Guinness

flarefox

Reaction score
It's got a guy in the background singing about the Rhythm of Life. I did a search on allofmp3.com and listened to all of the songs that had rhythm of life in their title, but none were like that. Here is a link to a web page with it on there:

http://www.boardsmag.com/screeningroom/com...mmercials/1959/

And I just found the song and where it is from if anyone is interested. It is from the musical "Sweet Charity." The song title is called "Rhythm of Life" and is sung in that commercial by Sammy Davis (I'm not sure if it's Sammy Davis Jr. or his father since all it doesn't have a Jr. on the end in the source I found). If I'm wrong let me know or if the song in there is a remix and you know who did the remix. Thanks!

As it turns out, the voice is a bit different and there are fewer in the original song, so that's either a cover or some remix or something. It's a good one, too. Can anyone tell me who did it?

It's "The Rhythm of Life" from the 1969 film version of "Sweet Charity" starring Shirley McLaine and Sammy Davis Jr. You'll find the soundtrack on Amazon, but the preview clip plays the wrong section for you to hear the match. You'll need to get the whole song to hear it.

Yes, it's been heavily edited for the commercial, but listen to the opening orchestral introduction and later when Sammy lets out on "Flip your wings and fly to daddy, take a dive and swim to daddy, hit the floor and crawl to daddy" and you'll hear its a perfect match.

Aside from editing out sections to compress it into a more quick, upbeat version, the song sounds like it was also mixed with effects to match the visuals in the commerical, adding echo and texture to match the experiences of the men in caves and frozen in ice.

This song is screaming for a remix, a la Propellerheads or Gotan Project.

There's some incredible background on the thinking behind the Guinness commercial itself here:

http://www.framestore-cfc.com/press/05pr/0...51003noitulove/

Personally when I saw it for the first time I took it that by drinking beer the men were de-evolving as a result (hence the mudskipper burping) and wondered as they wasn't a terribly flattering message for Guinness.

Obviously it was meant to go the other way.

Originally posted by Mindslinger@Oct 10 2005, 09:02 AM
the preview clip plays the wrong section for you to hear the match. You'll need to get the whole song to hear it.

Yes, it's been heavily edited for the commercial, but listen to the opening orchestral introduction and later when Sammy lets out on "Flip your wings and fly to daddy, take a dive and swim to daddy, hit the floor and crawl to daddy" and you'll hear its a perfect match.

There's some incredible background on the thinking behind the Guinness commercial itself here:

http://www.framestore-cfc.com/press/05pr/0...51003noitulove/

Personally when I saw it for the first time I took it that by drinking beer the men were de-evolving as a result (hence the mudskipper burping) and wondered as they wasn't a terribly flattering message for Guinness.

Obviously it was meant to go the other way.
1. Are you sure the vocals are a match? I'm thinking of buying the soundtrack but ONLY if what I hear will mimic the commercial close to 100%. You mention the additional effects added e.g. echos in the ice chamber. These are trivial to me, but I must say when I heard the clip on Amazon it sounded completely revamped for the commercial: different voices, background instruement, tone, beat, etc. I'll admit I'm a bit skeptical.

2. Darn right it's an ingenius commercial. Unfortunately, I bet the average Joe will miscontrue it's clever "Good things come to those who wait" meaning and possibly interpret it as you initially did, or maybe he won't even get that far. It's funny how something like this would NEVER show in the States. Framestore has a bunch of brilliant commercials that would never fly over here.

It is very close, but I also think they did something to the voice. If that is the same guy in the commercial, his voice has been remastered and altered slightly. It is extremely close, but I do wish they would release a full version of this remix song they made of it. That would be great. The full song is different.

Yes I'm sure that the film soundtrack version with Sammy Davis Jr. is the original source.

I've listened to the commercial online repeatedly and can tell you it's a match.

Here's what's been changed.

Instumental Beginning - Dead match.

Edit out:
"Daddy started out" section about spreading religion "pigeons waiting to be hooked on new religion"

add rewind effect to instrumental then skip to:

"And the rythm of life is a powerful beat... (note opening "and" removed)

add spatial effects for outdoors, inside ice cave, etc.

note when Sammy lowers his voice for "is a powerful beat" - Dead match.

Edit out - "Daddy go" chorus and following section on visiting various towns. Edit following chorus and slow "flip your wings and fly to daddy"

Edit out the Skee-ba-doobie-do, split it split it

skip to reprise of "rythm of life" where it gets uplifting.

Add in meteor effects, etc.

Edit out following chorus of Rythm of life.

Edit out section where Sammy starts to really belt it out.

Add rewind effect.

Skip to where Sammy begins to build quietly "flip your wings and fly to Daddy" up and up to where he really belts it -

"Hit the floor and crawl to daddy!" - Dead match

Let Sammy and the chorus chant out the end rythm of life, of life, of life

then stop it on the first pause

Edit out the gospel "Yeah, let me here it! Sock it to me" back and forth between Sammy and chorus.

Insert Mudskipper burb

Edit in a choral ending.

Done.

Vocals may have been brought forth and background instrumentals toned down in sections to bring out the sound effects and help focus the lyrics...

If you listen to the parts I've labelled as "dead match" you'll see it couldn't be another version.

And I don't think there's some kind of commercial remix out there waiting to be found.

well i downloaded the clip but when i skip to the part that appears in the commercial i can see a whole chorus of people singing instead of just sammy davis. Can anyone tell me where i can find the clip with just him singing?
:(

Back