Ghiradelli Chocolate

Reaction score
Hey, does anyone know Opera music enough to tell me what the song/opera is on the Ghirardelli chocolate squares commerical on tv. I've heard it before in movies too, but I can't recall the name of the movies either.

:) I would love to know the name of that piece as well. It has been running through my head for days now. I am considering joining the music appreciation class at my college just to find out what those facinating but obscure peices of music are! ;) Anyone, please help! And sadly enough, it is not "O Fortuna". It is a voice peice, but has a much lighter romantic sound.

can you describe it a little more? i know it's hard to explain opera, but like...was it fast or slow...could you tell what language it was in?

It sounds like latin, but in the ghirardelli commercial it is without the singing. Ordinarily you hear this peice with soprano femal choir vocals and the beat is:

da
da da
da. da. da da da
da... da da... da da da da
da da da
etc. It will not let me put more on here, but maybe you get the idea. It would most likely be instantly recognizable to you if you heard it.

It starts off slow and then goes into a short flurry of up and down notes and ends the passage on a low one. :confused: I can't think of another way to describe it. I would say it was Italian more than Latin.

Okay, the fomatting screwed that up, so I will do it in a line...

da....da da dum. da...da da dum, dada dada dada dada dada dada dada dada dum. Any clearer? :lol:

when does this commercial come on usually and what channel do you see it on? i'll try and keep an eye out for it...probably way off, but you could try the ones by puccini. i know people like to use his 'quando me'en vo' from 'la boheme' a lot... :confused:

I never really paid attention, but I think it plays on the networks cbs, nbc, abc...It could have been on TBS too...since we watch that a lot. Unsally in the afternoons and evenings is when I have seen it. I will pay more attention next time. I have looked into Giacomo Puccini, and his music fits the profile. I will try the peice you suggest and see if it is it. Thanks. :rolleyes:

Okay, I listened to all of the sample tracks of La Boheme and Madam Butterfly I could stand. Nada. :huh: It has Puccini-like qualities. I have heard it with just a soprano singing B) , just music alone. and choir style. I am almost certain it is Italian. I will keep looking.

I FOUND IT!!!
'Flower Duet (from opera Lakme)' by Delibes (French Composer)

More about the song I was looking for, and the opera it is from. If you like Classical/Opera music and haven't heard this, it is worth listening too.

THE STORY OF LAKMÉ by JANET MULLANY

"ACT I. In nineteenth-century India, the militant Brahmin priest Nilakantha and his daughter Lakmé gather with their followers in a sacred garden to pray for the departure of the occupying British. After the prayer is over, Nilakantha departs for the town where a festival is to be held the next day, leaving his beloved daughter in the care of their servants Hadji and Mallika. Lakmé and Mallika retire to bathe ("Viens, Mallika … Dôme épais le jasmin") and gather the blue lotus flowers sacred to the god Ganesha, to protect Nilakantha on his mission. A light-hearted group of English people break into the garden, eager to explore—two officers, Gérald and Frédéric, Gérald's fiancée Ellen, her friend Rose and her governess Miss Benson. Frédéric realizes where they are and warns his companions that they may be in danger from Nilakantha, whose mysterious priestess daughter Lakmé is regarded as a goddesss. He also points out the beautiful yet lethal datura flower. The group indulge in a frivolous discussion of whether women are the same everywhere. Ellen claims that is a crime to hide away a beautiful woman like Lakmé, even if she is revered as a goddess, and to deprive her of the flirtations and compliments that all women enjoy. Frédéric claims that here things are different, although the others disagree ("Ah! Beaux faiseurs de systèmes"), and argues that Indian women, unrestricted by European conventions, will freely admit, and give, their love. He is contemptuous of the artifices and devices that European women show towards their lovers. Neither side convinces the other. When Frédéric reminds them that the group's presence in the garden is an unforgiveable sacrilege for the Hindus, Ellen finds the jewels Lakmé removed when she went to bathe. Gérald insists on staying behind to draw the jewels, promising that he will have copies made for Ellen to wear on their wedding day ("Prendre le dessin d'un bijou"). As he sketches he wonders about the woman who wears them. Lakmé returns, pensive, and wonders why (“Pourquoi les grands bois”). She is at first outraged when she discovers Gérald, and orders him to leave and forget that he ever saw her. They fall in love (“C’est le Dieu de la jeunesse”), but she still urges Gérald to leave. When Nilakantha returns, he realizes the garden has been desecrated, and swears vengeance."

"ACT II. In the bustling market place, merchants and fortune tellers ply their trade (“Allons, avant que midi sonne”) —and Miss Benson, who is enjoying the local color with Rose, Ellen, Gérald and Frédéric, discovers the pickpockets are busy at work too when her watch is stolen. The merchants urge the English people to buy their wares—it's almost noon and the market is about to close. A troupe of dancing girls perform. Ellen has felt some unease and fears that she may be losing Gérald, but is reassured when he tells her he did see Lakmé, but only for a moment. Rose tells Frédéric that the regiment has to leave the next day, but asks him not to tell Ellen and spoil her happiness. In a quiet moment Nilakantha, disguised as a penitent, arrives with Lakmé who is worried for Gerald, whom her father has sworn to kill. Nilakantha touchingly tells his daughter that all he wants is her safety and happiness, and that in her eyes he wishes to see the skies (“Lakme, ton doux regard se voile”). The scene again fills with people, and the disguised Nilakantha introduces his daughter, who sings a folk legend ("Où va la jeune Indoue"—Bell Song). Nilakantha, hoping that the violator of the sacred garden will recognize Lakmé's voice and reveal himself, urges his daughter to keep singing. Gérald steps forward, crying her name. Frédéric, alarmed for his friend's safety, persuades him to leave, and Nilakantha, now he knows who the intruder is, plans to assassinate him. Hadji, seeing Lakmé's distress, offers to help her. Gérald returns to Lakmé, who tries to persuade him to abandon his regiment and go into hiding with her. As Gérald hesitates, a procession of Brahmins arrives (“O Dourga, qui renais dans les flots du Gange”), and Nilakantha stabs him during the tumult. Lakmé, helped by Hadji, who now offers his allegiance to her, saves Gerald and tells him that she will take him to a place deep in the forest where they will live forever in happiness and delight (“Dans la forêt”)."

"ACT III. In an idyllic jungle bower, Lakmé nurses Gérald back to health, singing a lullaby to him as he sleeps (“Sous le ciel tout étoilé”). They hear the voices of lovers on their way to visit a magic spring—Lakmé tells Gérald that when a couple drink its water, they will be together for eternity. When she leaves to fetch them some magic water, Frédéric arrives and urges Gérald to rejoin the regiment, which is leaving to quell a native rebellion. Frederic tells Gérald he is merely infatuated, and that more important loyalties, to the regiment and to Ellen, must be addressed. Gérald agrees to leave, and when Lakmé returns with the sacred water she senses that Gérald is changed. As they hear the voices of the British troops, Lakmé knows she has lost him, despite his protestations of love, and eats a poisonous datura flower (“Tu m’as donné le plus doux rêve”). Gérard finally drinks the magic water but notices Lakmé's weakness, and she lies dying in his arms as Nilakantha bursts in upon them. Lakmé commands her father not to kill Gérald; the gods will be satisfied with one victim—herself. She dies ecstatic in her grieving lover’s arms, as Nilakantha rejoices that his daughter is with the gods ("Elle a l'éternelle vie")."

is it the one with a historical black/white scene and a woman and the chocolate squares filled with caramel? :huh:

Back