Sneaker Pimps

Enyone

Pro Member
Reaction score
I love love the song "6 underground" and today I was trying to understand what exactly shes meaning. Any suggestions or theories?

Well here are the lyrics in case anyone else wants to take a stab. I have no clue what they mean :D

6 underground

Take me down, 6 underground,
The ground beneath your feet,
Laid out low, nothing to go
Nowhere a way to meet
I've got a head full of drought,
Down here, so faroff losing out
Round here,

Overground, watch this space,
I'm open to falling from grace

Calm me down, bring it round
Too way high off your street
I can see like nothing else
In me you're better than I wannabe
Don't think 'cos I understand,
I care, don't think 'cos I'm talking we're friends,

Talk me down, safe and sound
Too strung up to sleep
Wear me out, scream and shout
Swear my time's never cheap
I fake my life like I've lived
Too much, I take whatever you're given
Not enough,

I got this from the Sneaker Pimps' Website. Maybe it'll help...

Sneaker Pimps' Singer Gets Moody On Hit
"Addicted To Noise" Staff Writer Chris Nelson
Aug. 28, 1997

Kelli Dayton gives voice to her bandmates chart-climbing tune '6 Underground.'

Watching the Sneaker Pimps single rise steadily up the charts has been nothing short of "fucking amazing" for the band's singer Kelli Dayton.

"We thought it would be way out (of the charts) by now, but instead it just climbed really, really slowly," said the 22-year-old Briton, speaking of the trip-hoppy cut "6 Underground," from the band's Becoming X debut album.

Any avid chart watcher knows that some of the most intriguing songs to track aren't the ones that debut near the register's upper reaches, but rather those that make a slow steady climb. That's just what "6 Underground" has done. The song debuted on Billboard's Top 100 four and a half months ago and began an incremental rise. For the past two weeks it has hung steady at #49.

Of course, the Sneaker Pimps are fortunate to have not only a steady climber on the Top 100 "6 Underground" has also been sitting pretty in the top 10 on the modern rock charts for the past several weeks. All of which is, in the words of Dayton, "fucking amazing."

Along with a mysterious slice of harp sampled from spy movie composer John Barry, it's Dayton's voice that effectively establishes the poison mood of the song. On first listen, "6 Underground" (shorthand for six-feet underground) actually sounds pleasant, propelled by head-nodding drums and full of airy acoustic guitar.

Then Dayton's bare-faced declaration in the song's spare refrain knocks away any hint of playfulness: "I'm open to falling from grace," she declares with dead seriousness. As if that weren't blunt enough, she hammers her disdain home with invective observations such as "Don't think 'cause I understand, I care" and "Don't think 'cause I'm talking, we're friends."

Back before Dayton joined the band, Sneaker Pimps' musical creators Liam Howe, 26, and Chris Corner, 22, had been collaborating for several years on trip-hop singles sans vocals. Dayton was fronting a Birmingham punk band when they asked her to join the group. She said that the relative peacefulness of "6 Underground" captivated her and challenged her to develop her voice in subtle ways.

"I didn't know Chris and Liam when we started recording the album. It was very off the cuff, 'Do you want to come track some stuff with us?' I wanted to inject a slow burner, an aggression into the song, but not my usual style of aggressive singing. I wanted to make it an angry, intense, sensual song."

Howe, who penned the lyrics for "6 Underground" with Corner, said that Dayton's vocal interpretation is paramount to the song's success. "We were hoping that if something was written by somebody else, Kelli would be able to distort it in her reading of it," the songwriter said. "That she would encourage a claustrophobic sort of cynicism about it. The song is really
about the death of a relationship in the most crass kind of terms."

Dayton follows in a tradition of singers from Elvis on down who make significant contributions to songs that they may not have written, Howe said. "By singing the song, she's dealing with any questions that may be raised by it," Howe said. "It gives her own criticism of the song within her own singing of it."

Too bad Kelli isn't in the band anymore. Maybe they would've had more hits...

since Kelli left the band, it's good a totally different sound to it. I can go as far to say that they're a totally different band. The second album isn't too bad since she left.

I have to add the song to my To Download list when I get some extra cash or win a free song. :)
The only song I've heard by the Sneaker Pimps was "Waterbaby"

Back