Confangled Gadgetry

I agree with that, I hate SUV's. Well I don't hate then but the people who drive them usually don't need it and are just wasting space and gas. If you actually need one thats fine. Cars are better.

yay electric car :) not really an improvement in terms of invironment lol but hey :lol:

Electric cars are a shitload cleaner than gas engines. At least there'll be no emissions.

sure there will

just not from you but from where the electricity will be created.

also if it works on electricity that means there must be some sort of battery. when someone would get a new car those batteries will get pretty damn ugly

We're talking about the cars themselves, not the power plants which are already making the electricity.

There will be low or no emissions from the cars.

If they eventually put gas stations out of commission, there's that much electricity no longer being used right there. Plus factor in all the gas used up and emissions created by the tanker trucks that get the gas to those stations, that's gone.

Originally posted by dascoot@Aug 21 2006, 01:30 PM
We're talking about the cars themselves, not the power plants which are already making the electricity.

There will be low or no emissions from the cars.
Those things are related dont you think? More cars using electricity = more electricity that has to be created.

If they eventually put gas stations out of commission, there's that much electricity no longer being used right there. Plus factor in all the gas used up and emissions created by the tanker trucks that get the gas to those stations, that's gone.
Then what i said still applies. Of course i could be wrong here but last i knew the only things that made electricity without pollution were useless and batteries were a disaster :unsure:

Now of course i think electric cars are nice and all but im not sure if its all that much better than the current situation.

edited 7 times for spelling wtf??

Originally posted by Scythe@Aug 21 2006, 07:33 AM
Then what i said still applies.
What you said is that the cars will have zero environmental impact, and no it does not still apply to what I just said.

And Ken, for the second time we are talking about THE CARS. The CARS will not create emissions, the CARS will not consume fossil fuels. Yes they use electricity, yes the electricity is powered by fossil fuels. But it goes like this:

gas engines = oil consumption + emissions
electricity = oil consumption + emissions

^ That is what we have right now. If you take AWAY the gas engines, you have less overall emissions and less overall consumption. And since we're still talking about what the ACTUAL CARS do, and the ACTUAL CARS result in less pollution and consumption, please explain how this will in no way effect the environment.

I would imagine the battery issue would be very little if any different from the current battery situation. We're not talking about AA's that you throw out once a month, they'll be destroyed in the same manner current car batteries are.

Originally posted by dascoot+Aug 21 2006, 01:40 PM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (dascoot @ Aug 21 2006, 01:40 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-Scythe@Aug 21 2006, 07:33 AM
Then what i said still applies.
What you said is that the cars will have zero environmental impact, and no it does not still apply to what I just said.

And Ken, for the second time we are talking about THE CARS. The CARS will not create emissions, the CARS will not consume fossil fuels. Yes they use electricity, yes the electricity is powered by fossil fuels. But it goes like this:

gas engines = oil consumption + emissions
electricity = oil consumption + emissions

^ That is what we have right now. If you take AWAY the gas engines, you have less overall emissions and less overall consumption. And since we're still talking about what the ACTUAL CARS do, and the ACTUAL CARS result in less pollution and consumption, please explain how this will in no way effect the environment. [/b][/quote]
Im not saying there will be NO effect, im saying it wont be big.

Sure if you have car you wont be polluting so much yourself but the electricity you use must be created. So while you dont pollute youre causing the plants to pollute more. I dont see much difference there except a clean conscience. You're not polluting much less you're just shifting it.

Looking at the cars only and ignoring where their power comes from seems a bit unfair to me.

Again, this is just me thinking here, I could be wrong, but it seems to me were just replacing gas emissions with chemicals and nuclear waste.

Is that a fair trade? I dont know im no scientist i could be overlooking something here.

Where are chemicals and nuclear waste coming from?

Besides for all we know, shutting down every gas station and other oil-related facility will give us all the electricity we need to break even, without creating more of it. Maybe it will be MORE than enough. There are a lot of freakin gas stations out there, especially 24 hour ones that suck up tons of power.

And what's wrong with a clean conscience? It's the first step dude.

It's not fair to assume that everyone's ignoring the other issues, these are baby steps and it's unrealistic to think that electric cars will solve everything. The point is to become independent of oil, and this first step will help us reserve what little we have left until a better, cleaner, more reliable source of energy is either discovered or perfected or whatever.

I'll take the clean conscience. At least I'll know that if there has to be pollution, it will be centralized and I won't be dragging it around town with me from my tailpipe.

Originally posted by dascoot@Aug 21 2006, 01:55 PM
Where are chemicals and nuclear waste comining from?

Storage of electricity (as done by batteries) requires chemicals, which cant be reused. Nuclear power plants arent very clean but still the biggest source of electricity. Its also the cheapest way of making it. Oh, and making electricity still requires tons of oil.

Besides for all we know, shutting down every gas station and other oil-related facility will give us all the electricity we need to break even, without creating more of it. Maybe it will be MORE than enough. There are a lot of freakin gas stations out there, especially 24 hour ones that suck up tons of power.
I dont think gas stations require that much in terms of power, but im not sure of that.

And what's wrong with a clean conscience? It's the first step dude.
There's nothing wrong with it i just think its a bit of a hoax. You're not polluting but you are using something that polluted. Seems like the same to me. Besides there are many people out there that think this is the solution rather than a first step.

It's not fair to assume that everyone's ignoring the other issues, these are baby steps and it's unrealistic to think that electric cars will solve everything. The point is to become independent of oil, and this first step will help us reserve what little we have left until a better, cleaner, more reliable source of energy is either discovered or perfected or whatever.
Being independent of oil seems nice, indeed, but dont you think the same will happen with electricity, eventually?

Besides, we can never become truly independent of oil. Period. Everything uses oil in one way or another, not just cars. Even the big bad scientist boys are at a loss as to how we can live without oil.

I'll take the clean conscience. At least I'll know that if there has to be pollution, it will be centralized and I won't be dragging it around town with me from my tailpipe.
Which is also a bad thing. Centralised and concentrated pollution sounds worse to me

*sigh* Once again, the battery disposal probably won't change from current levels.

Yes, I am aware that making electricity requires oil. As I've already stated. Several times.

I don't know what the gas stations are like where you're from, but just within walking distance from my house I have probably ten huge 15+ pump stations that run 24 hours a day. The floodlights, the pumps themselves, the building.. their power bills have to be astronomical.

Just being alive creates pollution. The computer you're sitting at, the food you eat, everything will create pollution if you go back along its chain of creation far enough. That doesn't mean that we can't take steps to reduce it.

If we can keep pollution out of the places where there are people breathing and trees growing and fish swimming, I say that's a good thing.

And if you really think that we will never develop another source of energy then you haven't been paying attention in history class. Humans adapt, it's what put us at the top of the food chain. You do understand that we've only been dependent on oil for the past, what, hundred fifty years, tops, right? And we've been on earth for thousands of years. We made it this far, we'll survive.

But if you insist on being so negative that you think it's a hoax to feel good about proactively taking part in something as big and important as what equates to human evolution, then you can just go on ahead and lay tits up waiting for the universe to collapse. Meanwhile I'm goin to bed because I'm fucking sick of this.

Are you sure? Cause making fun of me woulda prolly entailed you making me look silly, when instead you made yourself look *FAB!*ulous.

Back