Opera Type Song

AtlasRoad

Advanced Member
Reaction score
you remember ace ventura pet detective when jim carrey bent over and started talking out of his @$$.. well he said "@$$hole a meeyo" or something like that, and it was a pun for some opera song. you hear it a lot. it starts out really menacing with just strings in a low octave maybe a cello (sp?) or something and then eventually a lady begins to sing.. anyway, what song is that?

how vague was that?

i dont think that's it. but listen to this version of the song (amazon link) when he starts to sing listen to the low octave strings in the background, the ones that sound like a sort of pizzacato.. well the song i think i'm thinking of sounds like that. i mean it's in the same EXACT time as the pizzacato in the background. ringing any bells?

it has a darker melody. like i said it sounds menacing

I didn't listen to the sample, but I can tell what it is by the name. It's better known as "Habanera," and it does fit the OP's description. But I don't understand why the character would do the a$$hole part (which, phonetically, seems to be parodying "O Sole Mio") if they weren't going to use that particular song afterwards. Ah, well, I guess I'll just have to watch that movie again. I don't think I've seen it since it came out!

Originally posted by nathanalways21@Jan 31 2006, 03:04 PM
......... But I don't understand why the character would do the a$$hole part (which, phonetically, seems to be parodying "O Sole Mio") if they weren't going to use that particular song afterwards. .......
I don't either but it's what came to mind when he described it as dark and menacing. I also didn't know how to spell "Habenera" :rolleyes: so I picked the first "Carmen" cd to pop up and the sample is so quiet you can barely hear the strings. This one is marginally better:

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/B00...osim/adtunes-20

Track 5 on this one - and you'll still have to turn it up :p

yeah "habenera" is it. thank you.

what threw me off was that i heard the song on this show on mtv. they played it as a prelude because the people on the show were going to be singing opera. well on the show they sang "o sole mio" and the string section sounded really similar, like i said, the time is EXACTLY the same. i thought it was the same song, it would start out like habanera and then change.. you get what i'm saying?

sorry to confuse the hell out of everyone.

Back