Help with a paper I am writing

Well I'm pretty sure I failed this speech assignment, but that's nothing new. <_< Does anyone know any helpful tips at getting rid of public speaking nerves? I'm a nervous wreck when I have to stand up and talk in front of everyone like that, it's absolute torture. :(

Give the speech naked. ;)

NO!!!! WAIT!!!!! Picture the audience naked!!!!!!! Yeah.....the audience. ;)

Me too, I hate it. :( Are you getting graded on the speech itself or how you give it or both?

They're making me take a speech class. :cry:

Both. But I'm pretty sure that my professor thinks I'm just a stupid hippy so he won't like anything I speak on.

I'm sorry :(

This is going sound strange but look towards the wall in the back of the room when you look up from your paper to explain stuff. Usually they want you to make eye contact with the audience. Personally I lose my train of thought and become even more nervous when looking at people. The professor usually sits in the front so it looks like you're making eye contact with the rest of the class.

That works better for me too, but my teacher for this class always sits with the students and the chairs are arrange in a kind of half square around the speaker so it's even more nerve-wracking. :(

I always made sure I was one of the first to do it. Get it over with :D

Originally posted by drizzt_fan14@Mar 13 2008, 08:32 PM
That works better for me too, but my teacher for this class always sits with the students and the chairs are arrange in a kind of half square around the speaker so it's even more nerve-wracking. :(
Oh he's one of those. <_<

I was always last whenever I had to give a speech in a classroom environment. I thought that maybe I would be forgotten and then wouldn't have to do it. It worked one time. The teacher ran out of time and decided to grade me on what I would have presented with my power point slides I prepared. I got a good grade from what I remember.

I'm always nervous too when I give a speech. I wish I had some good advice. But alas there is none from this poor soul. :(

I used to have to memorize my lines and then speak in front of everyone. I'm not recommending you try that but pick 3 or 4 lines and try to remember them. When you're looking at your speech and you get one of the lines you've remembered you can look up. And if you forget where you are just make sure you've highlighted the line so you can find where you're supposed to be at. :)

Back