Jack Daniels

I sampled a few of Centro-matics tunes on MP3.com (Amazon doesn't have the option to sample them for some reason) and the Jack Daniels song definitely could have come from them. It is a lead worth investigating further.

Awesome news!

I'll check out the clips and see if it's them....

The song in question as a very country rock vibe, so I am sceptical that a band named centra-matic is the band...

MJL

Thanks!

And the moral is, if you don't know something, ask.

From JD's people:

Jack Daniel's currently has three TV ads that are airing, and I just found out more about the music for all three.

Though one of the ads features a song by Jane's Addiction titled "Jane Says," music for the two other current ads was written and performed especially for Jack Daniel's. It was created by Steve Rauner and Adam Reichmann, founders of the band Nadine, and features vocals by a guitarist named Jimmy Griffin (who also played with Nadine for a period of time). Musicians from the bands Centro-Matic and South San Gabriel also perform in the ads.

Just wanted to let you know.

EDIT: I asked how we could get our hands on the music and they said it wasn't available anywhere else because it was created specifically for the commercials. Oh well.

Does anyone know what music is playing in the background in the new Jack Daniels commercial? It was on TNT last night. I can't find a link to the ad.

I'm usually good at fishing out song titles on my own but I really need help with this one used for a Jack Daniels commercial. It's a slower paced song and if I were to guess, I'd have to say it's a song from the fifties or sixties. The only lyrics I could make out are "strong like a stone" or something along the lines of that. It's played while some black and white pictures are being shown. I keep seeing this commercial on C.B.C. while watching Hockey Night in Canada. Anyway, it's a nice song and I'd really like to know the name of it. Any info would be appreciated!!!

it same old type theme as the others (old photo collage with a voiceover)- but it's not the lady on the moon ("You're so cool") or Jane's addiction ("jane says").

it has a warm feel like lady on the moon, but this commercial is about friends. the only words i remember are "shine like the sun..."

can anyone name the singer/song? i've never heard it 'til now-- but would love to find it!

thanks,
heidi

also-
it comes on comedy central a lot. actually, i don't think i've seen it on any other network.

it has that old timey feel-- old baseball photos, sepia tone, aged, etc.
i caught the lyrics (most of them):

"angels watching us-
down the path down home....
___????___

..strong as the sun"

i forgot to mention, at the end of the commercial it says (typed out):
"making friends since 1958"
in large white letters.

people who watch the mtv, e!, or comedy central are more likely to know this. i've never seen it on discovery or any big network.

i've looked all over-- and keep ending up back here at this website. i guess i should give up huh? :huh:

I heard the words as "strong as the sun," but I can't find anything when I google that.

i didn't have any luck googling lyric bits ... i'm starting to think this might be an small indie band or something... the thing is, the song sounds older, like one i've heard before.
"jack daniels commercial" produced results, but not the ones i was looking for. thanks for helping look ---but i might have to give up and move on. cheers! :)

Music from the two current ads you are looking for was written and performed especially for Jack Daniels. It was created by Steve Rauner and Adam Reichmann of the band "Nadine", and features vocals by guitarist Jimmy Griffin. Musicians from the bands "Centro-Matic" and "South San Gabriel" also perform.

The music IS great, and I'd love to be able to get hold of it, too!

Donna

Some press clippings on Centro-Matic. They're not a country band in the traditional sense, but they could certainly record a song with the sound from this ad.

============

"It's unforgettable in a Neil Young or Jeff Tweedy kind of way… As multifarious as the indie rock canon it's practically everything: from the South, in the basement, smoking pot, on the porch, plugging in, plucking soft and clocking out. It's a hootenanny of sweetly weathered proportions, free-wheeling clap-alongs and perfectly boozy balladry - not to mention ass kicking pop songs about rotary wheels and shotgun shells. Love You Just the Same is what a trucker cap would sound like if it could sing. Oh, and play violin." -- Magnet

"HOT LIST! Oct 2003 - Country twang with a pinch of emo, held together by Will Johnson's raspy, searching voice. It's hearty, stick-to-your-ribs fare that makes you proud to be an American." -- Rolling Stone

=============

Anyways, Centro-Matic is a very fine band out of Denton, TX. I've seen them open a couple of times for southern rock hosses - the Drive-By Truckers. Pence is an impressive drummer to watch play live, which he does for Centro-Matic, but he could use a facial hair consultant. As mentioned, he does other work I'm less familiar with. I don't know any specifics about what involvement they had with this ad, which does feature a cool sound.

HERE ARE THE LYRICS YOU ALL ARE TLKING ABOUT. IT'S A CLASSIC COUNTRY SONG THAT HAS BEEN COVERED. WISH I NEW WHO THE ARTIST WAS.

That big eight-wheeler rollin' down the track
Means your true-lovin' daddy ain't comin' back
'Cause I'm movin' on, I'll soon be gone
You were flyin' too high, for my little old sky
So I'm movin' on

That big loud whistle as it blew and blew
Said hello to the southland, we're comin' to you
When we're movin' on, oh hear my song
You had the laugh on me, so I've set you free
And I'm movin' on

Mister fireman won't you please listen to me
'Cause I got a pretty mama in Tennessee