Nightly Business Report 1980s

OtherLeadingBrand

Reaction score
Is anyone familiar with the music used during the stock market quotes, on The Nightly Business Report on PBS? This would have been circa 1980.

About 2/3rds of the way through the show, they would break for several screens of nothing but stock, bond, and perhaps commodity prices. The soundtrack was a fast-paced, upbeat orchestral piece akin to classical music. Featured brass and woodwind, with strings making an appearance during a bridge. The bridge was punctuated by two sharp xylophone riffs before returning to the main melody.

This Nightly Business Report episode from 1982 stock break segment doesn't sound orchestral, do you think this music appeared before or after 1982?

Either way, the music was likely created just for the program.

Well, that's definitely the stock break segment I was thinking of. But the music is not the same, though the basic repeater is somewhat similar to the brass notes in the piece I remember. The timeframe was a year or two earlier.

Is there a preferred method in this group for sharing a recording of humming/vocalizing a tune, or a homegrown MIDI arrangement?

Is there a preferred method in this group for sharing a recording of humming/vocalizing a tune, or a homegrown MIDI arrangement?

You are welcome to share a recording, midi, etc. of the song you are looking for. There are many sites that will let you do that. There are also sites that will try to identify the song for you based on humming, etc:

You could also try to search YouTube, Google, etc. more thoroughly than I did to find an full episode of Nightly Business Report that has the music you are looking for. I do think the song will be something composed just for that show, but you never know.

Back