what the heck is this song

It's the theme song used in "Requiem For A Dream". It's called "Lux Aeterna". It's a popular classical/operatic song, but the version you want is the one used in the movie.

It's actually a fully orchestrated re-recording of Mansell's "Lux Aeterna" that was created for the trailer to The Lord of the Rings: The Two Towers, and it's called "Requiem for a Tower".

And what the heck was that supposed to be? :blink:

Originally posted by thesassycynic@Dec 8 2006, 09:07 AM
Either way, I was still right. :annoyed:
Don't get your knickers in a twist. I was simply letting nightwing know the correct version to look for. Several people have downloaded the recording from the Requiem for a Dream soundtrack, only to realize that it was not the version they wanted. The original soundtrack recording is more minimalist, being performed by Mansell and the Kronos Quartet, while "Requiem for a Tower" is performed by a choir and full orchestra.

Besides, if I were really trying to piss you off I would've pointed out how "Lux Aeterna" is not "a popular classical/operatic song." ;)

Originally posted by capnmunch@Dec 11 2006, 11:09 AM
Besides, if I were really trying to piss you off I would've pointed out how "Lux Aeterna" is not "a popular classical/operatic song." ;)
If it were not popular, how come you were pointing out to him the "right" version? Obviously, there are other versions used on other shows and movies. Sounds pretty popular to me.

Originally posted by thesassycynic+Dec 11 2006, 08:16 AM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (thesassycynic @ Dec 11 2006, 08:16 AM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'><!--QuoteBegin-capnmunch@Dec 11 2006, 11:09 AM
If it were not popular, how come you were pointing out to him the "right" version? Obviously, there are other versions used on other shows and movies. Sounds pretty popular to me.[/b][/quote]
Oh, sassy; why must we always argue? :D

Well, if you must know, there are several works that use title "Lux Aeterna," but they are entirely different compositions, not different versions of the same work.

Traditionally, "Lux Aeterna" is part of the liturgy in the Requiem Mass of the Latin Rite, specifically the Communio. The most popular musical works that use the title "Lux Aeterna" come from compostions written as settings for the Requiem Mass—Mozart and Verdi's Requiems being the most famous.

But there are also secular works, as in this instance, that use the title. I was merely pointing out the rendition of Mansell's "Lux Aeterna" that was used in the clip, the title of which is "Requiem for a Tower." But, other than the name, Mansell's compostion has nothing in common with any other work that uses the title "Lux Aeterna."

Can we make peace now? :peace:

:peace: :peace:

Originally posted by capnmunch@Dec 12 2006, 07:29 PM
Oh, sassy; why must we always argue? :D

Well, if you must know, there are several works that use title "Lux Aeterna," but they are entirely different compositions, not different versions of the same work.

Traditionally, "Lux Aeterna" is part of the liturgy in the Requiem Mass of the Latin Rite, specifically the Communio. The most popular musical works that use the title "Lux Aeterna" come from compostions written as settings for the Requiem Mass—Mozart and Verdi's Requiems being the most famous.

But there are also secular works, as in this instance, that use the title. I was merely pointing out the rendition of Mansell's "Lux Aeterna" that was used in the clip, the title of which is "Requiem for a Tower." But, other than the name, Mansell's compostion has nothing in common with any other work that uses the title "Lux Aeterna."

Can we make peace now? :peace:

:peace: :peace:
No one likes a smartass. I always try to impart that on my students (without actually saying smartass). :eek:k:

Originally posted by thesassycynic@Dec 12 2006, 08:58 PM
No one likes a smartass. I always try to impart that on my students (without actually saying smartass). :eek:k:
How was I being a smartass? I would very much like to make the peace. Is VERY NICE! :D

So what word do you use with your students, teach?

Well, I usually start to say, "Don't be a smart-" and I finish it with "smartie" instead of "smartass". It's hard being only 21 and trying to not talk to the kids like I would someone my age. The youngest ones I teach are 6. It's rough. :eek:ut:

I just really wanted to add that smilie because it's new....

Back