United 93

Originally posted by crzynikki@Apr 28 2006, 08:45 PM
Hmm..I'm not sure what library and cue mean, so I posted a reply asking for clarification.

Searching on Amazon.com, however, I found a band called "Brand X." I wonder if it's the same..
Generally speaking (there are exceptions - trying to keep this brief ;) ) a music library is a collection of music produced or acquired by a company that won't deal with the general public. They cater to licensed production companies for use in advertising, TV shows and other lower budget productions as opposed to a big budget movie that has the time and money to produce an original score or license popular music.

The term "cue" is industry lingo, probably stemming from stage production where a 'song cue' tells you it's time for you to get on stage for example, or in the case of award shows, when you hear the music it's time to get off the stage :D

The internet has changed some of this (God bless X-Ray dog for making 'Here Comes the King' downloadable :angel: ) but there are still many many tracks that may never be available.

NumyMufn, thanks for the helpful information!

LaraPhoenix, thanks so much! I've been waiting for an audio clip, no matter how short!

Dish Network is currently running a tv ad for a pay per view movie, "United 93". If you know the song title / artist played during the commercial, I'd really appreciate having it. It's an orchestra-generated instrumental. Thanks.

What is the closing song of the DVD spot. I have been unable to find a link to the spot but

Haunting male vocals..

it reminded me kind of Mad World from donnie darko in the sense that the song was down tempo....

but this song must be somewhat well known because I swear I have heard it elsewhere.

TV spot is quite short and was advertising the DVD release of the film.

I'm not sure of the song but is This the spot your referring to? It has a bit of a down tempo score.

John Powell composed the score for United 93. Dish Network had a short trailer song by him titled "Stand Up". Very moving music. Our good friend "Thistle" on the "allthelyrics.com" forum correctly provided this information. The below paragraph from amazon may speak to the vocal to which you refer.

This score is as haunting as it is beautiful. The majority of the score is actually nothing but electronic percussion and synthesizers, and is used for the tension building of the film's nature. The first and last tracks are definately the highlights of the album since they are both so similar and different at the same time. The first track will send chills down your spine as it suggests the impending doom of flight 93. The very last track has a completely different tone and is more relaxed, but you can still feel the sorrow and heartbreak in the music. It brought me to tears when I listened to it for the first time. Powell also uses a solo boy vocal in those first and last tracks to an astounding effect. All the boy is singing is a simple "la . . . la . . . la . . . laaaaaa" with a sweeping string ensamble in the background. There is so much emotion in the one voice, the one innocent fragile voice of the entire score. John Powell continues to show he is one of Hollywood's most versitile and talented composers with this subtle masterpiece.

Originally posted by Tusk85@Dec 12 2006, 05:00 PM
I'm not sure of the song but is This the spot your referring to? It has a bit of a down tempo score.

Naw thats not it the one I'm referring to has vocals in it - and I could swear its an actual song that was not composed specifically for the film... but maybe im wrong

"Stand Up" is the same short tune found on the link provided by tusk85. I have the soundtrack and there's no song on there to match your description. I guess we'll keep digging.

Back