Depression Hurts

ohiomedgirl

Veteran Member
Reaction score
I'm curious about the ad used in this commercial. The ad is really for a drug, Cymbalta, made by Lilly pharmaceuticals, but is shown only as advertising for a website DepressionHurts.com (ie. go to this website and get more information and we'll tell you to talk to your doctor about Cymbalta!). In any case it shows many depressed people with a voiceover "Where does depression hurt?" or "Who does depression hurt?" etc.

The song played during the commercial has no lyrics, totally instrumental with a piano and strings (sounds like violin). Sad, of course.

Does anyone know what piece that is?

Hey, I was just wondering if anyone knows the piano/cello piece they play on the "Depression Hurts" ad. If you do, I'd much appreciate a response. Thanks.

Does anyone know the classical tune for the "depressionhurts.com" commercial, with piano and viola?

Thanks

Called the Eli Lilly company and was told the song was written specifically for the commercial, and there are no plans to release it.

I feel the song is so beautiful that I'm going to write to the company and urge them to reconsider since I'm not the only one who feels this way. Their mailing address is: Eli Lilly & Company, Lilly Corporate Center, Indianapolis, IN 46285.

glenn-bob, thanks. Please write. Thanks for providing their address. I will write to them as well. I love that music.

it has individual people sitting by windows with their heads down. there's a piano and violin and it plays almost the same notes over and over.

"Where does depression hurt?" "Everywhere"

"Who does depression hurt?" "Everyone"

^ Those are the questions asked in the commercial by the voiceover.

it eventually tells you that depression can cause physical pain due to a chemical imbalance and to go to depressionhurts.com for support.

any ideas?

This is amazing! Just a moment ago I was listening to an old Ben Folds album on my iTunes. The song called "Fred Jones Part 2" started playing. And I said to myself, "Where do I know this music from?". And it hit me! It's the music from the "Depression Hurts" ads!

So I decided to come to AdTunes to see if anyone else had come to the same conclusion and I saw your Post! What timing...and quite a coincidence!

To go along with the meloncoohly music, the song's lyrics are rather depressing as well. It's about an old man that is being forced to retire from his job that he's held his whole life. Quite sad... but an amazing song that I can't stop listening to! Here's the lyrics...

Fred Jones Part 2
Ben Folds Five

Fred sits alone
at his desk in the dark
there's an awkward
young shadow that waits in the hall

he has cleared all his things
and he's put them in boxes
things that remind him
that life has been good

twenty five years
he's worked at the paper
a man's here
to take him downstairs
and "I'm sorry,
Mr. Jones, it's time"

there was no party
and there were no songs
cause today's just a day
like the day that he started

and no one is left here
that knows his first name
yeah and life barrels on
like a runaway train

where the passengers change
they don't change anything
you get off
someone else can get on
and "I'm sorry,
Mr. Jones, it's time"

the streetlight
it shines through the shades
casting lines on the floor
and lines on his face
he reflects on the day

Fred gets his paints out
and goes to the basement
projecting some slides
onto a plain white canvas

and traces it,
fills in the spaces
he turns off the slides
and it doesn't look right

yeah, and all of these bastards
have taken his place
he's forgotten, but not yet gone
and "I'm sorry, Mr. Jones"
and "I'm sorry, Mr. Jones, it's time"

My response below is to a Post from March 16... but I thought it might help to also post it here.

Just a moment ago I was listening to an old Ben Folds album on my iTunes. The song called "Fred Jones Part 2" started playing. And I said to myself, "Where do I know this music from?". And it hit me! It's the music from the "Depression Hurts" ads!

So I decided to come to AdTunes to see if anyone else had come to the same conclusion and I saw your Post! What timing...and quite a coincidence!

To go along with the meloncholy music, the song's lyrics are rather depressing as well. It's about an old man that is being forced to retire from his job that he's held his whole life. Quite sad... but an amazing song that I can't stop listening to! Here's the lyrics...

Fred Jones Part 2
Ben Folds Five

Fred sits alone
at his desk in the dark
there's an awkward
young shadow that waits in the hall

he has cleared all his things
and he's put them in boxes
things that remind him
that life has been good

twenty five years
he's worked at the paper
a man's here
to take him downstairs
and "I'm sorry,
Mr. Jones, it's time"

there was no party
and there were no songs
cause today's just a day
like the day that he started

and no one is left here
that knows his first name
yeah and life barrels on
like a runaway train

where the passengers change
they don't change anything
you get off
someone else can get on
and "I'm sorry,
Mr. Jones, it's time"

the streetlight
it shines through the shades
casting lines on the floor
and lines on his face
he reflects on the day

Fred gets his paints out
and goes to the basement
projecting some slides
onto a plain white canvas

and traces it,
fills in the spaces
he turns off the slides
and it doesn't look right

yeah, and all of these bastards
have taken his place
he's forgotten, but not yet gone
and "I'm sorry, Mr. Jones, it's time"

You're welcome. I hope I'm right.

I haven't seen the depressionhurts.com commercial since my discovery of the Ben Fold's song. So I hope other's agree with my assessment. If not... I think it's a very close match and a good "fill-in" for the actual song in the commercial.

Let me know what you think!

I finally saw the DepressionHurts.com ad this weekend and it is not the same music as the Ben Folds song.Sorry if I got anyone's hopes up

However, as I said in my earlier post, the Ben Fold's song definitely is a very good subsitute since the actual song was most likely created just for the commecial.

B) thank you for that... it is a pretty good substitute.... if only i could shut him up and just have the instumental part. hehe..... thank you though!!!

the ad shows different people all depressed like laying in bed or sitting around and the music is just a simple piano tune that is kinda sad sounding. In the ad it says something like "where does depression hurt? who does depression hurt" thanks!

Back