Best lyricist Ever

willbraham

Advanced Member
Reaction score
Hey its been a while but I'm still around. I hope every one got drunk St. Patty's Day. *Glug Glug* I was curious who every and anybody thought was the best musical lyricist of all time. Like Bob Dylan, Chan Marshall, Fionna Apple, Tom Petty, and so on. The info would be much appreshitiated. Thanks. Peacin-It.

It's hard to argue against Dylan being the best, but (of course) that's just my biased opinion.

Of the rest, I'd say Leonard Cohen, Bruce Springsteen, Ray Davies, Roger Waters, Pete Townshend, Lou Reed, and Neil Young are also up there. Those are just a few of the names that immediately come to mind, so I'm sure there are many more that I've left out.

B)

Yeah Dylan, Cohen and Young would be in there for me. Also Lennon, Henley, Morisette, Dave Matthews...................

It's kinda like asking who the best guitar player is. :p

Dang; how could I forget about Lennon.

Sufjan Stevens, Sam Beam, Conor Oberst, James Mercer and Ben Gibbard are some of the "younger" guys that I would include as well. Too many to list though, really. Maybe a list of greatest songwriting duos would be easier. ;)

everyone always lauds him for his guitar playing but Jimi Hendrix could write a song as well as Bob Marley and if you want to included rappers Tupac had some just strong lyrics

I'm sorry...I have much respect for Tupac, but his intelligence is NOTHING compared to Mos Def.
Mos Def doesn't rap, he reads poetry to a beat. He has the brains and doesn't follow mainstream corporate America. He talked about real shit.
Mos Def is the greatest lyricist i've ever heard.

Agree about mos def. What did you think about the "new danger" and "black magic"? I was one of the only people I know who really liked it. Because black magic is almost a re-mixed version of the new danger I found it easy to like but not nearly as impressed like I was N.D. I was really expecting a fine tuning of the direction mos was going in with a N.D. so Black magic was a little of a let down but exceptible. Anyways, thanks for all the suggestions. peacin it.

I've just d/l almost all your suggestions and am really satisfied and excited by these new artists so thanks again!!!!!

Originally posted by willbraham@Mar 23 2007, 10:41 AM
omg ray davies! lol.
<_< Yes; what's so funny about that?

Paul Simon, Van Morrison, Tom Waits and Joni Mitchell also deserve to be mentioned.

Back