Haunting Classical

Cosmo

Reaction score
Im looking for some really haunting classical music. Im hooked on it at the moment.
Stuff like:
Richard Vagner's - "Vorspie"
Arvo Part - "Cantus In Memory Of Benjamin Britten"

Avro Part stuff all round. I like the haunting violin songs and the piano sonatas (Beethoven, Arvo Part's - "Fur Alina"). It would be awsome for some of you to brain storm for me, it would make my day.
:D

i don't think this is really a "classical" piece...
BUT... i always thought it was "haunting" and it has bagpipes/violins

Hymn To The Sea

• Beethoven- String Quartet in C-Sharp Minor, Op 131, from the "Band of Brothers" soundtrack
  • Beethoven - Piano Sonata No. 8, Op. 13 "Pathetique" - Adagio cantabile
  • Beethoven - Piano Trio No. 4 "Ghost"
  • Bach- Unaccompanied Cello Suite No. 1 in G Major by Yo-Yo Ma
  • Mozart- Requiem - Kyrie Eleison
  • Gabriel Faure - Pavane Op. 50
:wub:

I forgot one Schindler's List orchesteral version..v.v. moving/haunting

Thanks, they are pretty good. Thanks.
Anymore suggestions? I'm hooked

"Sayuri's Theme" from Memoirs of a Geisha. also not classical but still

how about...

Verdi's requiem
or
"Night on Bald Mountain" & "Picture at an Exhibition" by Modest Mussorsky

I've got some haunting themes! In the realm of production music, New York composer Mitch Coodley has taken a familiar theme from Beethoven's Moonlight Sonata and added a soprano vocal. He called it "To Dream" with lyrics sung in Italian. Excellent. Another haunting theme is the from the last variation, the "heroic" theme in Elgar's Enigma Variations, which was music for an IBM TV spot in the 70s or 80s. One of my forever haunting themes is from the old MUTEL production library of the 1950s. It was on Disc 1, Theme 1 (really!) Yes, the very first cue in the whole production library. It was the haunting theme for the CBS "Yours Truly, Johnny Dollar" radio show. It was the last cue title music they used in the series, until it went off the air early in the 1960s. This cue is very often researched by those of us into cue music for old time radio shows. My guess is that it might have been composed by Paul Sawtell because it is very, very, very close to his music for the TV series "Voyage to the Bottom of the Sea." Style and theme are very close to the YTJD theme. However I have a whole research essay on this that I'll post some time when I have a lot more energy. Whew, enough for a Sunday morning here in the Land of Lakes. :) :D (Hal Evans)

Cool idea for a thread!!! I like it. I'm really bad with names and remembering songs, but I love haunting classical music.

You already have this I'm sure... Rachmaninoff - Piano Concerto No 2. That's a big one. I wish I had extensive knowledge of obscure orchestral pieces. :/

^ Dang it, I forgot no HTML.

Also, less piano, but haunting... Mozart - Mass in C Minor. ("Amadeus" movie version, if there is one)

OMG! And less haunting, but probably one of the most profound pieces ever made, Mozart's last instrumental composition...

Clarinet Concerto in A major, K. 622 2. Adagio
Composed by Wolfgang Amadeus Mozart
Performed by Academy of St. Martin-in-the-Fields
with Jack Brymer
Conducted by Neville Marriner

...and the entire "Out of Africa" soundtrack by John Barry. ( http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/B00...osim/adtunes-20

I might be out of line here but try:

- 'Wizards in Winter' by Trans-Siberian Orchestra

- anything by Medieval Babes

- anything by Apocalyptica (four cello band playing Metallica covers)

Back