Target 2 Day Sale

Never mind, saw the answer on the you tube page! Jeez I am a dummy!

Yeah, it looks likt it was also posted to promote their online game as well.

Hi: I think I can safely say I became obsessed with finding out the artist/song used in this Target promotion. After finding the Target ad on YouTube, I went off in search of the Go! Team song "We Just Won't be Defeated"...here's the rub: if you listen to the YouTube Target commercial credited to Go!Team, and compare it to an actual recording of Go! Team doing the song (also on YouTube) you suddenly realize they are not the same performer, or something has been enhanced or modified somehow.

The Target version has an almost juvenile feel to the voices, at best I would compare it to high school cheeerleaders...it even seems to begin with a cheer. The actual Go! Team version is entirely different, in how it begins, and in the quality of the voices.

I suspect the Go! Team's song is being sampled, what we are hearing in the Target ad is not the Go! Team, but someone or something else.

And having obsessed this long, would someone please tell me who or what is singing the Target version, and rescue me from the dark place??

namaste
andreaf

ps - just as side note, I am almost sure that on "We Just Won't be Defeated", the Go! Team is sampling the music of "Tighter and Tighter" by Alive & Kicking. Either that or I have listened to this song waaaaaaaaaay too many times.

:p

That is definitely the same version of the song in the ad that's on the re-mastered version of the ''Thunder, Lightning, Strike'' album. (In fact, when I first heard this ad, it threw me for a loop precisely ''because'' it starts out just like the album version!)

If what you were listening to was a live performance, the issue is that The Go! Team use sampling on their album, but re-create the samples live. And naturally, the band members don't sound anything like the high-school cheerleaders who were sampled on the album. :)

I do remember that The Go! Team had licensing issues with samples they used, hence the "re-mastered" version of the album is slightly different. Have no idea if this is relevant to the version used in the Target ad, however.

Not relevant in this case. "We Just Won't Be Defeated" wasn't even on the original UK version of the album; it was added specifically as a bonus track on the remastered version (and, in this case, with all samples cleared from the beginning).

thanks - I actually have been comparing it to two versions; the first was the YouTube offering, which was obviously a live performance and therefore clearly not the same, but the second was an mp3 file sent to me by a friend. It is a studio version (not a studio recording of a live performance I mean), and it is absent the "cheerleading" sampling and the "cheer" at the beginning of the song. The vocals are more mature and it seems to be a more "straight on" version of the song. As for the source, let's just say, if you knew my friend, it is better not to ask.

If I am understanding all of this correctly, I must seek a copy of the aforementioned remastered LP with the bonus track specified to get the actual version used in the Target ad.

And yes, I am just crazed enough to continue on this path.
Therapy may be indicated.

namaste
andreaf

just for the record, there are several versions of this song by The Go! Team on YouTube. This is the full length version of the one used in the Target ad. There is no video to it, just a still of the band but the song is complete.

The Go! Team - We Just Won't be Defeated

namaste
B)

Back