for -

"When we left earth: the NASA missions" on the Discovery Channel.

Originally posted by Hollydayzd@May 26 2008, 01:19 PM
Ack, I finally figured it out! I heard the commercial again and then did the head-smack when the lead singer's voice was so recognizable only an idiot wouldn't have known who it was. :rolleyes:

It's "Gimme Shelter" by The Rolling Stones (released in 1969).

Thanks anyway, guys.... :)
The Rolling Stones is Hippie Music?

:blink: :huh: :blink: :huh: :blink: :huh: :blink:

Really sorry about the multiple posts but I can't seem to figure out how to edit my posts. :blink:

Anyway, when I was racking my brains trying to figure out this song, I had a feeling it was the Rolling Stones, but the presence of the female vocal threw me off.

"A much higher-pitched second vocal track is sung by guest vocalist Merry Clayton."

I was on the right track with the protest music idea:

Jagger said in a 1995 interview with Rolling Stone, "Well, it's a very rough, very violent era. The Vietnam War. Violence on the screens, pillage and burning. And Vietnam was not war as we knew it in the conventional sense..." On the song itself, he concluded, "That's a kind of end-of-the-world song, really. It's apocalypse; the whole record's like that."
The lyrics of the song speak of seeking shelter from a coming storm, painting a picture of devastation and social apocalypse while also talking of the power of love.

Here's the lyrics if anyone is interested:

Oh a storm is threat'ning my very life today
If I don't get some shelter
Oh yeah, I'm gonna fade away

War, children, it's just a shot away, it's just a shot away

See the fire sweepin' out very street today
Burns like a red coal carpet, mad bull lost its way

Rape! Murder! It's just a shot away, it's just a shot away
Rape! Murder! It's just a shot away, it's just a shot away

The floods is threat'ning my very life today.
Gimme, gimme shelter or I'm gonna fade away

It's just a shot away, it's just a shot away, it's just a shot away

Love, sister, it's just a kiss away, it's just a kiss away
It's just a kiss away, it's just a kiss away
It's just a kiss away, it's just a kiss away

- which, in retrospect, seems a strange choice for a show about the space program, but ... whatever. B)

That's some real pinko-commie, hippie protest music if I ever heard it! :p

The Rolling Stones is Hippie Music?

:blink: :huh: :blink: :huh: :blink: :huh: :blink:

Ermmm, yeah I'd say early Stones fall in that category....

"In August 1969, the Woodstock Music and Art Festival took place in Bethel, New York, which for many, exemplified the best of hippie counterculture. Over 500,000 people arrived to hear the most notable musicians and bands of the era, among them Richie Havens, Joan Baez, Janis Joplin, The Grateful Dead, Creedence Clearwater Revival, Crosby, Stills, Nash & Young, Carlos Santana, The Who, Jefferson Airplane, and Jimi Hendrix.

In December 1969, a similar event took place in Altamont, California, about 30 miles (45 km) east of San Francisco. Initially billed as "Woodstock West", its official name was The Altamont Free Concert. About 300,000 people gathered to hear The Rolling Stones; Crosby, Stills, Nash and Young; Jefferson Airplane and other bands."

"Along with the New Left and the American Civil Rights Movement, the hippie movement was one of three dissenting groups of the 1960s counterculture. Hippies rejected established institutions, criticized middle class values, opposed nuclear weapons and the Vietnam War, embraced aspects of Eastern philosophy, championed sexual liberation, were often vegetarian and eco-friendly, promoted the use of psychedelic drugs to expand one's consciousness, and created intentional communities or communes. They used alternative arts, street theatre, folk music, and psychedelic rock as a part of their lifestyle and as a way of expressing their feelings, their protests and their vision of the world and life. Hippies opposed political and social orthodoxy, choosing a gentle and nondoctrinaire ideology that favored peace, love and personal freedom."

Yep, that sounds about right .....

Back