BMW holiday

Bellamonkey

Reaction score
WHAT is this tune? I love it and absolutely MUST know what it is.

BTW, this forum is so great...had I only know about you ages ago...

Hi. I haven't seen the commercial yet (at least I don't think), so I don't know. Just wanted to say howdy.

T'anks for the welcome!..I know my dreams tonite will be haunted by all the old tunes from commercials I have always wondered about...because...maybe now there is hope.... :rolleyes:

Love the knitting avatar you have! :D

As for the ad -- can you describe the song? Did it have any lyrics?

Hey Michelle!

Thanks for the compliment..that is me in one of my more estatic moments...like when I figure out this song! B)

Anyway, the "song" is actually just a tune, So I guess it will be harder to figure out. But in any case, it is basically a piano tune, that sounds early-jazzy...and as if it was an old, scratchy record recording. Makes me absolutely weak about the knees for some reason...most probably just because I love early jazz...:rolleyes:

The commercial itself is of various couples kissing, kissing, kissing...and at the end it is revealed that they are under the "mistletoe", which is actually a set of BMW keys. (Which I would rather stand under too! :king: )

Saw this ad. The song is actually "Jingle Bells." But, a jazzy version... No clue who by though. :(

WHAT?! Is it really?????? Am I on crack? I so did not even remotely recognize it :blink:
hmmmm...will have to listen, if I ever see that commercial again (although I am sure I've jinxed myself...)

It was definitely Jingle Bells in the ad we saw -- car driving along winding road, with the couple kissing/embracing and holding the keys up above their head like mistletoe.

oh, that might be different...I don't remember any car driving. It was just a bunch of different couples kissing. And an "old, static-ey record" recording that featured mostly a piano. Have yet to see it again, of course.
But I think the whole premise of the ad is to not let you know what it is about (why they are kissing) until at the very end, when the keys finally come into the shot above their heads.

I think I've seen this ad too, so I'll actually pay attention next time it's on. Bellamonkey, I love the quote at the bottom of your thing! So true.

I love the tune also. It reminds me of Nat King Cole singing "Caroling, Caroling", which is what I thought I was hearing in this commercial. I have only seen the commercial twice so far.

I did a bit of surfing and, if we are all referring to the same commercial, the artists are Michael Meinl and Mathias Neuhauser. They created the tune for the introduction of the BMW 1 Series. It is called "The Principle of Joy". I was unable to pull up the song anyplace online to confirm that this song is the one I have heard on TV. --smallplace

Originally posted by Bellamonkey@Dec 11 2004, 08:49 PM
Hey Michelle!

Anyway, the "song" is actually just a tune, So I guess it will be harder to figure out. But in any case, it is basically a piano tune, that sounds early-jazzy...and as if it was an old, scratchy record recording. Makes me absolutely weak about the knees for some reason...most probably just because I love early jazz...:rolleyes:

I'm thinking the song is kind of Glenn Miller/Benny Goodman or other big band type music ...Tommy Dorsey? Artie Shaw...

I'm searching iTunes music store...but have yet to find it...

The search continues..

The Sound of the tune leads me to believe that it is an older form of Jazz (or a nod to that, if it was written recently) than Big Band. It is almost all Piano, if I can remember correctly. I know it isn't Benny, as his band ALWAYS featured the Clarinet.

Thanks everyone for the responses, anyone who figures this out will be vaulted high onto my list of praises...

Oh, And MeganJane, isn't it hilarious? I couldn't stop laughing at the mental image of "skidding in sideways..."

AUUUUUUUUUGHHHHHHHHH! Adforum.com HAS the ad on its Holiday Ads 2004 page!!! It is the BMW commercial, actually entitled "Mistletoe"...Is there ANY musical genius who recognizes the song at all? Prettty pleeeze?

lol I feel like it is dangling right there infront of me...

Back