What are your favorite Video Game Soundtracks?

okay so im looking at this Tekken soundtrack is it worth buying... its been at the used cd palce for about a week, its got a BRAND NEW sticker price however any comments??Advice

Metal Gear Solid 1 - 3 and GTA VC both really good
(MGS 1-3 are all amazing games)

Originally posted by luvaddict@Apr 11 2005, 02:25 PM
:ph34r: I WILL KILL ALL WHO LIKED HALO!!! im sorry, i just dislike x-box, severely. anywho, id have to go and say, best music of all time on a video game is freekin SC2 (soul calibur 2) gotta luv maze of the blade **sings** duh duh duh duh dee duh dee dum...
So, you are a PS2 fanboy?

Thats terrible, XBOX's are pretty cool, especially when modded and I'm not a XBOX fanboy. I own all three consoles and have a decent gaming pc and I enjoy all of them.

Plus Halo 1 is one of the best games ever imho. Halo 2 licks nuts.

Hi ho,

okay, I recommand you to the following scores:

- Baldur's Gate (I,II + add-on) *hehehe*
=> That's a brilliant orchestral score, with live percussion performance (~ 30 membranophones altogether) and real brass recordings and a perfect synth-orchestra (sounds really authentic). There are many theme developments, of course with some kind of "musical complexity" (no standart string-triad-wailings á la Jeremy Soule).
The main motif (2nd, 2nd major 3th upward, then a 3th back and two 2nds down) is almost used in every cue, but in such an interesting and artistic way that it is a real pleasure to recognize it in each track.

- Ultima IX (and of course the extracts of U. X)
=> That score is the live recording of a 40-piece essemble with many strings, string-like instruments and mediavel flutes, called a "sweetening orchestra".
The soundtrack contains plenty of wonderfully composed themes for each location (mainly mediavel towns, castles and dark dungeons) the Avatar - the main character of the game's story - has to visit. Of course there are also some fighting cues and short suites for the game interrupting video seuqueces.
Two main/franchise themes dominate the whole score: The heroic Fellowship theme (for the Avatar's kindreds) and the dark, chant-like Guardian motif, which represants the absolutely evil antagonist of the Avatar.
The soundtrack itself is about 75 mintues long, the average length of each track amounts to 2-3 mintues.

The 6 tracks of Ultima X are good as well, because they're performed by the big Northwest Symphony and contain a little of the matierial of U. IX.

- Diablo II: Lord of Destruction (add-on)
=> that's a really nice performance of the popular (mostly metal) Diablo themes by the City of Prague Symphony Orchestra.
Not very long (only 5 tracks of 5-8 mintues), but quite interesting and - sonmehow - very moving.

- Jurassic Park - The Lost World
=> I don't know if you have this already. If not: JUST GET IT NOW!! *g* That's Giacchono's first live orchestra score. There very adventurous themes and cues in good and variative developments. The performance is perfect, because of the great Seatlle Philharmocis.

- Heroes of Might and Magic II
=> An epic fantasy score, such as Merlin or Willow, but more coherant and homegeneous (not so many emotional changes). The orchestra sounds very good but is sampled by big synthesizers. The opera-like voice performances (mostly tenor and sopran) are of course live recorded. ;-)

- Myst II: Riven
=> Not really an orchtral score, but still worth a listering!
It provides you with a dark, epic atmosphere that never really gets loud, so it also carries a bit of an ambient (almost new age) flavor to it. Perfect not just to go with the game (I have to assume, since I am not a Myst gamer myself), but to work, read or write. It's mellow, but it doesn't sound common or simple. It is one of those albums you wish you could get more of, so I end up playing it once and again and again in my stereo... ^^

- Super Smash Brothers
=> That's an orchestral suite containing 15 well arranged medleys of the most beautiful Nitendo gamemusic themes (the Super Mario Theme, or the Zelda Ouverture for instance).
The whole work is performed by the Tokyo Philahormonics in a perfect sound quiality. Although it's a live concert recording, there're no end clapping, ovation or other noises.
I have cut them away (thanks Audacity 1.5). All!!! ;-)

-Warcraft III
=> Not as good as World of Wacraft, WC III has a very pleasing soundtrack, with epic-dramatic themes, as well as some very calm and beautiful cues. The "Cinematic Suite", a cut-together of the orchestral video sequences, is definitively the best!

- and - last but not least - WORLD OF WARCRAFT
=> That's a fantasic instrumental soundtracks. Most of the pieces, particularly the one of the main locations, are orchestral live recordings. The tracks are very long (average ~ 6-8 minutes) and all in all the scores measures almost 80 mintues.

------
Hope I've convinced you of geniality of these game osts! ;-)
Please excuse my poor use of language. That's of course the guild of our poor German education system!!! ^^
------

Greetings from Cologne

Dustin Naegel

Definitly either battlefield vietnam or battlefield 2 modern combat for xbox. Forza motorsport for xbox also has a nice collection of remakes of real songs turned just into instrumentals. I agree with some of the earlier posts about the rainbow six series, pretty well put together musical pieces.

Two words and a number. Star Control 2. The game was the first in my memory to incorporate a purely digital soundtrack (the old MOD file format). It was years ahead of it's time.

Originally posted by BillLumberg@Nov 16 2005, 01:11 AM
Two words and a number. Star Control 2. The game was the first in my memory to incorporate a purely digital soundtrack (the old MOD file format). It was years ahead of it's time.
:p Love the username. :lol:

Originally posted by Sir_Garland@Nov 16 2005, 01:15 PM
:p Love the username. :lol:
Yeah, Peter...We're gonna need you to come in on Sunday as well....gonna play a little catch-up.

Well, since Final Fantasy is waaaaaay overdone in this thread I don't even need to mention it

4. Quake 2 (Trent Reznor can really rock a game)
3. Katamari Daimacy (Strange but addicting)
2. SSX 3 (killer list of awesome stuff!)
1. The entire Silent Hill series (yes I know It makes me very strange)

you never played that game? had a random insult generator and everything

Jade Empire has my vote, especially the main theme.

Also The Bard's Tale has a collection of the funniest songs I ever heard in a game, although the game itself was disappointing.

A few others not already mentioned (but should):

MDK
Fable (Danny Elfman's Intro is one of my favourite tracks ever).
Black & White 1 & 2

BBB

Back