The Boondocks

gatorybaby0669

Reaction score
What is the end song of the Boondocks? the one that last like 2 seconds and it had a ton of Bass.

On tonight's Episode 15, there is a song played towards the end (I believe when Riley and the Art Teacher are in the car) that includes a famous horn loop that has been used in at least one classic hip-hop/rap song. As I'm not the biggest hip-hop/rap fan, I don't know what the song is, but the loop is addictive and I've been trying to figure it out for years. I'm sure it is originally from a jazz song, but if anyone can identify it (I know this is a stretch) and tell me any song that contains it, I'd appreciate it.

I'm afraid I can't help with the loop, but the lyrics are from the song "Today" by Jefferson Airplane and this is definitely not that recording. So far I have only located one cover by Translator but no samples to check it out....

New lead: checking on a version by Tom Scott.... which makes sense but I can't locate a sample for that one either. I also found this at the ASMB posted by Katrah-Quey:

"The Tom Scott song "Today" that was played in the episode, was sampled for the song "They Reminisce Over You (T.R.O.Y.)" by Pete Rock and C.L. Smooth."

Numy! Nice Work! That's it. I know its been used in more than one song, but T.R.O.Y. definately features it. I owe you one. THX!!!

You're welcome! I did finally track down a recording of it, it's been around for nearly 40 years now - it was released the same year as the original - there's been plenty of time to borrow from it!

Are you talking about the one that was played at the very beginning of the movie with the opening credits?

no im not talking about the opening credits, and thanks for looking for that song, but it's not quite it. It's actually a bit jazzier...

Originally posted by bigball12@Mar 13 2006, 03:36 PM
Pete rock and C.L smooth - T.R.O.Y

Enjoy!
The sax track in T.R.O.Y. was sampled from the song "Today" as performed by Tom Scott and the California Dreamers from the album 'Honeysuckle Breeze' - and "Today" was the song played while Riley and his art teacher were running from the police. I haven't heard it anywhere else in the series.

its not in only one episode... ill try to find it... and record it for you...

What's the name and artist of the song that played while Ruckus was preaching and Hewey was about to pray. It sounded a little like India.Arie but it's not on her album.

I wish I knew - it's created a quite a buzz around the internet - here are some lyrics as best I and another poster could hear - if it helps anyone (and yes I've searched them to death) :ph34r: Somebody else thought it sounded like Norah Jones - to me it has the feel of an old Carole King song, (yes, my age is showing again :p )not so much her voice as the mellow acoustic sound - primarily guitar with bass and very subtle percussion. Some strings join in on the chorus.

On the road again

Just try to believe

Shouldn't let yourself go deeper in distress

..Happiness..

If you're crying too much you're gonna lose...

Don't cry over happiness

I believe in...

Just let the world go round and round and round
Just let the world go round and round and round

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

(Hook)

Boy don't cry over happiness,

If your crying too much you're gonna lose the fight

Boy don't cry over happiness,

Say I believe in it,

I believe in me.

(?)

Thanks for working on the lyrics. It sounds too soulful for Norha Jones. I tried listening to it again, to no avail. It could be some new indie artist. Hopefully someone will come up with an answer.

I'm still scouting - I ran across someone who thought the vocals sounded like something he'd heard on MF Doom's "Operation Doomsday" which turns out was done by Pebbles - which means nothing to me of course. Anyone else?

Okay, I dug a little deeper on her, she released a few late '80s albums, dance type music - nothing that sounded like this song....

No, not Pebbles. I remember her and that's not her voice. I have Rhapsody and listened to MF Doom and some of the albums that he was featured on. True it sounds like some of the music that Adult Swim uses inbetween comercial breaks, none of them sounded like the song that we're looking for.

Thanks, for the suggestions. I'm still looking

It reminds me of Roberta Flack, "Feel like makin' love". It has almost has her sound. Or, I could just be crazy.

She only appeared on two MF Doom tracks; "The M.I.C." and "Doomsday." Did you listen to the song 'Doomsday'? (Turns out I have it :rolleyes: )The "Operation: Doomsday" version, not any of the remixes (it is available on Rhapsody). I think the female vocal at the beginning sounds very similar - not at all like the '80s Pebbles music.
And, if we assume for a moment that it's an original composition for the series it's not all that far-fetched - but not at all helpful. :p

I thought I was the only one that was looking for this song. I have googled the hell out what lyrics I could make out in the episode. This is very frustrating not being able to find out who it is. I agree with those who said that is very reminescent of Roberta Flack's song. I thought it could be an artist called Iwayne.

Back