who made "play that funky music white boy..."

whitedude2020

Advanced Member
Reaction score
I heard the song on the radio, it goes like this "play that funky music white boy, play that funky music right...."

My question is: who made it and what is it called?

"Play That Funky Music" by Wild Cherry

You can hear a clip here, track 9.

Also see:

KC and the Sunshine Band
and/or
James Brown

I agree with Mr. K, on this on. KC and The Sunshine Band did it originally, and James Brown covered him and his lot. I love that band. They got some REAL greeat "choonz"

Originally posted by k11+May 5 2005, 05:53 PM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (k11 @ May 5 2005, 05:53 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'>Also see:

KC and the Sunshine Band
and/or
James Brown[/b]

<!--QuoteBegin-TheAlterEgoze
@May 5 2005, 05:55 PM
I agree with Mr. K, on this on. KC and The Sunshine Band did it originally, and James Brown covered him and his lot. I love that band. They got some REAL greeat "choonz"[/quote]

I'll give you guys props for the effort...B)
But leone is right.

Wild Cherry is the originator of this song. It was their one hit wonder. KC & The Sunshine band actually never covered or performed this song. I'm pretty sure the same thing can be said about James Brown. A long time ago, some clueless kid on a file sharing network, slapped the names "KC & The Sunshine Band" and "James Brown" onto the Wild Cherry track because they thought that's who it sounded like. The names stuck, and now it's spread over the net. I'll bet that if you listen to "all three versions" of this song, they will be the same.

However, a group called Ten Masked Men, and another group called Thunder did cover this song. Vanilla Ice also loosely sampled/covered this tune. ;)

dun.. dun.. dun.. dun.. dunit
dun-dun dun dunit

Micheal Jackson - "Bad" Reminds me of the Ghostbusters song. "Who ya gonna call, ghost busters" *dances* :smurf:

Back