Diamond is Forever "How Can I Tell You" Cat Power

Originally posted by llwilson22@Nov 15 2006, 07:08 AM
I actually emailed De Beers and believe it or not they emailed me back and confirmed that it is Cat Power is the artist and the song is How Can I Tell You. I tried to find the song on I Tunes and couldn't but apparently that's it.
llwilson22 has already answered this question! IT'S CAT POWER!!!!!!!!!!!!

Does anyone know the song that is in the new "diamonds are forever" commercial it repeats "I will love you" or something like that, also in the commercial it shows a man getting a neckless from a clock and putting it on his wife/girlfreinds neck when she is sleeping in bed. thanks

it's the newest diamonds are forever commercial....female singing....sounds like Regina Spektor?.....one line in the song:

"and I can't think of right words to say" :huh:

There has been spirited debate regarding the artist performing in this commercial. The company, DeBeers, states that it's Cat Power. It sounds like Cat Power. I'd say it's most probably her.

I'm dying to know too. It sounds more like Regina Spektor than Chan Marshall to me. But I'm like.. 80% sure it's not ReSpekt.

"How Can I Tell You" by Cat Power

Why are people still questioning whether it is or isn't Chan; i.e. Cat Power? It doesn't matter if you think it sounds more like someone else, it's still Chan. :D

I was hoping it wasn't Cat Power!! :eek: she did another song I loved for cingular that wasn't available, it was a Blondie cover. She needs to release these two songs pronto!

The song was done by Cat Stevens, a British singe songwriter in the early 70s. It is I b elieve on his Tea For The Tillerman album. Actually a very good album and very good version of the song that probably would fit todays music styles done by KT Tunstall or Jewel etc. Steven later left the music business and became a Muslim accountant under the name Yusuf Islam. He has just recently emerged and reentered the music business and is releasing a new CD. He was prohibited from entering the US a few years ago but has recently won clearance to do so.

Lani Hall did this on a solo album in the 70s after leaving Brazil 66/74 where she was a featured singer. She is married to Herb Alpert who is a jazz trumpeter who founded A & M records. For those of you not old like me you might check both artists out.

I have enjoyed learning about new artists on this site and saw a chance to spread the word on some "mature" artists. Please disregard if disinterested.

In the latest issue of Spin, Chan Marshall (aka Cat Power) reveals that she is releasing another album of covers shortly. Maybe this will be included (the first time I heard it, I was pretty sure it was her, and you awesome people have only reinforced my belief.)

Originally posted by datboyd33@Nov 16 2006, 08:57 PM
i wonder how many users.. beside me.. joined this forum jus cuz of this song? :p
I did! This is a great site btw.

Originally posted by toddels19@Nov 14 2006, 11:59 PM
I think it is Lani Hall, I just downloaded the song ad it sounds like her
Though this topic is quite settled, I have to say the Lani Hall sounds nothing like the Cat Powers version, at all- not even a little.

Originally posted by mimilamb25@Nov 21 2006, 08:33 AM
I was hoping it wasn't Cat Power!! :eek: she did another song I loved for cingular that wasn't available, it was a Blondie cover. She needs to release these two songs pronto!
The song you're talking about is Hangin on the Telephone. Blondie's version is also a cover from a band called The Nerves. IMO they do the song the best with catpower in a strong second. I'm not one to illegally download :eek: but since it hasnt been released yet you can download her cover off of limewire..its just the audio off that cingular commercial so its cut off early..im sure alot of people are waiting for her to relase that CD.. anyone know where i can actually find the whole song and any of the others??

there is this new ad where a couple is sleeping and then he gives his wife a diamond necklace..in the background there's a girl singing..i like the background song..

i m sure it's zales any idea what the song is

Okay, so in this commercial there is a couple in bed sleeping. And then the husband places a dimond pendant necklace on her neck and she wakes up and finds the necklace, but her husband fakes that he is sleeping.

It's a woman singing a soft, slow song and it almost sounds Regina Specktor-ish. Does anyone happen to know what it is? Thanks :p

does anyone know the name of or who sings the song on the commercial where the husband puts the necklace on his wife while she is sleeping and when she wakes up he pretends to be asleep. Some of the words are "I'm always thinking of you, but I can't think of the right words to say."

the song is "how can i tell you" by cat stevens no cat power. here are the lyrics so if you compare them to the link that was posted in a previous reply you can check it on.

How can I tell you that I love you... I love you
But I can't think of right words to say
and I long to tell you that I'm always thinking of you
I'm always thinking of you
but my words just blow away
just blow away

always ends up to one thing honey
and I can't think of right words to say

Wherever I am, girl, I'm always walking with you
I'm always walking with you
but I look and you're not there
whomever I'm with, I'm always, always talking to you
I'm always talking to you
and I'm sad that you can't hear
sad that you can't hear

it always ends up to one thing honey
when I look and you're not there

I need to know you
Need to feel my arms around you
Feel my arms surround you
like the sea around the shore
each night and day I pray
and hope that I might find you
and hope that I might find you
because hearts can do no more

still I kneal upon your floor

how can I tell you that I love you... I love you
but I can't think of what's right to say
I long to tell you that I'm always thinking of you
I'm always thinking of you

and I can't think of right words to say

Originally posted by afshin@Nov 29 2006, 12:16 PM
the song is "how can i tell you" by cat stevens no cat power.
According to a previous post in the thread, it's Cat Power singing the cover of the Cat Stevens song.

Back