SAS Scandinavian Airlines

Losthope

Reaction score
*warning* I don't really remember the commercial very well and the song even less but I do know it was a semi-popular song at some point.

The song is sort of an alternative-rock type of song. Think of a Midnight Oil type band.

The commercial is long and I believe non-US ... maybe around 2 minutes maybe a bit longer. The song plays through-out the entire comercial. I believe it won some type of award around 1996 maybe because I saw it on a website a few years ago that was showcasing a few foriegn type commercials.

It deals with a guy in some norwegian-type country landscape wondering around and maybe hitchhiking. Several humorous type scenes.

It was possible a commercial about jeans.

The song has periods of sort of an english guy talk-singing and then breaking into a chorus. I wish I remembered what he was saying so I could do a lyric search but no such luck.

Been trying various types of searches to try and find this commercial and more importantly song ... but so far I've failed

Any ideas?

Thanks

I'll go WAY out on a limb here... Guessing "500 Miles" by the Proclaimers... I do vaguely remember the commercial you're talking about, and I swear 500 miles was in a commercial around the time, I remember being absolutely thrilled that one of my all-time favourite songs was on Telly...

Where are you in the world? That might get you some steps towards solving it.

Wait? 1996? I just saw it recently .. though it could have been a site showing old commercials. Was there eventually a truck driving through the countryside at the commercial's end?

Could the song be Baz Luhrmann's "Everybody's Free (To Wear Sunscreen)"? Or maybe "Desiderata" by Les Crane?

Thanks for the help all. I checked the songs you suggested but no luck.

'500 miles' isn't the one , although I do like it.

Iling i think there might have been a truck in it at the end but I don't think it was a commercial for the truck. I'll go look around the site you suggested.

Thanks again all .... this song has been driving me nuts for some time now.

SUCCESS !

Here is how ..... I got lucky. I knew the song was from a band that didn't have many big hits so I went and checked out a website that dealt with one-hit wonders. I then browsed around 1996 and thats where I saw something that looked familiar.

The song is "In the Meantime" by Spacehog.

http://www.airodyssey.net/video/sas1.mpg

They used 'In The Meantime' on a commercial for an aeroplane company in Sweden. It was a really cool commercial; I thought it was going to be a nightmare but it was really cool. It was excellent actually, really funny. This guy ends up losing everything. It's like a minute long commercial so the single's become pretty big in Sweden.

The important thing is I now know the song ... but if anyone can find the commercial with the above info it would be nice to tie up all the loose ends.

Thanks all,
No longer a losthope =)

Wow, that's amazing that you found it... Spacehog meets the Webster definition for one hit wonder. This song was pretty big in the US... and when it came out, I had the same reaction you had... good song, who's it by? Never heard from Spacehog again. Great song, ranks on my top 50 alltime list.

Back