Songs that remind you of other songs ...

I got one,

Soldier - Destiny's Child

Like A Pimp - David Banner ft. Lil Flip

Originally posted by Sir_Garland@May 19 2006, 07:52 AM
Vanilla Ice - Ice Ice Baby

Queen - Under Pressure
Vanilla Ice sampled Queen's Under Pressure...hence why they sound the same.

There are LOTS of current artists that sample older songs...some artists just can't find come up with anything original, so to catch our ears they sample... :blink:

Oh No! Oh My! has always reminded me a bit of The Shins.

"Walk In The Park"- Oh No! Oh My! (iTunes)
'New Slang'- The Shins (iTunes)

and

"I Predict A Riot" - Kaiser Chiefs (iTunes)
"Naked In The City Again" - Hot Hot Heat (iTunes)

Interesting comparisons there! :)

Back with a few more ...

The other day, a radio station dug up a forgotten hit from the 90's ...

Loreena McKennitt - "The Mummers' Dance" - CD: The Book of Secrets
CDUniverse sound sample - track 2

For some weird reason, as I was listening to it, and even afterwards, it brought to mind the following song ...

Prince - "When Doves Cry"
CDUniverse sound sample - track 4

Then, here's this ...

Again, I was listening to the radio, heard a relatively new song ...

John Legend - "Save Room" - CD: Once Again
CDUniverse sound sample - track 1

Something in the background of that song made me think of this song ...

Atlanta Rhythm Section - "Spooky"
CDUniverse sound sample - track 8

Enjoy!
There you go.

How about...

"Jack and Diane" by John Cougar Mellencamp

and...

"I Think I'm In Love" by Jessica Simpson

Originally posted by Baldyz22@Aug 29 2006, 08:53 AM
almost all of Blur's songs have vocals that sound very simular to the Gorillaz style.
That's beacuse the lead singer/brainchild of Blur is now The main singer/brainchild of The Gorillaz. Each member of the Gorillaz(4) are from the United Kingdom. On Feel Good Inc, Im not sure who was rapping though. Look up The Gorrilaz on Wikipedia to find this out.

Originally posted by doctormemory@Jan 13 2007, 01:15 PM
How about...

"Jack and Diane" by John Cougar Mellencamp

and...

"I Think I'm In Love" by Jessica Simpson
Songs that sample others don't count.

U2's "Angel of Harlem" always reminded me of Dylan's "Like a Rolling Stone," especially the opening riff and accompanying tambourine.

I've got a good one. It's been a while since I heard Paul McCartney's "Live and Let Die". Well, I turned on the radio and it was playing the instrumental part and I was like, "Hey, it's the music they use at the end of the Saw movies when all the final surprises come out." Then I realized what song it was. I had never thought about it before. You should go watch the movie and listen to the song. :eek:k:

Okay,

Akon's Don't Matter- the chorus sounds just like R.Kelly's Ignition remake, the

"this is the remix to ignition
hot and fresh out the kitchen
mama rollin that body
got evey man in her wishin
sippin on coke and rum
im like so what im drunk
its the freakin weekend baby
im about to have me some fun "

part.

Originally posted by Sir_Garland@Mar 23 2007, 09:50 PM
Okay,

mama rollin that body
sippin on coke and rum
im like so what im drunk

part.
Dave Chappelle's R. Kelly impression with the remix edition of the pee on you song is hilarious..

PM Dawn's - "Set Adrift On Memory Bliss" samples Spandau Ballet's - "True" and ads a hip hop/dance/r&b touch to the song.

Originally posted by farbeyond+Mar 23 2007, 10:00 PM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (farbeyond @ Mar 23 2007, 10:00 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-Sir_Garland@Mar 23 2007, 09:50 PM
Okay,

mama rollin that body
sippin on coke and rum
im like so what im drunk

part.
Dave Chappelle's R. Kelly impression with the remix edition of the pee on you song is hilarious.. [/b][/quote]
Yes, I have that on CD somewhere. haha

Kylie Minogue - Can't Get You Outta My Head

and

Belanova - Me Pregunto.

Both songs are amongst my favorite top 50 pop songs of the last 10 years. :)

Hmm, this reminds me... I've been meaning to start a thread on such a topic, with the intention that it would be a good source for getting songs you just missed out on for some reason or other. :eek:

P.S. This thread itself has already provided me with some (potentially) good songs I might have missed out on, since... If you already know one song and like it, then there is a good chance you'll like the similiar one too.

Janet Jackson - Someone To Call My Lover

and

America - Ventura Highway.

Janet's--or, Miss Jackson's if you're nasty :rolleyes:, is clearly sample (rip-off) of the 70's classic. I'm suprised they didn't sue her, when it came out in 2001. <_<

Oddly enough, shortly thereafter around 2002, America release a greatest hits album promoting it on TV, during the whee hours of the morning. They very prominently featured Ventura Highway, even though they had numerous big hits aside from it. I guess they figured they might as well ride her coat tails, since she was riding (plagerizing) theirs.

But I like both songs, nonetheless. :)

Van Hunt - Dust

and

Lenny Kravitz - Fly Away.

Although both songs put you in two entirely different moods, the underlying "patterns" are very similiar. (As you can see, I'm not a musician. :) If I didn't know any better, I'd say both songs were written by the same cat. Very cool cats indeed.

Again, both songs are amongst my favorite top 50 pop songs of the last 10 years. :p

"You Can't Say" by Holly Light (from The Watcher soundtrack) sounds just like No Doubt's "Don't Speak" in terms of vocals and especially subject matter.

When Holly sings "Say" and Gwen sings "Speak"...both sound exactly the same.

I'm seriously suprised that Gwen Stefani hasn't sued that woman.

George Thoroughgood has another song that sounds just like his signature hit, Bad to the Bone. But for the life of me, I just can't recall it. :unsure:

Originally posted by DJEiffelT@Dec 21 2006, 04:52 PM
Newer tune:
Blue October - "Into The Ocean"
CDUniverse sound sample - track 3
Older tunes:
When in Rome - "The Promise"
CDUniverse sound sample - track 1
Howard Jones - "Everlasting Love"
CDUniverse sound sample - track 13
In my mind, the Blue October song is the love child of both the When in Rome and the Howard Jones songs.

Enjoy!
There you go.

Anybody else have anything new to add?
wow, I never thought of that but its very true...

I hear a very similar bass line in "Na Na, Hey Hey Kiss Him Goodbye" (or whatever the title is :p) by Steam

and Are You Gonna Be My Girl, by Jet.

Back