Sixteen Candles

Reaction score
WHAT WAS THE SONG ON THE RADIO WHEN THE GIRL WAS SITTING IN CLASS FILLING OUT THAT SEX SURVEY?

SOMETHING LIKE
HAPPY HAPPY BIRTHDAY..........
I THINK ITS IN THE SWEET 16 TV SHOW COMERCIAL.

I've been in search of the song played in the scene where Sam approaches Jake at the Coat check but shes too nervous so she just walks away.

The songs pretty up beat, and theres lot of 'ooh ah' ing..lol

This song is not on the original soundtrack unfortunately. So far, I've found these clues from various websites etc:

Robert Plant?
Lyrics:
"How could you walk out the door on me?
I thought you were mine- And mine for keeps
Now I see I was very wrong."

and possibly,

"Ring Me Up"
Written and Performed by The DiVinyls

can anyone confirm anything?

I cant seem to find a single place online where I can listen to the song by the divinyles.

so any help there would be much appreciated too.

thanks guys :rolleyes:

Well the song ring me up does have a lot of "oh ah's" in it, but i don't know if thats the one your looking for.

Thanks, :)

I think Im just gonna have to purchase the album featuring Ring Me Up since it doesnt seem to be on cd unfortunately..

Thanks for your help, :)

Confirmed by IMDb here, the DiVinyls song is listed on the soundtrack and the Robert Plant song is not. Hope that helps.

Does anyone know who sang the song in the scene where Sam & Randi were first coming into the gym @ the dance? supposedly it's uncredited (as far as the OST) but I'm not positive about that since I haven't been able to listen to any track listings for some of the songs I'm not familiar with. The song title would also be appreciated.

thanks

Originally posted by stella101@Feb 7 2006, 12:44 PM
I've been in search of the song played in the scene where Sam approaches Jake at the Coat check but shes too nervous so she just walks away.

The songs pretty up beat, and theres lot of 'ooh ah' ing..lol

This song is not on the original soundtrack unfortunately. So far, I've found these clues from various websites etc:

Robert Plant?
Lyrics:
"How could you walk out the door on me?
I thought you were mine- And mine for keeps
Now I see I was very wrong."

and possibly,

"Ring Me Up"
Written and Performed by The DiVinyls

can anyone confirm anything?

I cant seem to find a single place online where I can listen to the song by the divinyles.

so any help there would be much appreciated too.

thanks guys :rolleyes:
I know the song you are talking about, I've been searching and searching for who sings this. It isn't robert Plant I know, or any female singing. It sort of sounds like elvis Costello but it isn't. I'll keep searching tho.

it isn't the Divinyls either. It sound like a group of guys in the biginng going: Ooh Hah, Ooh hah, and this this guy starts singing.

The song is "Take a Chance" by The Divinyls.

I've been trying to find out what it was since I first saw the movie. Funny thing is that the soundtrack lists the VHS song as "Ring Me Up" by the DiVinyls, the DVD has another, but when it's on cable it's "Take a Chance" by The Divinyls.

It starts out with the heavy guitar followed by the "ooh ah" that we all seem to remember.

Found it on iTunes.

Enjoy!!!

I just listened to a sample of the song "take a chance" by the Divinyls. That isn't it.

The TV version has the song on it that we're talking about. Its a guy singing. The dvd and the VHS versions have totally different songs on them.

I too have been trying to track down the song that is playing when Samantha approaches Jake at the coat check. I listened to the song "Take a Chance" on iTunes as previously posted and I found that the lyrics match the song that is playing in the movie, but it is not the same singer. Maybe Divinyls is not the original singer/writer of the song?

Also I've found some confusing things on the web regarding the song "Ring Me Up" and "Take a Chance." When I look up the lyrics for "Take a Chance," they are completely different lyrics than the lyrics I hear when I play the sample on iTunes and Yahoo Music. The same goes for the lyrics of "Ring Me Up." The lyrics I found for that song match the song that is featured in the movie, but when you listen to music samples found on iTunes and Yahoo Music, it's a totally different song. That is why there is some confusion regarding the Divinyls song credit for the movie.

Anyways, I just watched the movie and was listening carefully to the song as it plays during the scene and I distinctly heard (after all the oo's and aah's), "Yooooouu are my desire," then something I couldn't understand and then, "Know you're out there, know you've got a heart..." But again as I said before, these lyrics match the Divinyls "Ring Me Up" song, but the singers don't match.

I wish we could find out if they originally wrote the song or maybe someone covered the song????

the song I'm speaking of is a guy sings and the words start with " I want to love her......." and guys in the background go "hoo hah". Definetley the words "Love Her" are in it. It's only in the Television version, not the dvd, or VHS.

In the original 1984 version, there's an instrumental rock song that plays over the opening credits. In the DVD and the version edited for TV, it's a completely different song. I'm looking for the original. Not listed in the soundtrack credits on imdb, and was never released on the soundtrack itself. Can't seem to find the artist/title. Anyone who knows is a hero.

I think it's the instrumental "Kajagoogoo" by the band of the same name -- Kajagoogoo. (Same band that had that 80s hit "Too Shy".)

If you want the correct song from that scene - in iTunes it's under Take a Chance by the Divinyls - yet technically it IS the song Ring Me Up.
I did tons of research on this and dl'd Take a Chance - and it's the right song!
You'd think it was a guy singing if you didn't hear the whole song - Christina Amphlett has a deep voice.

It is Robert Plant... this movie has many different soundtracks. The song was never released. There are 3 different songs played @ this point in the film according to whether it is the Tv version,cable version,or VHS version.....

I've been looking for this song forever too! I finally found it! If you go to Google and enter "ring me up" by the Divinyls, it will pull up a full version of the song. It is the very first link you will see. I have copied and pasted the link for you down below. Once you hear the whole entire song, you will hear the very beginning that everyone is referring to. Thanks! Enjoy!

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&...inyls&btnG=Search&aq=f&aqi=&aql=&oq=&gs_rfai=

Back