Ask Ravi

Originally posted by givemfitz@May 28 2006, 08:08 AM
Ok Rav..........BIG trouble in Bios City. :( I've been away. Again. Sooooooooo anyway I'm back and like a dumbass installed a password to my laptop just before I left as a just in case measure. I CAN'T REMEMBER IT!!!!!!!!!!!!! I've been everywhere on the web and there doesn't seem to be a general consensus on whether or not it can be bypassed on my particular machine. It's a dell latitude CPi A. The one thing that a few people seem to have had a bit of success with is removing the batteries from the bios and mother board. Well I've never gone spelunking in a laptop. :unsure: Not sure where those batteries are and I was hoping you could help me with that. Any help at all would be great. :blush:
:(

Are you going to be around this weekend? Me have physics questions! :leela:

Originally posted by givemfitz+Nov 24 2006, 04:32 PM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (givemfitz @ Nov 24 2006, 04:32 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-givemfitz@May 28 2006, 08:08 AM
Ok Rav..........BIG trouble in Bios City. :( I've been away. Again. Sooooooooo anyway I'm back and like a dumbass installed a password to my laptop just before I left as a just in case measure. I CAN'T REMEMBER IT!!!!!!!!!!!!! I've been everywhere on the web and there doesn't seem to be a general consensus on whether or not it can be bypassed on my particular machine. It's a dell latitude CPi A. The one thing that a few people seem to have had a bit of success with is removing the batteries from the bios and mother board. Well I've never gone spelunking in a laptop. :unsure: Not sure where those batteries are and I was hoping you could help me with that. Any help at all would be great. :blush:
:( [/b][/quote]
What OS is it? If it's Win 2000 / ME or above I have a tool which can reset the password.

98SE :( It was my very first computer and it's now a doorstop.

Originally posted by givemfitz@Nov 24 2006, 04:57 PM
98SE :( It was my very first computer and it's now a doorstop.
I will check if I have an older version of the password recovery tool. I might. Are you reachable later on by PM?

Should be but I'm not at home so ya never know. It's not a windows password btw. It's a BIOS password I think. The machine now comes on in what looks like DOS and if you don't get it right in 3 tries it shuts down.

Originally posted by givemfitz@Nov 24 2006, 05:12 PM
Should be but I'm not at home so ya never know. It's not a windows password btw. It's a BIOS password I think. The machine now comes on in what looks like DOS and if you don't get it right in 3 tries it shuts down.
Oh, OK, because I was thinking, on 98 you can hit cancel and go right in. Have you tried flashing a new BIOS?

Originally posted by cultclassic+Nov 24 2006, 02:21 PM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (cultclassic @ Nov 24 2006, 02:21 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-givemfitz@Nov 24 2006, 05:12 PM
Oh, OK, because I was thinking, on 98 you can hit cancel and go right in. Have you tried flashing a new BIOS? [/b][/quote]
flash huh? :unsure: :lol:

Originally posted by givemfitz+Nov 24 2006, 05:23 PM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (givemfitz @ Nov 24 2006, 05:23 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'>
Originally posted by cultclassic@Nov 24 2006, 02:21 PM
<!--QuoteBegin-givemfitz
@Nov 24 2006, 05:12 PM

Oh, OK, because I was thinking, on 98 you can hit cancel and go right in. Have you tried flashing a new BIOS?
flash huh? :unsure: :lol: [/b][/quote]
Oh yeah, stand before it with a long overcoat, reboot, and just when the password screen appears.... :lol:

I should have read your complete post. The battery is easy to find: It's usually a flat watch battery, about the size of a quarter or nickel, and it comes right off. Keep it off, for like 15 minutes, and the either the password will go away, or it will reset to the factory password. You can find lists of default passwords on the web.

Originally posted by cultclassic+Nov 24 2006, 02:25 PM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (cultclassic @ Nov 24 2006, 02:25 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'>
Originally posted by givemfitz@Nov 24 2006, 05:23 PM
Originally posted by cultclassic@Nov 24 2006, 02:21 PM
<!--QuoteBegin-givemfitz
@Nov 24 2006, 05:12 PM

Oh yeah, stand before it with a long overcoat, reboot, and just when the password screen appears.... [/b][/quote]
Schwiiiiiiing :lol: Yeah. Don't know what flashing a new BIOS means.

Flashing means putting a new BIOS firmware on to the BIOS chip; Motherboard manufacturers rourtinely upgrade the firmwire, some of which will wipe out passwords. It's easy to do, put the bios on a floppy and boot with it..

Try the battery thing first, see my edited post above.

Originally posted by givemfitz@Nov 24 2006, 04:23 PM
:lol: Glad I'm not the only one who thought this.

:naughty: @ Ravi

Originally posted by 4swrds@Nov 24 2006, 08:47 PM
Ravi,

Is it possible to purchase a Inland Taipan? (snake) :huh:
Yes, they're delicious.

Leoney, when do you need the answers?

It's due in exactly 24 hours. :ph34r:

I don't need the answers. I was wondering if you could just walk me through the process, what to do and what not to do. The prof should be doing this. <_<

Back