Kind of a reverse question...

Mastur B

Reaction score
I have the song, it's "At Last" by Ella Fitzgerald.

Is there a site where I can find out what movies it's been used in?

I can't remember but I saw it in a movie, and it was used when this one character finally found/caught something they'd been looking for and I heard this song. I know it's kind of broad but I've been trying to think of this forever. At first I was thinking about Lord of the Rings when Smegal finally gets the ring for a short time but then I ruled that out.

Hi Mastur B,

I know it's been used in the film 'Rain Man' with Tom Cruise and Dustin Hoffman. It's even on the original motion picture soundtrack. However, the version on the cd is perfromed by Etta James, and not Ella F.

Anyhow, whether this is the film you're looking for or not, hopefully I've narrowed the choices down at least.

For sure, Etta James is the artist you're looking for. ;)

Besides Rain Man, it's also been used in: Father Of The Bride 2, Living Out Loud, Kissing A Fool, How To Make An American Quilt, and one of my favorites, Pleasantville.

Originally posted by ad-rock@May 27 2005, 04:21 AM
Hey ad-rock, was it Etta James who sung the orginal? Or was it Ella Fitzgerald?

Originally posted by CJ.@May 27 2005, 10:48 AM
Hey ad-rock, was it Etta James who sung the orginal? Or was it Ella Fitzgerald?
Actually, it looks like the Glenn Miller Orchestra did it originally.

Etta James has the "hit" version recorded in 1961. It's still her most successful song. It looks like Ella Fitzgerald did perform the song too, but not until 1983...way after her heyday, so to speak.

I got some more info relating to the Etta James version from www.songfacts.com. See below...

The songwriting team of Mack Gordon and Harry Warren wrote 'At Last' in 1942 for Glenn Miller and his orchestra. Gordon and Warren composed other hits together as well, and many of their songs were for musical motion pictures. Before teaming up, they were successful composers on their own and wrote numerous other songs with other partners. Gordon wrote the lyrics and Warren wrote the music.
Etta James recorded 'At Last' in 1961 shortly after signing with Chess records. Leonard Chess thought Etta was a classy ballad singer and saw pop crossover potential in her. It was his decision to back her with violin orchestrations for the song. It went to #2 on the R&B charts.

Originally posted by ad-rock@May 27 2005, 04:21 AM

Besides Rain Man, it's also been used in: Father Of The Bride 2, Living Out Loud, Kissing A Fool, How To Make An American Quilt, and one of my favorites, Pleasantville.
Hmmm, that's not any of the movies.

Maybe it's a mob movie I'm thinking of...

I've seen too many movies in my short life, and it's hard to think back over all of them.

I know it was featured toward the end of the forgettable Michael J. Fox vehicle "Doc Hollywood".

Originally posted by waindog@Jun 2 2005, 12:40 PM
I know it was featured toward the end of the forgettable Michael J. Fox vehicle "Doc Hollywood".
Heeyyy... I kinda liked that movie.

Originally posted by CJ.+Jun 3 2005, 08:36 AM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (CJ. @ Jun 3 2005, 08:36 AM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'><!--QuoteBegin-waindog@Jun 2 2005, 12:40 PM
Heeyyy... I kinda liked that movie.[/b][/quote]
Nobody said they didn't enjoy "Doc Hollywood". Just that it may lend itself to being forgotten about, thus necessitating a reverse song/soundtrack search on a web forum.

That song was also in the following movies as well....American Pie, L.A. Confidential, The Other Sister, See Spot Run, The Tuxedo.

But I'm not sure who the performed the song in each movie.

Back