Universal Studios "Surrender"

Originally posted by Schuyler@Mar 2 2004, 01:24 AM
As the question seems to be answered mind if I go off-topic? Anyone seen $1M hotel? I think that was the name. Anyway, really weird, but quite good, produced by Bono. That's how it connects. Um, someone famous played the detective, but I can't remember...
I've neither seen nor heard of it. What is it :what:

Never seen it, sad to say, because I all but worship Bono, but I've heard wonderful things about it. Wasn't Milla Jovovich in that? I love her too..

Who is the artist in the new 2004 Universal Commercial (scenes include a man and a boy ripping shirts off in front of a Hulk ride, Popeye walking through the lobby, Frankenstein in a hot tub with two girls).

I know the song is Surrender, originally done by Cheap Trick (first band I ever saw in concert in the late 1970s), but who is doing the song in the commercial?

Thanks for your help.

It's the original Cheap Trick version. The song's sound is slightly tweaked/modulated in the ad, but it's still the Cheap Trick version. (I recognize Robin Zander's voice very clearly.)

The commercial is for Universal Orlando's "Marvel Superhero Theme Park". There's a father and son ripping off their shirts like the Hulk in front of a rollercoaster, there's a fat lady on the back of an ATV with Captain America driving it, waving her arms wildly. Lots of confetti. The slogan for the commerical is "Vacation from the ordinary".

Just an FYI, yes I used the search feature. No the track is not Cheap Trick's "Surrender". It may have the same lyrics but the musical score for the commerical, no matter how modulated or tweaked, could not be changed THAT much. It sounds more reminiscient of the Beatles or a modern rock and roll. If indeed Cheap Trick did this song originally, Universal chartered a band to remake the song for the commerical. Your thoughts?

If you're certain this is not Cheap Trick, then why don't you go on a quest to find the true answer; because as far as everyone here is concerned, it is indeed Cheap Trick.

Originally posted by The Lost Boy@Mar 30 2004, 09:45 AM
If you're certain this is not Cheap Trick, then why don't you go on a quest to find the true answer; because as far as everyone here is concerned, it is indeed Cheap Trick.
It's obvious by such remarks that this place is no place to look for advice. Thanks for the "help" but I think I'll just look elsewhere where there are more knowledgable people that don't spam "Use Search" and post stupid replies such as yours.

Thanks. Goodbye.

The answer is right in front of your face, man. If you don't believe it, that's your problem. Obviously you are the one that is not knowledgable, since you can not come to terms with the fact that Cheap Trick did the song. Stop being a jerkass.

Originally posted by brainboy17@Mar 30 2004, 08:04 AM
No the track is not Cheap Trick's "Surrender". It may have the same lyrics but the musical score for the commerical, no matter how modulated or tweaked, could not be changed THAT much. It sounds more reminiscient of the Beatles or a modern rock and roll. If indeed Cheap Trick did this song originally, Universal chartered a band to remake the song for the commerical. Your thoughts?
The song is indeed "Surrender", regardless of who may be singing it. The music (remixed, remodulated, remade, whatever) and the lyrics are the Cheap Trick song. So that much we can (?) all agree on.

The other issue is whether it's actually Cheap Trick performing the song or a new recording. As I mentioned before, I say it's the original track (with Robin Zander's vocals) that's been remixed for the commercial. (The song has been passed through a few simple "flange" filters, producing the modulated sound, if you ask me.)

Some agree with me, others (like yourself) don't. If you find out any more information on the track, please feel free to let us know.

You can find more discussions (and disagreements) about the use of "Surrender" in the Universal Studios commercial at the Cheap Trick Official Site Message Forum.

Also, please don't repost previous topics in new threads. That's why people see replies with "Use Search" and the like.

Hope this helps. Good luck with your search.

Alright guys, its that Universal Orlando commercial, that starts out with Frankenstein buying those two ladies a drink. The song is "Surrender" but it is re-did, does anyone know who re-did the song? Thanks.

The song on the orlando commercial is still "Surrender"by Cheap Trick. Just a remix for the commercial is all I think. Its from the same basic tracks.

I think that i am thinking of another commercial, because Cheap Trick song is not featured in the one that i am looking for. Thanks anyway.

i was wondering if anyone can remember the commercial for disneyworld that was out about 9 months ago? all i remember was the big woman at the end that was shaking her boobs and then hugging her kids. anyways my friend has been bugging everyone and their mother about the song in the background. does anyone remember what it is or how it goes?

Back